Journey with the 15 lb Whippet Drywasher

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are cleanups necessary when there is a fairly long lull in feeding say like, when it is turned off while taking a lunch break or for digging more feed material?

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are cleanups necessary when there is a fairly long lull in feeding say like, when it is turned off while taking a lunch break or for digging more feed material?

No but the instructions say to dump the tray hourly.

Turning it off and on is no problem.

lchavezmisc

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Season two the the Whippet is still a pleasure to use. Really is perfect for one man job. Keeps up well and is amazing how much material you can run through the little guy.

Couple of wish/tips.

Really need a way to secure the battery. I tend to move the drywasher around a bit, because its so light, to level out tailings and move from spot to spot within a short distance. a longer seat with taller collars for the battery with some holes in it to attach a bungee would do the trick. I need to look at this again, perhaps drill a couple of holes.

I did something similar for keeping the top classifier in place. It slips out of the brackets really easy so I just bungee it it to the bottom rings and it works perfect. Can carry it around, shake it upside down, whatever....stays locked in place.

tried to add a pic without luck, something with tapatalk.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Season two the the Whippet is still a pleasure to use. Really is perfect for one man job. Keeps up well and is amazing how much material you can run through the little guy.

Couple of wish/tips.

Really need a way to secure the battery. I tend to move the drywasher around a bit, because its so light, to level out tailings and move from spot to spot within a short distance. a longer seat with taller collars for the battery with some holes in it to attach a bungee would do the trick. I need to look at this again, perhaps drill a couple of holes.

I did something similar for keeping the top classifier in place. It slips out of the brackets really easy so I just bungee it it to the bottom rings and it works perfect. Can carry it around, shake it upside down, whatever....stays locked in place.

tried to add a pic without luck, something with tapatalk.

I agree about both of these points and would love pics of how you set up with bungees.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use two small bungees to hold my battery in place. I'm heading for the hills in a few minutes so I'll shoot a photo of how I rig them.

My classifier doesn't move so I'm not sure what's up with that.

Last edited:

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rigged like this, you can turn the machine upside down to shake it clean. It's advisable to disconnect the battery harness before doing so, just in case the battery does decide to jettison.
IMG_5158.JPG IMG_5159.JPG

This morning's 1/4 gram of Whippet gold...
IMG_5166.JPG

lchavezmisc

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for posting the pics....nice gold!

Here is what I used to secure the top hopper. from the aluminum cross bar to the bottom leg pin key ring. I do this on both sides.
IMG_1570.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG

Last edited:

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No problem, and thanks!

Oh, I get what you mean about the hopper popping out of the brackets. That's a good idea.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You fellas and your Whippet drywashers are becoming a club unto yourselves. Thought about getting one myself but my (3) Thompsons are field proven and " backpackable" well enough.

When it (Whippet) first came out I gotta admit I sure had my doubts. I just didn't think something so lite weight could hold up to serious mining......I gladly stand corrected

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Revising this dead thread because while looking, I noticed the Whippet web site is gone. Any updates? Is he still in business? I'm still in the shopping around mode so are there any new and better suggestions? Or is the Thompson still the other best of the best? Let me know if he's still in business and post some other light weight great dry washers for us all to look at. The new Keene's just.... naw...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Revising this dead thread because while looking, I noticed the Whippet web site is gone. Any updates? Is he still in business? I'm still in the shopping around mode so are there any new and better suggestions? Or is the Thompson still the other best of the best? Let me know if he's still in business and post some other light weight great dry washers for us all to look at. The new Keene's just.... naw...

Not sure. I noticed the site was down when someone here mentioned it to me because I had a link to his site on mine. So anyway, I sent him an email and it came back undeliverable. Eeek.

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He was in the middle of building a few, He has been sending me progress reports, which included pictures of progress. I'm supposed to be the first of the next 10 to go out. He hasn't wanted any money up front, even though I have offered full payment several times. Hopefully it's just a oversight with his website.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you’re right Bruce!

If not we can still meet up to Drywash with mine :)

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hope you’re right Bruce!

If not we can still meet up to Drywash with mine :)
I really hope it's a oversight. Or at worse he is just going to fill the last few orders. If not we will have to get by with one drywasher or a whippet and a Thompson.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really hope it's a oversight. Or at worse he is just going to fill the last few orders. If not we will have to get by with one drywasher or a whippet and a Thompson.

Have you been waiting for it 11 months now? Or did you order it later? It is a great looking unit!

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He was in the middle of building a few, He has been sending me progress reports, which included pictures of progress. I'm supposed to be the first of the next 10 to go out. He hasn't wanted any money up front, even though I have offered full payment several times. Hopefully it's just a oversight with his website.

His backlog may be the reason he took his site down....more than he can handle for now so bad PR with the long waits. I hope he gets caught up and maybe inventory some and re-advertise in the future.

My wait was over a year (I think? Old age has already passed me...so) while he was re-tooling and I think I got the 5th unit after he was up and running again.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I started thinking about the last update he gave me. He sent pictures of what he had completed, and said he was going on a hunting trip, and would be pushing hard when he got back till the end of the year to get them completed. I sure hope he wasn't involved in a hunting accident. If I haven't heard anything from him by the end of the month I will give him a call.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread