Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow tinkerers,

I am reasonably handy and have a nice woodworking shop, an el-cheapo milling machine and metal lathe. Electrical knowledge, not so much.

In trying to design and build a 12v puffer drywasher, I find good guidance for plans and mechanical details. One of the best I have found is on Bill and Linda's Prospecting Page (Bill Fletcher?). Missing from the plans, however, is the recommended
12v motor, or specifications for a motor. I have tried contacting their site..but no response. Is it active?

The comments I find here are: "use a windshield wiper motor." Yet when I go to motor vendor pages, I am soon swimming in speeds, torque requirements, brushed or not, worm drives and gear motors. I read the tutorials and still come away confused.

What I think I know is that: I need a brushed gear motor that is sealed (dust) and with a working rpm of about 100, of the type (I forget the term) that can be speed controlled without wasting power (AZ Viper). Missing are my torque requirements. I suppose I could build the machine and measure the shaft torque required, figure in the mechanical advantages/disadvantages of the pulleys I will be using, and come to some reasonable conclusions. Maybe.

What would be better is any advice I could get from those of you who have been through this process. I am not looking for the lowest cost approach. I would rather buy a good quality new motor and speed controls from a reputable vendor. As we all know, the labor is the expensive part. My next step is to talk with motor suppliers, but I am not sure I know my requirements well enough to hear what they tell me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thurman

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Go buy one from an auto parts shop or even pull one off a junker at the yard.

Goldrabbit

Dec 2, 2014
Los angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Thurman,

Thanks for posting as I too am wondering the best motor. I have the plans from bill and got the kit from him as well but the motor he supplied seems to be very weak. It is a 12v dc motor but not sure of the torque. I have read that a sealed low torque motor is the way to go but not sure. I am hoping to find out here as well. Again thanks for the post.

Goldrabbit

Dec 2, 2014
Los angeles
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thruman,

If you look at old post by frank( he makes the beautiful ol yeller dw) he says that he uses a denso 3.5 amp Hi torque motor not low like I mentioned, but I can't find that either lol.

Rich

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a part # for a Denso window motor that I use on my mineral jigs. 75RPM, high torque 12volt. The Ford part# is E6DF-14A365-BB. The Denso part # is 062100-1941. The last 4 digits may be the "hand" of the motor...not sure. You can do a search and maybe find a pic. You can combine this motor with a 12v PWM speed control, which are dirt cheap on Ebay.
Jim
EDIT:....the ones you want look like this, or similar: you have to make an adapter to match the gear to your shaft.
98 99 00 01 02 Toyota Corolla Passenger Right Rear Window Motor 85710 02050 | eBay

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm Back,

I want to thank all responders to my request for help.Kevin Colorado, ​who tirelessly gives great advice everywhere on this forum, Gold Rabbit, who is in my shoes, jcaz gold chaser, and in particular Jim in Idaho who led me to the Denso window motors and the one and only Az Viper who tied it all together.

And to Whippet Engineering who makes the amazing back packable dry washer!, which is my inspiration. What a PRODUCT! No, it is not cheap. But having spent a career in designing and developing products, it is hands-down the best machine on the market and a real bargain. I would recommend it without hesitation.... I just wanted to build my own. Everyone thinking of building a dry washer should give his web site a long, long serious look.

First, I tried to buy the motor through some folks who make dry washers. They were not interested in selling "parts" that they had so laboriously developed, even though the motors were listed for sale as upgrades to their manual machines. Nooo problemo, I can understand that. Sorta.

So sleuthing through all the descriptions and photographs out there, I decided t
hat the best approach was with an automotive window lift motor. High torque, 12 volts, Pulse-Width-Modulated, proven engineering. DENSO, (062100 main part no.) as recommended by Jim seems to be the brand and part that many professionals use. As these motors run at about 150 rpm, they must be made to run slower either by gearing, pulleys, and/or speed controller. I decided to use the speed controller recommended by AzViper. I found a new motor on Ebay (negotiated to) $30.00 and the controller for $9.00, both bargains. Photographs are below.

AzViper's great recommendations can be found at this thread: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/424788-puffer-drywasher-power.html

My plan is to build a manual machine first to find torque and speed requirements and then a second one that is powered. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Best regards, Thurman in Florida

sk1298.jpg
$_12.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be sure and post a few pics when you're done, Thurman.
All the best,
Jim

brimotimp

May 10, 2020
Brisbane
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ7000, Minelab GPX5000, Minelab SDC2300, MD20, Gold wheel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anyone tell me how to fit a drive shaft to a Denso 62100 window winder motor so that I can use it to operate my bellows dry washer.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heads Up,

Check this out. I am told that the monofilament fabric is perfect for dry washers. I will post more detail as I wig it out. There frames are neat too if you could get or modify to the right size. Screen Printing Equipment, Screen Printing Frames items in Wholesale Screen Printing Supplies store on eBay!

Enjoy

The silk screen lets a little too much air through to suit me on my blower dry washer so I use it over my regular cloth and love it.
On a puffer it probably would work by itself or maybe use two layers.

180 mesh polyester monofilament silk screen is what Keene uses.

Click here: 3yards for $10.99 on Amazon

Last edited:

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Instead of using a modified wiper motor, I have found something that is designed for vibrating, truly industrial strength. It is 12VDC, 60 watts, sealed against everything... try ebay salt spreaders. Is the wattage/current draw too high? Definitely the last one you'll ever buy!

saltVibrator.jpg

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Instead of using a modified wiper motor, I have found something that is designed for vibrating, truly industrial strength. It is 12VDC, 60 watts, sealed against everything... try ebay salt spreaders. Is the wattage/current draw too high? Definitely the last one you'll ever buy!

View attachment 1891755

May be good for use on a shaker deck for a small wash plant. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread