12 VDC MOTOR HELP
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Thurman
  • 2 Post By KevinInColorado
  • 4 Post By Thurman
  • 1 Post By Jim in Idaho
  • 3 Post By Goodyguy

Thread: 12 VDC MOTOR HELP

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2014
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Minelab Xtera 70
    135 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

12 VDC MOTOR HELP

Fellow tinkerers,

I am reasonably handy and have a nice woodworking shop, an el-cheapo milling machine and metal lathe. Electrical knowledge, not so much.

In trying to design and build a 12v puffer drywasher, I find good guidance for plans and mechanical details. One of the best I have found is on Bill and Linda's Prospecting Page (Bill Fletcher?). Missing from the plans, however, is the recommended
    12v motor, or specifications for a motor. I have tried contacting their site..but no response. Is it active?

The comments I find here are: "use a windshield wiper motor." Yet when I go to motor vendor pages, I am soon swimming in speeds, torque requirements, brushed or not, worm drives and gear motors. I read the tutorials and still come away confused.

What I think I know is that: I need a brushed gear motor that is sealed (dust) and with a working rpm of about 100, of the type (I forget the term) that can be speed controlled without wasting power (AZ Viper). Missing are my torque requirements. I suppose I could build the machine and measure the shaft torque required, figure in the mechanical advantages/disadvantages of the pulleys I will be using, and come to some reasonable conclusions. Maybe.

What would be better is any advice I could get from those of you who have been through this process. I am not looking for the lowest cost approach. I would rather buy a good quality new motor and speed controls from a reputable vendor. As we all know, the labor is the expensive part. My next step is to talk with motor suppliers, but I am not sure I know my requirements well enough to hear what they tell me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thurman
    Goldrabbit, russau and DizzyDigger like this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10950 times
    Prospecting
    Go buy one from an auto parts shop or even pull one off a junker at the yard.
    russau and Goodyguy like this.

May 2012
    513 times

us
    Dec 2014
    Los angeles
    15 times
    Hey Thurman,

Thanks for posting as I too am wondering the best motor. I have the plans from bill and got the kit from him as well but the motor he supplied seems to be very weak. It is a 12v dc motor but not sure of the torque. I have read that a sealed low torque motor is the way to go but not sure. I am hoping to find out here as well. Again thanks for the post.

us
    Dec 2014
    Los angeles
    15 times
    Thruman,

If you look at old post by frank( he makes the beautiful ol yeller dw) he says that he uses a denso 3.5 amp Hi torque motor not low like I mentioned, but I can't find that either lol.

Rich

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3540 times
    Prospecting
    Here's a part # for a Denso window motor that I use on my mineral jigs. 75RPM, high torque 12volt. The Ford part# is E6DF-14A365-BB. The Denso part # is 062100-1941. The last 4 digits may be the "hand" of the motor...not sure. You can do a search and maybe find a pic. You can combine this motor with a 12v PWM speed control, which are dirt cheap on Ebay.
    Jim
    EDIT:....the ones you want look like this, or similar: you have to make an adapter to match the gear to your shaft.
    98 99 00 01 02 Toyota Corolla Passenger Right Rear Window Motor 85710 02050 | eBay
    Last edited by Jim in Idaho; May 01, 2015 at 09:13 AM.

us
    Aug 2014
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Minelab Xtera 70
    135 times

I'm Back,

I want to thank all responders to my request for help.Kevin Colorado, ​who tirelessly gives great advice everywhere on this forum, Gold Rabbit, who is in my shoes, jcaz gold chaser, and in particular Jim in Idaho who led me to the Denso window motors and the one and only Az Viper who tied it all together.

And to Whippet Engineering who makes the amazing back packable dry washer!, which is my inspiration. What a PRODUCT! No, it is not cheap. But having spent a career in designing and developing products, it is hands-down the best machine on the market and a real bargain. I would recommend it without hesitation.... I just wanted to build my own. Everyone thinking of building a dry washer should give his web site a long, long serious look.

First, I tried to buy the motor through some folks who make dry washers. They were not interested in selling "parts" that they had so laboriously developed, even though the motors were listed for sale as upgrades to their manual machines. Nooo problemo, I can understand that. Sorta.

So sleuthing through all the descriptions and photographs out there, I decided t
    hat the best approach was with an automotive window lift motor. High torque, 12 volts, Pulse-Width-Modulated, proven engineering. DENSO, (062100 main part no.) as recommended by Jim seems to be the brand and part that many professionals use. As these motors run at about 150 rpm, they must be made to run slower either by gearing, pulleys, and/or speed controller. I decided to use the speed controller recommended by AzViper. I found a new motor on Ebay (negotiated to) $30.00 and the controller for $9.00, both bargains. Photographs are below.

AzViper's great recommendations can be found at this thread: puffer drywasher power

My plan is to build a manual machine first to find torque and speed requirements and then a second one that is powered. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Best regards, Thurman in Florida

Charter Member
    us
    Jul 2012
    Blackfoot, Idaho
    White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO 'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
    3540 times
    Prospecting
    Be sure and post a few pics when you're done, Thurman.
    All the best,
    Jim
    russau likes this.

us
    Aug 2014
    New Smyrna Beach, FL
    Minelab Xtera 70
    135 times
    Heads Up,

Check this out. I am told that the monofilament fabric is perfect for dry washers. I will post more detail as I wig it out. There frames are neat too if you could get or modify to the right size. Screen Printing Equipment, Screen Printing Frames items in Wholesale Screen Printing Supplies store on eBay!

Enjoy

au
    May 2020
    Brisbane
    Minelab GPZ7000, Minelab GPX5000, Minelab SDC2300, MD20, Gold wheel
    Metal Detecting
    Can anyone tell me how to fit a drive shaft to a Denso 62100 window winder motor so that I can use it to operate my bellows dry washer.

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    5080 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
    Heads Up,

Check this out. I am told that the monofilament fabric is perfect for dry washers. I will post more detail as I wig it out. There frames are neat too if you could get or modify to the right size. Screen Printing Equipment, Screen Printing Frames items in Wholesale Screen Printing Supplies store on eBay!

Enjoy
    The silk screen lets a little too much air through to suit me on my blower dry washer so I use it over my regular cloth and love it.
    On a puffer it probably would work by itself or maybe use two layers.

180 mesh polyester monofilament silk screen is what Keene uses.

Click here: 3yards for $10.99 on Amazon
    Last edited by Goodyguy; May 12, 2020 at 08:10 AM.

us
    eye man

Jan 2020
    East Tennessee
    Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
    29 times
    97 ford ranger wiper motor

Sponsored Links