desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After what seems like more than five years, I was going to try placer mining with my dry washer. I had obtained a 4-cycle blower to attach to my Gold Buddy Mini. Today was the day to test it out on the back of my property by running some sand through it to see how things worked.

Unfortunately, after being dry for ages, it decided to rain, and is continuing to do so. So the test is on hold until things dry out.

I was going to go to one of my clubs placer claims tomorrow, but that is also on hold until things dry out.

Of course, I may have to wait for several months now, as this is the time of year we have the Monsoon moisture being pumped up from the Gulf of Baja.

I sometimes wonder if I am being told to forget having fun gold mining. Seems something always throws a monkey in the wrench. Caley

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the volume of course, Often you can dig down just an inch or 2 and be in dry material. Endeavor to perceivere ! Nver say Die and all that! G/L

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I didn't do any mining for over five years, and that wish to dig never went away, and won't.

What I am thinking of doing is just going for a drive to the area that has five claims, and make sure I know where they are. I am allowed two five gallon buckets of material to take with me in one day, so I may bring along some sample bags, and fill those two buckets to see if I can find a few areas where there is gold. Apparently, the majority of the gold found on those claims is fine gold, and a little flaky gold. So I can probably sift down to 1/4 inch size for those sample bags.

At least I will have something to pan out at home. Caley

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
If they only allow 2 buckets "to go" then classify your materials down to the next larger size than what is typically found at the claims. That way you're not hauling home and many worthless tailings. May take longer to classify to say 1/8 or 1/12 but well worth the time.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi GoldenI, Yeah, the club rules, and I believe they are following BLM or whatever rules, are that you cannot haul away a lot of material. I guess the reason is that you need something to fill the holes back in with. I also will have to fill in any hole I dig. That is so that critters like the Desert Tortoise don't fall into something they cannot get out of.

I will be taking along my dry washing equipment just in case the ground isn't totally saturated. We get rain out here, but it is usually either super light, like it has been the past few days, or we get flash floods that can shut down dry washing for a month or so, while the water either soaks in, or evaporates. Looks like more scattered thunderstorms for the next week or so.

I don't know what the ground conditions are where I will be going. They are outside of Barstow, California, about 100 miles by car. At least the road that goes through is supposed to be hard packed, supposedly a main dirt road. Caley

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The temperature and winds have finally backed off just a little, so I finally got the chance to test my old Gold Buddy Mini dry washer with the new Dolmar 4-stroke blower. I set things up in the far back where I have berms.

I'm glad I did this test run before I took it out. I found I need another hose clamp, and another wing nut. I also had to change out a short bolt that holds the legs on to the box. I really haven't a clue why such a short bolt was installed, but it is fixed now.

I ran just 20 small shovels of material through it, and it seemed to be working fine. But I would only know after I panned out the material. My property, and surrounding area is just chocked full of micro garnet, so this is what I was looking for in the pan, along with some black sand. I am happy with the results, as I got a good quantity of garnet trapped, and just a little black sand.

I think it should be ready to go for our club outing up in the Big Bear area this month. I just need to purchase a clamp, wing nut, and a fire extinguisher. Yes, there is now a requirement for fire suppression when you use a gas powered blower motor.

I'm getting closer to the day of my return to Placer gold mining. I am really excited about it. I will talk about what happens, once I have that first experience. Caley

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions