Anybody out there

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Am I the only one going out to the desert and drywashing?
All the categories of gold prospecting have new posts except for drywashing.

Probably cause y'all are out there in the boonies diggin' gold..:occasion14:

Finding any of that chunky stuff?

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Whites GoldMaster e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just went that one time. Found lil stuff, but it was consistent lil stuff. Which is an improvement. I happen to be going out there again tomorrow morning, as a matter of fact. Any more tips for me?did you ever dig deep, find that chunky stuff there?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to "Ken's Spot" again today, got a late start because my mining partner was still sleeping. Got to the spot around 10am, we did a causal pace as we prospected. Quit around 530pm. The gold wasn't as consistent as last time, but we did begin to see the small chunky stuff. We did take some homework for this week, a couple of buckets. So we'll know later this week how we did.

I am such a rookie, so I need the advice from veterans, guys like DizzyDigger have helped me find a good spot, thanks Mike. I hope you're putting that Fors Gold to work! I'm trying to post pictures here, and can't figure out how. I'll consider any advise a gift. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What desert do you DW? I am in Orange County, CA
I live in No Orange co. too, Cajon Pass area.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike , th O.C. 49ers are a good group and have the best claims in S Kal.. Five minutes past Randsburg and you can be on 4 or 5of their claims.. G/L

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best drywasher miner I've come across doesn't even own a cell phone let alone hang out on "social media". Ran into this guy changing a flat on washboard near Death Valley last year. I stopped to be of help and turns out his spare was also flat. I loaned him my 12v compressor and a cold beer later he was back on the road. He invited me back to his camp/claims for supper and I said OK. After traveling over one of the worst dirt roads in the Mojave, up into a steep mountain gorge we arrived at his camp. An old slide in pick-up camper, Keene drywashers, a crusty shade tarp and hand tools was it. We sat around the camp fire and shared a dinner of beans, canned meat and some carrots, I provided the Coors. A Vietnam vet, he's been out here mining this area for over 30 years. After chow, some stories and a few beers he said; "Ain't you curious if the diggs been generous around here?" I said sure but didn't want to be rude asking. He then got up and climbed into the camper and stepped out with 3 of those glass baby food jars filled with gold both fines and pickers. Stunned I didn't know what to say but he said when he needs to sell some for supplies he goes into Vegas and that most he just gives to his daughters preferring a simple life. The next morning after spam and eggs he let me detect on his claims and I found a few nice pieces which he insisted that I keep. Yep this guy was the real thing and consider myself lucky to have met him

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike , th O.C. 49ers are a good group and have the best claims in S Kal.. Five minutes past Randsburg and you can be on 4 or 5of their claims.. G/L
I checked out 49ers. They're way NORTHERN California! I'd have to drive 8 hrs to attend a meeting. I'm sure they are a great group, but I have to stay in my hood Socal. Thanks anyways

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Mike, the Orange County 49ers. They have claims in San Bernadino Co and KernCo.

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh okay. I did a Google search, and found the new 49ers and thought that was the group you were talking about, sorry. I'll look them up. Thanks for the correction.

dredgeman

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FIM Federation of Independent Miners
will be out near Randsburg on our claims from middle of Sept til whenever

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dregdeman, Where do they meet?

Last edited:

socalal99

Jan 26, 2013
So Cal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Other clubs in the OC area are: PCSC - Prospectors Club of So Cal (meet in Downey) and WEPC who meet in Norco. Lots of drywashers in those clubs.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Taft club has most of Benson Gulch claimed. The best claims going. They however have a waiting list to join. At least they used to.

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you guys know about these clubs, what should look for in a good gold prospecting club? I went to a meeting with Route 66 miners in Brea, because they were close,

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined the O.C. 39ers and Taft because of the reputation of their claims. O.C. 49 also has a great claim on the Kern River. Back in the day, it was a dream to dredge. Another club with very good claims is the Antelope Valley Treasure Hunters Society. I'm not a very social animal, I don't join to go to the potlucks and outings. Nothing wrong with that, just not for me. Some of those desert clubs have as good a ground as can be found.

OP
OP
cpomike13

cpomike13

Jul 11, 2015
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Whites SST
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks. It's been months since I went out, so I finally got out to Ken's spot at Cajon Pass. Great weather. The past trips, I'd been digging into the creek, where there's a large quartz rock. DizzyDigger tells me that that's where he pulled his biggest flack, but all I've found rough little gold.
So I decided To look At A different spot. I found a buried boulder on the inside turn of the creek. So far I did find decent gold, my biggest piece was about 1 & 1/2 to 2mm long, most of the rest was small to fine. Not bad for digging 8 hours . I still haven't cleaned up the rest of my concentrates. I'll post pictures later.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Chief. You guys getting any rain down there?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread