Going to try dry washing for the first time

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Long story made short My grandfather purchased 40 acres in Mojave back in the 60's. The family has paid the property tax on this for the 50 years. No-one in the family has ever laid eye's on it. I did some research and ended up calling the assessors office. They gave me the map book number and map page along with a set of GPS coordinates. Turns out to be using a straight line as a crow flies from Hinkley to Randsburg about a 3rd of the way there south west of Fremont Peak. My GF's brother and his friend are into prospecting and mining. They say this could be a good area. Anyone been out in that general area? we will be out there for about 4 days. Any comments? Advice?

Scott

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of mining history there. Are you outside of Harper Dry Lake?. Some of the little washes that drain into HDL have a bit of gold in them.Good luck and keep us posted. I heard that area got slammed with some rain. It may be too damp to dry wash.

OP
OP
S

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would say it is about 10 miles south east of where I am going.

OP
OP
S

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am glad to hear that Charlie. I got your PM I will ring you!

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
there is food and gas and gas at Kramer. hwy 58 and 395.about 10 miles away.have fun.
rd

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kramer Junction; pricey fuel, tweekers and expensive filthy restaurants. I say blow through that crap hole and provision up in Hesperia or Ridgecrest.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1 rule of dry washing is purchase a good dust mask to prevent Desert or Valley Fever as even the prison out there closed due to lungs of prisoners being rotted to death. Decimated the OC 49r Club of many members and a horrific way to die. ERR on the side of caution and live to ripe old age working that family property.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
you should try harder to tell us what you really think!!:laughing7:

Kramer Junction; pricey fuel, tweekers and expensive filthy restaurants. I say blow through that crap hole and provision up in Hesperia or Ridgecrest.

OP
OP
S

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would to update the results of my first dry washing experience.

The Drive there was pretty much bland with the exception of the last 6-7 miles or so. Instead of taking Hoffman all the way we cut west and picked up the skinny dirt trail to where my property is. There was 1 section where the road/trail veered into and through a wash. The sand in the bottom was a bit deeper then I was conformable with, But we made it through and realized that we could not go out the same way. All 3 trucks were loaded, Mine with a camper and trailer, My Bro in law towing a pop up and the last truck had the 4x4 atvs. The darn road I will call it that from now was so darn narrow that it scratched the the sides of my truck pretty well. AS we came up the road we noticed to our left was a large group of RV's parked. We made it to the property and parked our trucks wagon train fashion and started to set up. While doing this we heard gun fire quite a bit actually. It was that large group of RV's. Turns out they were a gun club. Next thing I know a red 4x4 pulls up to our camp and we are questioned by the occupants. Seems they were shooting in our direction and wanted us to move. I stood there looking at this guy and I am thinking unkind thoughts. I said we are not moving I am on my property, His response was this BLM land and I said no, its my land and here are my documents. I then said this is an off road area and it is clearly posted by trail markers and signs. Your a gun and you should know the rules. 1) you don't shoot across a road way 2) shooting in a designated off road area is also illegal. I asked him why are you not shooting into the hillside at the very least instead of firing in open desert with no back stops. They were very unhappy but agreed they would change direction. We continued to set up camp and get settled.

The next day we found a promising looking spot where the rocks coming out of the hillside looked like they formed a natural set of riffles. So we cleaned those out and vacuumed it all moved some big rocks and dug underneath. We brought back 3 buckets from sampling different areas that surrounded us I would say we probably ran about 25-30 buckets thru the dry washer cleaned it out brought back the cons to camp for clean up along with the samples. I took along a 55 gallon drum of water and set up my sluice in a recirculating set up and we ran the buckets and cons. Just traces of color in the cons and the first bucket of samples we found some nice color but mostly fly poop sized. We went back to that hole the next day but we could not find anymore color. Spent 4 days out there had a blast and I am looking forward to giving it another shot soon. Weather was perfect, 80 in the day and about 45-50 at night. I enjoyed my first time dry washing. I may even invest in one to add to my current set of equip. Just darn dirty work all that dust is truly awful, Good thing we had lots of respirator masks. We did find a mine up there called 3 bells if that sounds familiar to anyone.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scoy, sometimes drywashing really starts to resemble work. Then again, you can get lucky sometimes. Glad you found a little. Now is the time to prospect around and find alot. Good luck

OP
OP
S

scoy

Aug 25, 2014
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
rodoconner it felt like work specially when we were in a trench digging. I agree Find alot from your mouth to gods ears!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions