desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Twentynine Palms, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've finally given up until things cool down around October or so. The heat is back, and the winds just won't go away, especially when I make plans to go digging. So no more digging for a while. Maybe do a little backyard gold mining like I just did, though it doesn't keep me in shape just panning things. CaleyAnn

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like time for a road trip to somewhere cooler, wetter or both :)

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, You certainly hit it right about cooler and maybe wetter. Today was near the century mark, and the next week is forecast for over 100F. So no more digging in the desert. Our club has some claims up on Big Bear Mountain that I should check out. I think it only is getting into the mid-80's, and supposedly, if there is still runoff from whatever snow they might have gotten, you can use a hand sluice. I have one I have never been able to use. Otherwise, I probably can use my dry washer. Yup, should do a recon mission up there to check out the three claims. CaleyAnn

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a question for experienced diggers. I have been getting about 1/2 gram per 1/4 yard of material run through my dry washer each day I dig. Is that a good amount of gold for the material moved? CaleyAnn

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a question for experienced diggers. I have been getting about 1/2 gram per 1/4 yard of material run through my dry washer each day I dig. Is that a good amount of gold for the material moved? CaleyAnn

Ever watch Gold Rush... They keep trying to hit $10 a yard.. That's approx 1/4 gram a yard.. Your 1/2 per 1/4 is 8X that... 2gm/yd...

I'd be out of my mind ecstatic at 2gm/yd.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes, I consider 2 grams to the yard good so your right in there. Eventually you may experience a 1/4 oz clean out of the riffle tray and say to yourself; " I'll be darn, shoveling my but off and eating drywasher dirt really can pay well"

*Also Caley, you need to get a Gold Bug 2 to go over your header/tailing piles at the end of the day. I promise if you don't others will and after all that work YOU deserve to find that 4 gram chunk and not some roving interloper on a quad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hard Prospector, The Coolgardie claims are what is left of the old time prospectors. They got all the large stuff. The largest flake I have gotten with a quarter in screen was less than 1/8 inch diameter. How they missed that I don't know. The majority of what I find is less than 30 mesh, and much of that is less than 50 mesh.

I have a Bounty Hunter Time Ranger metal detector, but never use it in this area because of both the weather, and the critters. The only time I really ever metal detected was while I was in the service stationed at Barksdale AFB, and when I started detecting, in Italy. I did pretty well, but just don't have the patience to do this alone. I can bet I would probably have more fun if I were part of a group out detecting, but there aren't any in my area. The detector I have has not seen action in probably 14 years. CaleyAnn

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've gotten nuggets up to 3 grams in Coolgardie and many out of abandon header piles. Seen some nice specimens come off the Two Quartz claims(Barstow)

I just can't believe how many drywashers won't swing over their rubble and that's OK.......... more for me.

OP
OP
D

desertgolddigger

Bronze Member
May 31, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figure if I am Picking up gold down below 100 mesh, I probably am not missing anything larger. Anyway, the metal detector I have has a hard enough time sounding on a flake of gold just lying on the surface. It is not really designed for gold. It struggles to pick anything up, other than junk. My best metal detector is the one I purchase back in the early 70's, which I no longer own. It was a White's, with just an on/off switch and a couple of knobs to twist for setting it up. It worked better than this more expensive detector I have now. Like I said, I might try a detector if I had someone to go with, and help me set this monster I have now up. For now, I am having fun dry washing, whenever our horrendous weather permits the activity. CaleyAnn

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I figure if I am Picking up gold down below 100 mesh, I probably am not missing anything larger. Anyway, the metal detector I have has a hard enough time sounding on a flake of gold just lying on the surface. It is not really designed for gold. It struggles to pick anything up, other than junk. My best metal detector is the one I purchase back in the early 70's, which I no longer own. It was a White's, with just an on/off switch and a couple of knobs to twist for setting it up. It worked better than this more expensive detector I have now. Like I said, I might try a detector if I had someone to go with, and help me set this monster I have now up. For now, I am having fun dry washing, whenever our horrendous weather permits the activity. CaleyAnn

If you have not tried it already....it is possible that you will have better performance from your detector on gold if you can set it to an all metal mode with little to no discrimination. I glanced at the Bounty Hunter manual (you mentioned one in another post) and it looks like you can customize your settings.

You might take it along when you go drywashing and check your and maybe others tailings piles at the end of the day. That shouldn't take too long and may give you some welcome surprises.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread