Fabric for puffers - spray on type sealer?

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bellows Fabric for puffers - spray on type sealer?

I have been going over my Thompson puffer lately, just examining and learning it.
My attention was drawn to the Material used for the Bellows.
Mine is basically a Canvas or Denim type material (Cotton?) and it no doubt allows air threw its weave.
So I got to wondering about possibly finding a spray-on type coating that might help reduce that air loss,
yet not effect it's flexibility at all.

Has anyone thought about this and if so, have you investigated?
My first thought is the "Parts Dip" brand, spray-on rubber or the Flex-coat you always see on TV.
Just a very thin application that seals the weave a little better.

Some day I will have to replace the Bellows material, and I'm sure there are better/newer materials with denser weaves that I can replace with, but until then I'm just thinking how to bump up the efficiency as it is.

And if I'm over thinking it, please let me know that too :icon_thumleft:

G

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah G, I think you might be over thinking it buddy. Replacement cloth use musln, preferably Indian head. Just go to the Miner's section at Hancock Fabrick lol

1krazeepolack

Sep 1, 2009
Buckeye, Az
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also use an older puffer. When it was time to replace the bellows, I used material from an older RV awning. So far, it is holding up better than I expected!!

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Beck so there is no canvas on the bellows. It does have a canvas bottom on the hopper. I keep it coated with Valspar clear latex paint. Works well for this application. A bellows needs to be supple, I would think any kind of coating would hinder it being so. Probably best to replace it with new canvas when needed.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Maybe see if you can get some of the material Whippet Engineering uses for theirs?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread