Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I used muslin for the cloth and set it at about 25 degree.
Here's a vid of mine in action.
Good luck and the gold seems heavier when you find it with stuff you build.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Crap dude, now thats do'n it depression era style! Working that machine would finish off my jacked rotator cuff for sure. Do ya have a craving for beans, canned sardines, stale biscuits, warm beer and whiskey after a day of working that thing? Nice operation Mike, thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike, I was thinking about using electrical tubing for legs too.
I'll probably set up a 12v motor on mine. Butter hoping to make mine pretty light.

Thanks

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crap dude, now thats do'n it depression era style! Working that machine would finish off my jacked rotator cuff for sure. Do ya have a craving for beans, canned sardines, stale biscuits, warm beer and whiskey after a day of working that thing? Nice operation Mike, thanks for sharing.

:laughing7: Now that's funny, I don't care who you are....

Good job Bodfish!! Nice DIY rig!
And good use of old Crutch legs.
I may "borrow" that idea for my Thompson, which has very heavy - Steel legs. I can shave a good 6+ lbs going to aluminum legs.

Any chance you have a pic of your clean out from that video?

Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
Primary Interest:
Other

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
Primary Interest:
Other
I like beans --- sardines-- warm beer if you put a olive in it -- whiskey --- I'll pass on the stale biscuit.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the thing, I want it to be small enough for sampling, yet big enough for 1 or 2 to feed it if a good spot is found.
The ol' yeller design I like a lot. I'll want to be able to pack this a short distance if needed. Maybe try and figure out how to make it both hand cranked and 12v.

Thanks again

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice haul Bodfish!

OP
OP
S

shadowulf

Apr 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a copy of Bill's plans, and a copy of the old Popular Mech plans.

I like the canvas hopper and "wings" on the PM plans. I like the motor/crank setup of Bill's.
I was thinking about a sliding riffle tray, using clamped bars across to hold the tray in place.
But one step at a time.
We have a nice fabrics warehouse near here, and I'm sure I wont be the first to ask about materials for a drywasher..

thanks

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Bodfish Mike,

In your video, your lower riffles are puffing up quite nicely when running.
All the Riffles seem to about the same amount of lift, which looks great.

My Thompson did not have the same action and I think she needs some work in this area.
My lower riffle action was more like the overflow dirt just cascading over the riffle - no real puff of air bouncing it up and over the riffle.

I know for sure flaps inside the box are starting to curl and not lie flat, so I know air is blowing by them and not getting forced up into the riffle board. So I will be looking for replacement material.

My questions to you are,

Did you follow the Bellows plan exact, when following Bill's plans?
Did you go with just one 6" hole for air intake?
Also, what did you use for the Intake hole/flap material? Thin sheet rubber as in the directions?
If not, may I ask what you did use?

Thanks and cheers!!

G

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
Primary Interest:
Other
Gbone -- I think i used a 4" hole saw for the hole and I used an old computer mouse pad for the
flapper (not in Bodfish right now to measure)--- I like to use stuff I have lying around and improvise.
Did not use bill's plans exactly but they are great guide lines.
Sounds like maybe you have an air leak -- -maybe try some tape under the upper riffles to create a dead air air space
and that might equal it out.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bodfish Mike,

My Thompson did not have the same action and I think she needs some work in this area.
My lower riffle action was more like the overflow dirt just cascading over the riffle - no real puff of air bouncing it up and over the riffle.

I know for sure flaps inside the box are starting to curl and not lie flat, so I know air is blowing by them and not getting forced up into the riffle board. So I will be looking for replacement material.

My questions to you are,

Also, what did you use for the Intake hole/flap material? Thin sheet rubber as in the directions?

Thanks and cheers!!

G

Thinking about the lack of air action on the lower riffles....Bodfish may have a partial solution by taping up some of the area but another solution may lie in changing the angle of the riffle tray so that it is flatter or maybe even changing the feed rate or a combination of both. If any of the segments of the riffle tray have areas that are bare of material on them, or the layer of dirt is thinner on them, then that is where the air will mostly blow through since that is the path of least resistance. You also may be right that you are not getting a good seal on the hole so that is a good first step to address then play with the angle/feed rate if the seal doesn't solve the problem.
Good luck.

Last edited:

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Bodfish Mike,

My questions to you are,

Thanks and cheers!!

G
I usually replace a couple flaps on my Thompson every year, if one starts to curl up even a bit it effects performance. Could have something to do with the working conditions in the box(dry and dusty) Call Bill and he'l send you the pre-cuts ready to glue in place after scrapping off the old one.

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copy that. Thnx HP.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread