keene's new monster drywasher video

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nothing your doing can negate the S.M.W or affect what regulations you must work under. Any hassling will be because of what your doing not because you have a small miners waiver and are running "commercial" equipment. There is no wording that even creates a connection it's just a form to allow small operators from having to pay maintenance fees. If your a big company you have more than ten claims they make you pay the maintenance fee for every 20 acre portion of ALL of your claims. If anything its a way to keep outfits from claiming up everything they can. Its not like they make concessions for large companies with dozens of claims because they have zero equipment on them or are only running small exploratory ops. Nothing to do with how you are mining just how much land you are claiming and has no influence on why agencies will "hassle" you.

Agreed brother........We've kicked this dead horse enough I think

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't want newer prospectors to be confused about what a S.M.W is and why it exists. The conversation was more relevant to N.O.I and P.O.O criteria so it could get confusing. The more educated prospectors are the more educated the agency enforcers will be. If your out working and convinced that someone can come on your claim and enforce rules that don't even apply to you, then you lose before you even start. Spending time creating more of those people fearful of and uninformed about our rights just feeds into their (agency) hopes and agenda.

Making sure people who read these threads can understand the whats, where's and why's. Not the beliefs based on hypotheticals is way more important to the community than some dang horse who isn't even pulling the cart anymore. Also miners use burros and mules they're more stubborn and sure footed like their owners:tongue3:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under SMARA, the Surface Mining And Reclaimation Act, the size of the area disturbed/cubic yards moved ,who, what and where ALL come into play. First is a NOI which they have prescribed timeline to reply(send all notices certified). If they decide a POO is required yet again the prescribed timelines kick in again and all notices back and forth from each party must comply with timelines. Specific performance bonds, reclaimation bonds and other restrictions can be arbitrated. Even a simple 2 dredge project on the SF American on my claims required both plans and bonds a few years back....oops ban on for season 8 so awhile ago. Step by step it's not that hard, I've filed dozens of plans for many folks and clubs and it really depends what entity your dealing with as some are not so bad(FS) and some insane(BLM). Your contact within the entity is paramount to your success so good attitude goes a long way. Started yet another for some friends a week ago so shall see whatzup with new BLM management up here as many retired in the past 5 years,over half YAHOO,,,John...Lots of luck as the BLM even has engine hp restrictions out there for over 25 years now sic sic sic

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Few miners try harder that I to play by their rules John as my claims in this area actually have good road access which is a blessing and a curse. These people can do a drive by at anytime...... and they do. That, along with working in the middle of the "Desert Tortoise Protected Area and I'm constantly being watched. Diligence and daily reclamation has gone a long way keeping me out of trouble. Most of the BLM people that I interact with have been reasonable and I've gotten to know a few quite well. Occasionally, "a fresh one" will transfer into the district with their own lofty ideals on how things should be and stir things up. The Rand Mining District reorganized last year and that's had a huge effect in asserting miners rights, maintaining right of way to claims and preventing more closures.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day our club the OC 49rs had quite a few desert claims in Coolgardie, Randsburg, Dusenburg and others. We'd meet with any entity needed yearly to hash out the truth vs the supposed interpertations they threw at us. In the 7 years I was there we did not get a single citation so by simply gettn' the bs outta the way prior to a start of a season worked wonders. Wow in the Tortoise area KUDOS as that is a tough egg to crack for sure. My mantra has always been lean, mean and clean and that's 95% of the hassles removed. Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Relichunter1

Feb 2, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect for private property ....add a mini excavator and your in business. Hey John, my wife and I were members of the OC 49ers back in the early to mid 90's. Think Tom Grogan was the president...had a great time at the Puppy Feet claim eating dust drywashing ....they had a large puff drywasher they fed with a loader and used for common digs. I spoke to Mark Keene a few weeks back and they want to make this unit strong enough so it can be fed by a mini excavator...after this heat wave they will be doing another test run, will be posting it when they are done with he new testing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread