Gold by Albuquerque New Mexico - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Gold by Albuquerque New Mexico

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2017
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Haha when you said I got way off topic🤣🤣🤣 haha
    mpgken likes this.

Jan 2017
    8 times
    Thanks for sharing I'll stay away from that military site
    mpgken likes this.

us
    Oct 2016
    Montana in winter and Yukon in summer
    66 times
    One thing that would make it easier for you would be to screen the material down before running it. All the gold will be very small so you could screen down to minus 20 or smaller and just run that. A few buckets of minus 20 could be taken to the Rio Grande and run. No one would see any difference in the color of the water!!!

I am not a fan of drywashing. I always use water. Classifying your material will help you capture more gold no matter how you run the material. There are dry washes all over your area and any of them could have gold too.

Next time I come down to visit family I plan on hitting a few washes and maybe even around the mountains. Probably won't be there until next Christmas/new years holiday but will still get out since it doesn't really get cold there and there isn't much snow to speak of. My younger brother lives way out on the west side and there is a lot of ground I would like to check out by him. We'll see how things work out and maybe we can meet and eat some of that great NM Mexican food!
    magrudersGold and Goodyguy like this.

Jan 2017
    8 times
    Sounds good to me. I love dry washing but anyways the weird "gold " I get is from the desert behind me sometimes there's literally random piles of rock mixed with dirt I just work that. I know it can't be natural cause it doesn't make sense but I don't know where it could come from to be honest

us
    Oct 2016
    66 times
    Do you have any pictures? That might help.

Years ago excess dirt from building sites was dumped wherever a truck could get to. The west side wasn't built up at all. The west side was thought of as worthless for building and ABQ grew north, east and some south around the AFB/Labs towards Belen. It wasn't until about the 80's that the west side was starting to be built on and that mainly happened because Intel built out there. Rio Rancho is a young city.

Back when I was a kid no one wanted to live on the west side because of all the blowing dirt and lack of water. Traditionally people build and live near water so along the Rio Grande was the main target of building and up towards the Sandias. Belen and Corrales were more like tiny villages and so was Bernalillio. It was a long drive to any of these places and was all desert.

If someone was building houses they would dig the dirt for foundations and need to dump it someplace. So they would drive out to any part of the desert and dump the excess dirt. Dirt is dirt and it doesn't matter where it is put. In addition, Sandia Labs and Kirtland AFB built a lot. Including at the Labs they have a huge pit just like the University Pit only bigger. And remember I said in my earlier post that the Manzano mountains are hollow, well they had to dump all that dirt somewhere. Not saying your find is from any of these places but it is possible. Of course if it is from any of them you won't be able to do anything about it now.

Don't know exactly where you are but if you ever hear sonic booms it is most likely coming from the Labs in their pit where they are testing something. Now days there are too many airplanes in the sky and people think the booms come from the planes but unless they are fighters or other fast military planes they don't make sonic booms and those booms come from the pit at the Labs. Anyway, that pit and the University Pit had a lot of dirt removed. If you have been to a Lobos Basketball game or been to the Pit for any other reason you won't have an idea of how much dirt was removed. They didn't just dump the dirt all in one place.

Unless you have some reason to be at the Labs and near the pit they have, you'll never see it. It is enormous. All the different contractors will dump the dirt in different places and so it is likely your random piles are there because of some of this kind of dumping.

Another place to be careful of is the abandoned airport on the west side. Only dig there with good protection and don't dry wash that dirt. There are some very deadly cancerous chemicals in the ground there. If you don't know where the airport was/is find an older map or ask a local. Personally, I wouldn't touch the dirt there for any reason. If you don't find anyone who can tell you and since you are in the hot air balloon capital of the world find a pilot and ask them. They know exactly where it is. There are plenty of hot air balloon pilots in ABQ/Rio Rancho. Just get up early on Sat. morning and drive out following a balloon (chase). Preferably choose one that is staying on the west side in the open land. You can easily get in an accident if you have to drive the streets and if you do drive the streets in town make sure you have someone with you telling you which direction to go so you can pay attention to the traffic.

Hot air balloon pilots are for the most part friendly and their crews are as well. Unless you are part of the crew or help with the take down of the balloon and loading it up at the end of the flight don't assume you are part of the after flight 'party'. Those people work very hard doing what they do and they do it all year long just for the fiesta so the after flight party is a way to blow off stress and warm up. Probably the most unfriendly person on the crew can be the crew chief not that they aren't friendly but if they have just had to drive through town chasing they won't be in a mood to chit chat especially during the Fiesta when they have to fight all the traffic and they have their pilot yelling at them to catch up. Been there done that several times. Now I can just enjoy the balloons and let others do all the hard stuff.

If you want a great time and something that is a blast to do join a crew. If you want to go through hell join the crew of the president of the Fiesta and stay on the crew and show up everyday for the Fiesta! The Fiesta is not just the days when all the balloons go up. It starts about a month before and there is a ton of work. Expect no sleep during the 10 days of Fiesta.

A crew can tell you a lot about the area. They go places most people will never consider going and see things others don't see. Also as a member of the crew you will have opportunities to go up in the balloon. What you see up there may help you with the ground you are dealing with. Balloons travel at slow speeds so you have plenty of time to look down and study the ground and the formations on the ground. You can see things you won't ever see while staying on the ground.

If you join a crew, wait for the time when the pilot asks if you want to go up. When that happens ask him if he'll fly over an area you would like to look at as long as it is not in town. Don't ever ask a pilot to fly in town. That is a deadly flight and pilots will not appreciate it if you ask and may kick you off the crew.

Post some pictures of the rocks. Maybe that will help.

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1790 times
    Just to add some things I find interesting. In the Manzano Mountains the military has made very long tunnels.
    They are a nuke stockpile. I worked for a mechanical contractor that would do work all over the base and the tunnels
    would, on occasion, be contracted. Super secure to the point a guard can only go so far before passing to another.
    There is even a morgue in the Mountain.
    I stopped bidding work on base as after 911 access was too much of a hassle. Frustrating when I'm loaded up and can't
    access the base because of a shutdown.

Sonic booms haven't been allowed over resi areas for awhile. The news will announce when an explosion is scheduled.
    That's ok if one watches the news.
    If you have real soil it was most likely a transplant as the West side is a sand box.
    Before Intel there was Amrep. They built RR initially by heavy advertising back East. The people that bought plots sight
    unseen were shown their land by a guy carrying a side arm. If someone asked why he'd say coyotes or something. Some
    thought it was more likely to settle down Easterners when they saw what they had bought. Much had no utilities or good roads.
    I can still find signs West of here saying For Sale with the same problems. No water, electric etc.
    Amrep was later successfully sued for fraud.
    RR has changed a bunch since then.
    I have some fears about more development West. I once listened to a scientist who talked about West side water. He said RR water
    doesn't come from Abq aquifer as was previously thought but from the Jemez aquifer North and West. He felt development could dry
    it up. At that time it was thought Abq aquifer was the size of Lake Superior. That's no longer the consensus.

There are a number of books on placer gold here. A short drive to my favorite mineral place, Moma's Minerals carries them. Her store
    is now by the Natural History Museum.
    mpgken, Goodyguy and russau like this.
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Oct 2016
    66 times
    Oh, yes. I remember Amrep and the scam of selling those plots. A lot of people were ticked off. I had forgotten about that. I also forgot about the morgue in the mountain. Have you ever wondered who is really in the morgue? Maybe those who wander too close to the fences!! Or maybe the Roswell aliens! Twilight Zone!

I never liked going there because I always felt if I screwed up with a wrong turn or unloaded in the wrong place it would be all over for me! I got lost in the Labs one time and the military police came quickly to 'help' me find my way! One wrong turn and you can get seriously lost there. They knew I was legit but it was a bad experience. I never got lost after that. I made sure I knew the exact roads and turns. Any new delivery site after that and I always had them send explicit instructions.

My wife and I got married on the other side of the mountain at Deadman's campground! Now that's a place to get married!!

The growth there is out of control and people are going to quickly find they can't get water or the water they get will have to be piped in from hundreds of miles away. It's a desert, what do people think?

Mama's is a cool store. A lot of the tools and equipment, beads and so on you can buy from where they get it locally. If you don't know of Rio Grande, look them up. I used to work for them long before they moved to the west side and then for a few years after. They are suppliers to the jewelry industry. They have a show room and you can easily buy from them you'll just need to open an account and pay with cash/card unless you have a good JBT rating. https://www.riogrande.com/

Lots of good history in NM and the best food anywhere!

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1790 times
    I liked base and lab work before 911. I also did building automation work at Los Alamos. Seeing work being done on space vehicles and all the other stuff the labs do was fascinating.
    I'm ex-military and worked with nukes during my enlistment so being around military stuff was like old times.
    Rio Grande is state of the art as far as anything to do with jewelry etc. My wife does cabbing and silver work and I like to pick up her purchases there just to look around. Thunderbird is another good one but much smaller.
    Another gem at Rio Grande is their free videos on the craft to watch on line if one wants to learn the craft.

Sounds like you miss the weather and a little "Red or Green"
    Chop wood..Carry water

us
    Aug 2012
    New Mexico USA
    My Head
    1790 times
    Ya know it wouldn't really be fair not to mention to MagrudersGold about some of the more spooky things in NM.
    This is a parody on a legend on the Rio Grande among others.
    La Llorona walks the river searching for kids to scare back home.

RANDOM PICTURE THREAD - Post ANY of your favorite pictures here to share with Tnet...

Scroll to bottom
    Last edited by hvacker; Jan 12, 2017 at 01:39 PM.
    Chop wood..Carry water

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    10295 times
    Prospecting
    Green
    russau likes this.

Jan 2017
    8 times
    Nice no I wouldn't dig near a airport I'm planning to join the GPAA someday and have some places to go. I do have a pic I will post it. I really don't know what this gold is because it breaks but looks and acts exactly like gold in the pan. I think I just give up on my backyard until I find out what these particles are.
    Most gold in New Mexico from what I read is. North around Santa Fe and south west NM and kinda south. Speaking of balloons I seen one in my backyard very very close

Jan 2017
    8 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1484292660.742837.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	474.8 KB 
ID:	1401341

us
    Oct 2016
    66 times
    If you can pinch the gold with your fingernails and it breaks it isn't gold.

Rio Grande also has a 'lab' were they have people they train to be experts on the products and processes. They are experts if they are not new, and can help you learn and understand the best way to use the tools and equipment. This is free also. In addition, any question you may have about a product can be answered by the product managers who know everything about the products. The counter sales people don't usually know anything about the products so you need to ask for a product manager or one of the guys in the lab. If you have a piece of equipment they sell, they also have repair technicians and if you can get one of them they can explain what you need to repair something and can get you the parts faster than going through the front counter sales. I used to be 'THE' equipment repair tech there. When I left they had to hire 3 guys to do the amount of work I was doing by myself. I left that position because they refused to hire someone to help me! It really pissed off the tools product managers that they would not hire help for me and that caused me to move to another position.

Thunderbird is another supplier there.

Yes, I miss my family there and the red and green. There isn't any real red here and the green is barely green at all. None of it has any flavor or heat. It is funny at restaurants here if you ask for something to be hot they think you mean temperature!

But I have been here long enough the withdrawals have stopped! Having been raised on red and green it is hard to do without. When we go back for a visit our family gets tired of always eating the red and green so much! But we have to stock up for a year right?

Feb 2018
    11 times
    Hi mpgken,

Thanks for the advice about the AFB and weapon stockpiles! I try to stay well away from military bases as a rule but the base didn't come up on the map right away.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Grand Cavita Treasure? Someone mentioned it the other day and I can't find any information on it.

Thanks!

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2989 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gold thread View Post
    Hi mpgken,

Thanks for the advice about the AFB and weapon stockpiles! I try to stay well away from military bases as a rule but the base didn't come up on the map right away.

Has anyone here ever heard of the Grand Cavita Treasure? Someone mentioned it the other day and I can't find any information on it.

Thanks!
    Maybe the person was mistaken and it is actually the Gran Quivira Treasure mentioned here (Hidden Treasure and Lost Mines of New Mexico) or the Casa del Cueva de Oro mentioned here (https://www.legendsofamerica.com/nm-treasures/).
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 07, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
    Reed Lukens and KXMember like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links