Purchasing my first drywasher - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Purchasing my first drywasher

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Husband, father & fun seeker

Jul 2015
    utah
    934 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Prospector View Post
    I use the Keene and Thompson puffers. I believe its important the machine be able to function either 12v or hand crank as batteries have a fondness for failure at worst possible times. No amount of charging will work if the cells are shot.

The Keene DW212V I feel is the best portable production puffer on the market today. Well built, parts readily available and can take a beating. Notice that I didn't say "backpackable" as this unit has some weight to it. Perfect in the back of a Jeep or even lashed to the back of a quad...... but not to a pack frame.

Bill builds his puffers from aluminum with steel legs, tough, stout yet still very packable for a man in average shape. He builds them in his shop and is an expert craftsman. I like his machines so much I own three. One is a dedicated "hand crank" model that I use just for backpacking into the most difficult of places. I modified it somewhat by replacing the steel legs with extruded aluminum ones which cut the over-all weight by over 30%. It sure is nice to have a brother that can weld aluminum. Also when you own a Thompson, you bought a piece of history built by an old timer which is cool in its self.
    How's the recovery rate for 100 mesh and smaller? I do like how it has the hand crank.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    978 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    The only thing with these small drywashers is you have to classify to 1/2"
    A Drywasher is a self classifier -- you shovel the dirt to the hopper that has a screen the big rock slide off the screen to the ground. Don't see why you would pre classify if the machine will do it for you .
    Unless you need the exercise.
    Mike
    mytimetoshine likes this.
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Aug 2012
    SO CAL
    SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, F19 and the Falcon
    1278 times
    Prospecting
    Yes..... the Keene and Thompson will catch up to -100 mesh. The Thompson actually has a two speed motor and when working an area known for fines, I run the motor on slow. Any well built bellows will catch the tiny stuff because thats what they were designed for.

Truth be known, the key to maximum (drywashing) fine gold recovery is to prep the material then run;

* pulverize n' pound out the clay clods (screening them off that 1/2 hopper screen is the same as throwing out the fine gold)

* classify to at least a 1/4 or even an 1/8, in addition to effective fines recovery this also removes organics (sticks and leaves) and makes setting the feed gate flow much easier and consistent.

* the material should be bone dry and have the consistency of "baby powder" for maximum recovery.

Extra work yes but I'm confident in recovering as much gold as possible with this program.

BTW,

I would just like to add that many desert drywashers I know don't do any additional classification other than shoveling material on top of the hopper screen and rubbing it around a bit. Their feeling is that by eliminating extra steps, they move more material over-all and this works for them. Also..... even though I haven't used a Whippet, I've seen it work and think its a fine machine
    Last edited by Hard Prospector; Jan 20, 2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: added too

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    978 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    "shoveling material on top of the hopper screen and rubbing it around a bit"
    This is what I do and if I think I missing some I'll run it twice.
    Volume is your friend.

Terry comment "The only thing with these small drywashers is you have to classify to 1/2"
    why would this be the case for a small drywasher and not a big one?

PS
    Utah mason -- sorry to go off topic -- have you looked into building your own.
    Don't have a whippet but it sure looks well made and lite weight. It may take time to
    pay for itself.
    Last edited by Bodfish Mike; Jan 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Off topic
    Stay thirsty my friends

us

Jul 2015
    utah
    934 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    "shoveling material on top of the hopper screen and rubbing it around a bit"
    This is what I do and if I think I missing some I'll run it twice.
    Volume is your friend.

Terry comment "The only thing with these small drywashers is you have to classify to 1/2"
    why would this be the case for a small drywasher and not a big one?

PS
    Utah mason -- sorry to go off topic -- have you looked into building your own.
    Don't have a whippet but it sure looks well made and lite weight. It may take time to
    pay for itself.
    I haven't really thought about building one myself. Any time I consider building or fixing something myself I try and figure out how many hours will take. And if I spent the same amount of time at work would I be able to make that much money and just buy it. And would I be able to do as good of a job. Most of the time it is more beneficial for me to just put in a couple more hours on the job. I try and not work more then 6 hours a day, so there is a little time in my schedule to make a few more bucks. mainly because I try and spend as much time with my kids as possible. I try and have them at the daycare as little as possible ( even though my daycare loves and takes great care of them) it is one of the most important lessons I learned from my dad. Your time is the most important thing you possess and the one thing you have a limited amount of, use it wisely.
    I'm not doing this to make money. I just Really enjoy it and the time spent with my son is the true treasure for me.
    Last edited by utah mason; Jan 20, 2017 at 08:17 PM.

us

Jul 2015
    utah
    934 times
    Prospecting
    I really like the two speeds of the Thompson. And the hand crank.but I really like the weight of the whippet. They both look like good products. And seem to do well on the fine gold, I wish this were a easier choice.
    Last edited by utah mason; Jan 20, 2017 at 10:53 PM.
    KevinInColorado and Hamfist like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    23118 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    A Drywasher is a self classifier -- you shovel the dirt to the hopper that has a screen the big rock slide off the screen to the ground. Don't see why you would pre classify if the machine will do it for you .
    Unless you need the exercise.
    Mike
    If you want to recover the maximum amount of small gold the machine is capable of catching, you classify into a five-gallon bucket, and feed that through. It is an extra step that can help you recover an extra few grams at the end of a 25-30 bucket run. Less build up behind the riffles, less gold being floated over the riffles and off the end of the machine. Many of us run the dirt twice. Note the dirt being captured again in this vid.

ca
    Jan 2012
    Lillooet, British Columbia
    Garrett AT Gold
    35 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by utah mason View Post
    I really like the two speeds of the Thompson. And the hand crank.but I really like the weight of the whippet. They both look like good products. And seem to do well on the fine gold, I wish this were a easier choice.
    Hi guys, its been quite awhile since I posted anything and I am now looking at buying a drywasher and rather then make a new thread, I thought I would continue on this as it would be my first drywasher purchase ever. I was looking at 151S Keene for its drying capabilities, but after reading everything here, it sounds like one person would never be able to keep it fed. I live in a semi arid area so I am looking at a drywasher that could also dry semi damp material too. would the leaf blower models meet that requirement?
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    396 times
    Prospecting

Purchasing my first drywasher

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    recover an extra few grams at the end of a 25-30 bucket run.

I'm digging in the wrong hole! I'm thrilled to see one gram, total, per 40 buckets. That number is pretty consistent in my spot whether with a Gold Hog Piglet or my Whippet. I do run my material through the drywasher 2-3 times when it isn't bone dry, but no longer pre-classify into a bucket. Maybe I would if the geology at my site were different, but thus far, it has proven to be a redundant step.

us

Jul 2015
    utah
    934 times
    Prospecting
    Hamfist
    You have the best profile photo!
    Just beware of the black lung, cough cough

us
    Gbonus Uralias

Dec 2014
    Ventura Ca
    Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil. Minelab Xterra 705, Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30"). Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats. Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
    942 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Love my Thompson.
    20lbs stock, but also changing legs to aluminum which should drop a few good lbs.
    Couple lithium motorcycle batteries at 4 lbs and last all day. Crank back up.
    $250 used on Craigslist.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    396 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by utah mason View Post
    Hamfist
    You have the best profile photo!
    Just beware of the black lung, cough cough
    Haha!!! Thanks, man!
    utah mason likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10627 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by bchopeful View Post
    Hi guys, its been quite awhile since I posted anything and I am now looking at buying a drywasher and rather then make a new thread, I thought I would continue on this as it would be my first drywasher purchase ever. I was looking at 151S Keene for its drying capabilities, but after reading everything here, it sounds like one person would never be able to keep it fed. I live in a semi arid area so I am looking at a drywasher that could also dry semi damp material too. would the leaf blower models meet that requirement?
    My Whippet does a fine job of drying out damp material...much to my surprise and pleasure. You just pour the material through several times as stated elsewhere.

Btw, a 151 is what I used to run. WAY too big for one person. A lot of weight and gear to haul too...even over a short distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    arizau likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2990 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    My Whippet does a fine job of drying out damp material...much to my surprise and pleasure. You just pour the material through several times as stated elsewhere.

Btw, a 151 is what I used to run. WAY too big for one person. A lot of weight and gear to haul too...even over a short distance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you rerunning grizzly reject too?
    Last edited by arizau; Jan 22, 2017 at 11:20 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10627 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Are you rerunning grizzly reject too?
    I didn't but it sounds like a reasonable idea!
    utah mason and arizau like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links