Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Platinum Drywashing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2012
    on the rocks - so cal county line
    Gold bug pro / Whites coin master II
    486 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Clay .. you must live in the bible belt dude .
    Clay Diggins and Goldwasher like this.
    Now that the dirty work is done all's that is left is the digging

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10510 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Customx_12 View Post
    Are you always such a condescending delight? Of course, the irony is you say physics wins over advertising and every physics site I've visited says gold is attracted to a static charge. Perhaps a simple Google search before attempting to insult others would be beneficial. Otherwise, you come across as the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. You wouldn't want that now, would you?
    Stop being disrespectful and argumentive. Go try your idea in the real world...or not. Then report back.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Stop being disrespectful and argumentive. Go try your idea in the real world...or not. Then report back.
    I think you should reread the thread, Kevin, to see who was being disrespectful and argumentative.
    chlsbrns and goldog like this.

us
    Mike

Dec 2014
    Bodfish and Marin county CA
    Garrett , Whites keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
    936 times
    Drywashing , Sluicing , Panning
    Take a balloon and rub it on you head to build up a good static charge then stick it in your cons and you will see it does not work --- if it did you would see guys with lots of balloons in the gulches(do they sell camo balloons).
    Weight and gravity is how a drywasher works. Keene makes a nice drywasher and the hot air I can see working but I'm not sold on the static charge.
    Mike
    Stay thirsty my friends

us
    Mar 2012
    1640 times
    Damn, I just bought a gross of balloons! You hear of guys finding platinum occassionaly while dredging or MDind, but I haven't heard of anyone finding any drywashing. Could just be location.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodfish Mike View Post
    Take a balloon and rub it on you head to build up a good static charge then stick it in your cons and you will see it does not work --- if it did you would see guys with lots of balloons in the gulches(do they sell camo balloons).
    Weight and gravity is how a drywasher works. Keene makes a nice drywasher and the hot air I can see working but I'm not sold on the static charge.
    Mike
    Actually, I think I have seen camo balloons for sale somewhere. I think the idea behind the static charge is that it uses the weight of the heavies in conjunction with the static primarily for the fine dust pieces of gold. Where I'm at is mostly fine gold and not the fun chunky stuff.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1636 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have to agree with Kevin in Colorado on trying your idea and reporting back.

I had an argument/debate with a member some time ago on a thread called ; gold is magnetic ; or something like that. That member was hung up on the idea of using electrets and diamagnetism for gold recovery. If your experimenting try looking into those areas of research. But take that thread, if you read it, with a healthy dose of research on your own.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DDancer View Post
    I have to agree with Kevin in Colorado on trying your idea and reporting back.

I had an argument/debate with a member some time ago on a thread called ; gold is magnetic ; or something like that. That member was hung up on the idea of using electrets and diamagnetism for gold recovery. If your experimenting try looking into those areas of research. But take that thread, if you read it, with a healthy dose of research on your own.
    While I appreciate the encouragement to try my idea, I'm not sure what idea people are referring to. I didn't propose an idea. I was asking if people thought platinum would be attracted to a static charge as gold is. Instead, I have people telling me gold isn't attracted to a static charge which contradicts the research I have done and what physics says. So that makes me more confused.

Can some of you check the fabric on your drywasher and tell me if there is one sheet or two. If two, from what I've read elsewhere, the purpose is to have two pieces rub together for a static charge that helps with fine gold recovery. If not two, again from what I've read, you may be blowing out some of the fines.

I had one person here tell me they haven't recovered any platinum in their drywasher. What about others of you? Any platinum recovered?

us
    Husband, father & fun seeker

Jul 2015
    utah
    929 times
    Prospecting
    Since Platinum is heavier than gold I'm sure your drywasher would catch it if it's in the ground.
    Good luck, I hope it goes well
    KevinInColorado and Aufisher like this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2895 times
    Prospecting
    Have you done any research as to who is willing to buy what you may find? If you find platinum nuggets then that shouldn't be a problem (collectors) but if you have just concentrated fines then it probably will be unless you have a large quantity of it. Native platinum is always naturally alloyed with other metals/contaminants and thus it requires a complicated process to refine it to a usable purity that is then marketed for industrial or jewelry usage.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 09, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Have you done any research as to who is willing to buy what you may find? If you find platinum nuggets then that shouldn't be a problem (collectors) but if you have just concentrated fines then it probably will be unless you have a large quantity of it. Native platinum is always naturally alloyed with other metals/contaminants and thus it requires a complicated process to refine it to a usable purity.

Good luck.
    I'm finding out about the refining process and actually found a place that does it and buys it off of you (for a generous fee, of course). We have a lot of it. When we had the land assayed in numerous locations, the assayer sent his machine out to get recalibrated because he thought something was wrong with it because it tested for so much. He got the machine back and retested our samples and was so excited at how much registered, he wrote "WOW!!" and drew fireworks all over the assay report. Certainly not the most professional thing to do but his enthusiasm was motivating.

We thought about trying to refine it ourselves but it seems super complex with a lot of dangerous chemicals involved. Something I don't feel comfortable messing around with.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Traveling US to work
    Current Whites DFX Past Garret GTI 2500 and others Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000 Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
    1636 times
    Metal Detecting
    Custom I can understand your confusion. Fine gold is attracted to static charges but so are a lot of things. Its just not considered a feasible recovery method. As to platinum I dont know of any reports on recovery of it with static's. So if you want to try it I'm sure we are all ears.

Fine gold recovery from milled materials using flotation and various spiral pans/blue bowls are a preferred method and work with platinum as well.
    Last edited by DDancer; Mar 10, 2017 at 04:14 AM.
    Everyone Believes they have gold buried in the back yard... small wonder so few ever look for it.

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    655 times
    Mining, Detecting, diving, spearfishing, bow hunting, duck hunting, treasure hunting, real men!
    Customx look up triboelectric

Get some leather. Platinum and gold run over it will stick to it.
    Customx_12 likes this.

us
    Mar 2013
    Excalibur II
    655 times
    Mining, Detecting, diving, spearfishing, bow hunting, duck hunting, treasure hunting, real men!

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    5684 times
    Prospecting
    I found this to be an interesting read...

Selective attachment processes in ancient gold ore beneficiation
    arizau and Aufisher like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links