Platinum Drywashing
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Platinum Drywashing

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Platinum Drywashing

    Can a drywasher capture platinum or just gold? My understanding is the fabrics on the washer create a charge that help attract the gold and keep it from blowing out. Is platinum attracted to the same charge? I have land heavy in platinum but light in gold and am trying to figure out the best way to liberate the platinum.

    Thanks for all replies!

  2. #2
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

    Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    6,773
    10583 times
    Prospecting
    Platinum is even more dense than gold so yes drywashing will separate Pt.

  3. #3
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Platinum is even more dense than gold so yes drywashing will separate Pt.
    I don't have a drywasher but my understanding is the static charge plays a bigger role in the gold recovery than the density of the gold. Maybe I'm misinformed.
    chlsbrns likes this.

  4. #4
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2,071
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    The most basic principal about dry washers is that they do concentrate the most dense particles. I don't recall ever seeing that a static charge on the cloth/particles is the key factor in recovery. Where have you read that that is not the case? Here is a link that may give you a more basic understanding of how dry washers work. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ywasher+work&*

    Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 03, 2017 at 09:19 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

  5. #5
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    The most basic principal about dry washers is that they do concentrate the most dense particles. I don't recall ever seeing that a static charge on the cloth/particles is the key factor in recovery. Where have you read that that is not the case? Here is a link that may give you a more basic understanding of how dry washers work. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ywasher+work&*

    Good luck.
    https://www.keeneeng.com/pdfFiles/151editorial.pdf
    chlsbrns likes this.

  6. #6
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Platinum Drywashing

    I looked it up on a physics site and it seems gold and platinum are both similarly attracted to a static charge so I guess that answers that question.

    Next question, have you guys ever successfully recovered platinum from your drywashers?
    chlsbrns likes this.

  7. #7
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2,071
    2979 times
    Prospecting
    EDIT....MISSED YOUR POST BEFORE I MADE THIS ONE.

    Apparently gold and several other elements including platinum are diamagnetic. I read that it has the most effect on the smallest of particles so I suppose it contributes to the collection of those particles and that is part of Keene's sales pitch. Here is a post from another gold forum and you can you can google for more info about diamagnetism.

    "Offline Notorious222
    New user
    Posts: 1
    Kudos: 0

    Gold is attracted to static charge the same as iron is attracted to a magnet
    on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:35 AM
    I hope this finds someone who can apply this. There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled.

    The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. There are objects called an electret. These are like diamagnets. They are the exact opposite of a magnet. Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. They attract diamagnetic objects.

    Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You can test diamagnetism on gold. Take some fine gold powder or flakes. Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. Try it where humidity is low for best results. Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

    Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets.

    The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. You can however make them yourself.

    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]


    The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery."

    Have fun and good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 03, 2017 at 10:52 AM.
    gravelsucker likes this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

  8. #8
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    EDIT....MISSED YOUR POST BEFORE I MADE THIS ONE.

    Apparently gold and several other elements including platinum are diamagnetic. I read that it has the most effect on the smallest of particles so I suppose it contributes to the collection of those particles and that is part of Keene's sales pitch. Here is a post from another gold forum and you can you can google for more info about diamagnetism.

    "Offline Notorious222
    New user
    Posts: 1
    Kudos: 0

    Gold is attracted to static charge the same as iron is attracted to a magnet
    on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:35 AM
    I hope this finds someone who can apply this. There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled.

    The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. There are objects called an electret. These are like diamagnets. They are the exact opposite of a magnet. Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. They attract diamagnetic objects.

    Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    You can test diamagnetism on gold. Take some fine gold powder or flakes. Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. Try it where humidity is low for best results. Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

    Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets.

    The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. You can however make them yourself.

    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]


    The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery."

    Have fun and good luck.
    Great post, thanks!

  9. #9
    us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

    Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    683
    781 times
    Prospecting
    I saw a video on youtube the other day that discussed using the diamagnetic properties of gold for better fine gold recovery in a sluice box. It was all theoretical, no functional example was presented but it sounds reasonable enough. The idea was to use an array of neodymium block magnets aligned up over your riffles to use gold's diamagnetic properties to knock super fine gold out of suspension and into the riffles. I could see it working in a drywasher but the bugger would get encrusted with magnetics faster than you could brush it off, at least in some places I have been to.
    Clay Diggins likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    Husband, father & fun seeker

    Jul 2015
    utah
    540
    933 times
    Prospecting
    Thomas Edison experimented with gold recovery using static electricity and failed. Luckily for him he used investors money.
    story of thomas edison's venture into gold mining

  11. #11
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by utah mason View Post
    Thomas Edison experimented with gold recovery using static electricity and failed. Luckily for him he used investors money.
    story of thomas edison's venture into gold mining
    Interesting read, thank you

  12. #12
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,530
    10249 times
    Prospecting
    Gold is weakly diamagnetic. Diamagnetism is the opposite of magnetism. Diamagnetic materials are repelled, not attracted to, a magnetic force.

    Diamagnetic materials are affected by static charges the same as other conductive materials but gold gives up it's charge much more readily than most other conductive materials due to it's superior conductivity. The diamagnetic force is unaffected by static charges. Apples and oranges.

    The static charge you imagine will attract gold is much better at attracting tons of dust. Dust = silica, magnetite and a bunch of other hard sharp particles that abrade moving parts. Sandpaper. It will also help clog your blower cloth if the cloth is synthetic or silk.

    Abrading moving parts on a drywasher = rapid mechanical failure.
    Clogged blower cloth = less air pressure = poor recovery.

    Diamagnetism is one of the weakest forces on earth. Rub that PVC on your cat and drag it across your material - I'll guarantee you will find no gold in all that dust stuck to your statically charged PVC.

    As Utah Mason pointed out T.A. Edison failed in all his efforts to use static charge to separate gold. So has every one else who tried in real world conditions. Static buildup on a drywasher will make the manufacturers more money replacing worn bearings and gears but you will not capture any more gold and you may recover less.

    Try grounding your drywasher and you will save wear and tear on your equipment and have less dust clogging up your recovery system.

    Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Mar 05, 2017 at 10:57 PM.

  13. #13
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Gold is weakly diamagnetic. Diamagnetism is the opposite of magnetism. Diamagnetic materials are repelled, not attracted to, a magnetic force.

    Diamagnetic materials are affected by static charges the same as other conductive materials but gold gives up it's charge much more readily than most other conductive materials due to it's superior conductivity. The diamagnetic force is unaffected by static charges. Apples and oranges.

    The static charge you imagine will attract gold is much better at attracting tons of dust. Dust = silica, magnetite and a bunch of other hard sharp particles that abrade moving parts. Sandpaper. It will also help clog your blower cloth if the cloth is synthetic or silk.

    Abrading moving parts on a drywasher = rapid mechanical failure.
    Clogged blower cloth = less air pressure = poor recovery.

    Diamagnetism is one of the weakest forces on earth. Rub that PVC on your cat and drag it across your material - I'll guarantee you will find no gold in all that dust stuck to your statically charged PVC.

    As Utah Mason pointed out T.A. Edison failed in all his efforts to use static charge to separate gold. So has every one else who tried in real world conditions. Static buildup on a drywasher will make the manufacturers more money replacing worn bearings and gears but you will not capture any more gold and you may recover less.

    Try grounding your drywasher and you will save wear and tear on your equipment and have less dust clogging up your recovery system.

    Heavy Pans
    Did you read the link I posted?

  14. #14
    Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2010
    The Great Southwest
    3,530
    10249 times
    Prospecting
    Sure I read the Keene brochure Customx_12. Those Keenes sure do put out some pretty advertising.

    I made a gold magnet for sale at one time. All you had to do was to run some dirt over it and it would be covered with gold! I think the Keene's got their idea from me but it really doesn't matter - we both got rich!

    I also made a machine that pulled gold right out of the air! Just let it run all day and out popped 2 oz bars. It ran on fish oil, wd-40 and burlap. I made a fortune until they outlawed fish oil in '76.

    Quote Originally Posted by Customx_12 View Post
    Can a drywasher capture platinum or just gold? My understanding is the fabrics on the washer create a charge that help attract the gold and keep it from blowing out. Is platinum attracted to the same charge? I have land heavy in platinum but light in gold and am trying to figure out the best way to liberate the platinum.

    Thanks for all replies!
    Yes a drywasher recovers platinum. Drywashers separate the denser materials from the lighter materials by gravity sorting action. No electric charges needed or wanted.

    You asked for all replies and you got that and more. If you don't like the replies just ask for more. I hear vaseline on your drywasher will capture gold, diamonds and platinum (oleophilic adhesion). Maybe the Keene's will figure out how to market greasy drywashers?

    Physics wins every time over advertising. Maybe you can tell us more about how all this works after you get a drywasher (or a gold magnet) and spend some time comparing the different methods? I'm pretty new at this (45+ years) and I'm sure you (and the Keene's) can teach this old dog new tricks!

    You are welcome!

    Heavy Pans
    Last edited by Clay Diggins; Mar 07, 2017 at 09:25 AM.

  15. #15
    us
    May 2008
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    402
    90 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Clay Diggins View Post
    Sure I read the Keene brochure Customx_12. Those Keenes sure do put out some pretty advertising.

    I made a gold magnet for sale at one time. All you had to do was to run some dirt over it and it would be covered with gold! I think the Keene's got their idea from me but it really doesn't matter - we both got rich!

    I also made a machine that pulled gold right out of the air! Just let it run all day and out popped 2 oz bars. It ran on fish oil, wd-40 and burlap. I made a fortune until they outlawed fish oil in '76.



    Yes a drywasher recovers platinum.

    You asked for all replies and you got that and more. If you don't like the replies just ask for more. I hear vaseline on your drywasher will capture gold, diamonds and platinum (oleophilic adhesion). Maybe the Keene's will figure out how to market greasy drywashers?

    Physics wins every time over advertising. Maybe you can tell us more about how all this works after you get a drywasher (or a gold magnet) and spend some time comparing the different methods? I'm pretty new at this (45+ years) and I'm sure you (and the Keene's) can teach this old dog new tricks!

    You are welcome!

    Heavy Pans
    Are you always such a condescending delight? Of course, the irony is you say physics wins over advertising and every physics site I've visited says gold is attracted to a static charge. Perhaps a simple Google search before attempting to insult others would be beneficial. Otherwise, you come across as the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. You wouldn't want that now, would you?
    chlsbrns likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Dec 01, 2014, 02:01 PM
  2. Anybody Drywashing?
    By Mike Gibson in forum Drywashing
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov 10, 2014, 06:21 AM
  3. Drywashing...............
    By gold tramp in forum Drywashing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Jul 01, 2013, 10:06 PM
  4. I need some tips on drywashing?
    By john glassman in forum Drywashing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2010, 10:35 PM
  5. drywashing
    By northoceanbeach in forum Gold Prospecting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Jul 26, 2004, 10:35 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0