Platinum Drywashing

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can a drywasher capture platinum or just gold? My understanding is the fabrics on the washer create a charge that help attract the gold and keep it from blowing out. Is platinum attracted to the same charge? I have land heavy in platinum but light in gold and am trying to figure out the best way to liberate the platinum.

Thanks for all replies!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Platinum is even more dense than gold so yes drywashing will separate Pt.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Platinum is even more dense than gold so yes drywashing will separate Pt.

I don't have a drywasher but my understanding is the static charge plays a bigger role in the gold recovery than the density of the gold. Maybe I'm misinformed.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The most basic principal about dry washers is that they do concentrate the most dense particles. I don't recall ever seeing that a static charge on the cloth/particles is the key factor in recovery. Where have you read that that is not the case? Here is a link that may give you a more basic understanding of how dry washers work. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+does+a+gold+drywasher+work&*

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most basic principal about dry washers is that they do concentrate the most dense particles. I don't recall ever seeing that a static charge on the cloth/particles is the key factor in recovery. Where have you read that that is not the case? Here is a link that may give you a more basic understanding of how dry washers work. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...2&ie=UTF-8#q=how+does+a+gold+drywasher+work&*

Good luck.

https://www.keeneeng.com/pdfFiles/151editorial.pdf

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked it up on a physics site and it seems gold and platinum are both similarly attracted to a static charge so I guess that answers that question.

Next question, have you guys ever successfully recovered platinum from your drywashers?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EDIT....MISSED YOUR POST BEFORE I MADE THIS ONE.

Apparently gold and several other elements including platinum are diamagnetic. I read that it has the most effect on the smallest of particles so I suppose it contributes to the collection of those particles and that is part of Keene's sales pitch. Here is a post from another gold forum and you can you can google for more info about diamagnetism.

"Offline Notorious222
New user
Kudos: 0

Gold is attracted to static charge the same as iron is attracted to a magnet
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
I hope this finds someone who can apply this. There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled.

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. There are objects called an electret. These are like diamagnets. They are the exact opposite of a magnet. Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. Take some fine gold powder or flakes. Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. Try it where humidity is low for best results. Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets.

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery."

Have fun and good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EDIT....MISSED YOUR POST BEFORE I MADE THIS ONE.

Apparently gold and several other elements including platinum are diamagnetic. I read that it has the most effect on the smallest of particles so I suppose it contributes to the collection of those particles and that is part of Keene's sales pitch. Here is a post from another gold forum and you can you can google for more info about diamagnetism.

"Offline Notorious222
New user
Kudos: 0

Gold is attracted to static charge the same as iron is attracted to a magnet
« on: June 30, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
I hope this finds someone who can apply this. There is a type of magnetism called diamagnetism. Gold so happens to be diamagnetic. If you take fine powders of copper, silver, or gold (all diamagnetic) and charge something (plastic) up with static electricity they will be attracted to that object. If you put a metal plate between the statically charged object and the metal powder, the powder will be repelled.

The problem is no one can sit there and charge something for hours on end. Similarly running a generator of some type is not ideal as static generators need constant maintenance. There are objects called an electret. These are like diamagnets. They are the exact opposite of a magnet. Permanent static charge instead of permanent magnetic charge. They attract diamagnetic objects.

Electret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can test diamagnetism on gold. Take some fine gold powder or flakes. Then get a piece of PVC tube and rub it with a towel, fur, or your head. The gold will jump to the PVC when you place it near there. You may have trouble with this in a humid environment. Try it where humidity is low for best results. Winter time works great as things will more readily hold a charge.

Imagine lining your sluice (would need to be made of plastic) with electrets.

The main problem is even though they are mass produced for industry you can't purchase them from any science supply house. You can however make them yourself.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DR-tTU8uIM[/youtube]

The smallest particles of gold would be the most attracted to the electret. This seems like a dream scenario for fine gold recovery."

Have fun and good luck.

Great post, thanks!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a video on youtube the other day that discussed using the diamagnetic properties of gold for better fine gold recovery in a sluice box. It was all theoretical, no functional example was presented but it sounds reasonable enough. The idea was to use an array of neodymium block magnets aligned up over your riffles to use gold's diamagnetic properties to knock super fine gold out of suspension and into the riffles. I could see it working in a drywasher but the bugger would get encrusted with magnetics faster than you could brush it off, at least in some places I have been to.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gold is weakly diamagnetic. Diamagnetism is the opposite of magnetism. Diamagnetic materials are repelled, not attracted to, a magnetic force.

Diamagnetic materials are affected by static charges the same as other conductive materials but gold gives up it's charge much more readily than most other conductive materials due to it's superior conductivity. The diamagnetic force is unaffected by static charges. Apples and oranges.

The static charge you imagine will attract gold is much better at attracting tons of dust. Dust = silica, magnetite and a bunch of other hard sharp particles that abrade moving parts. Sandpaper. It will also help clog your blower cloth if the cloth is synthetic or silk.

Abrading moving parts on a drywasher = rapid mechanical failure.
Clogged blower cloth = less air pressure = poor recovery.

Diamagnetism is one of the weakest forces on earth. Rub that PVC on your cat and drag it across your material - I'll guarantee you will find no gold in all that dust stuck to your statically charged PVC.

As Utah Mason pointed out T.A. Edison failed in all his efforts to use static charge to separate gold. So has every one else who tried in real world conditions. Static buildup on a drywasher will make the manufacturers more money replacing worn bearings and gears but you will not capture any more gold and you may recover less.

Try grounding your drywasher and you will save wear and tear on your equipment and have less dust clogging up your recovery system. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is weakly diamagnetic. Diamagnetism is the opposite of magnetism. Diamagnetic materials are repelled, not attracted to, a magnetic force.

Diamagnetic materials are affected by static charges the same as other conductive materials but gold gives up it's charge much more readily than most other conductive materials due to it's superior conductivity. The diamagnetic force is unaffected by static charges. Apples and oranges.

The static charge you imagine will attract gold is much better at attracting tons of dust. Dust = silica, magnetite and a bunch of other hard sharp particles that abrade moving parts. Sandpaper. It will also help clog your blower cloth if the cloth is synthetic or silk.

Abrading moving parts on a drywasher = rapid mechanical failure.
Clogged blower cloth = less air pressure = poor recovery.

Diamagnetism is one of the weakest forces on earth. Rub that PVC on your cat and drag it across your material - I'll guarantee you will find no gold in all that dust stuck to your statically charged PVC.

As Utah Mason pointed out T.A. Edison failed in all his efforts to use static charge to separate gold. So has every one else who tried in real world conditions. Static buildup on a drywasher will make the manufacturers more money replacing worn bearings and gears but you will not capture any more gold and you may recover less.

Try grounding your drywasher and you will save wear and tear on your equipment and have less dust clogging up your recovery system. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Did you read the link I posted?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure I read the Keene brochure Customx_12. Those Keenes sure do put out some pretty advertising. :thumbsup:

I made a gold magnet for sale at one time. All you had to do was to run some dirt over it and it would be covered with gold! I think the Keene's got their idea from me but it really doesn't matter - we both got rich!

I also made a machine that pulled gold right out of the air! Just let it run all day and out popped 2 oz bars. It ran on fish oil, wd-40 and burlap. I made a fortune until they outlawed fish oil in '76. :thumbsup:

Can a drywasher capture platinum or just gold? My understanding is the fabrics on the washer create a charge that help attract the gold and keep it from blowing out. Is platinum attracted to the same charge? I have land heavy in platinum but light in gold and am trying to figure out the best way to liberate the platinum.

Thanks for all replies!

Yes a drywasher recovers platinum. Drywashers separate the denser materials from the lighter materials by gravity sorting action. No electric charges needed or wanted.

You asked for all replies and you got that and more. If you don't like the replies just ask for more. I hear vaseline on your drywasher will capture gold, diamonds and platinum (oleophilic adhesion). Maybe the Keene's will figure out how to market greasy drywashers? ???

Physics wins every time over advertising. Maybe you can tell us more about how all this works after you get a drywasher (or a gold magnet) and spend some time comparing the different methods? I'm pretty new at this (45+ years) and I'm sure you (and the Keene's) can teach this old dog new tricks! :thumbsup:

You are welcome!

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I read the Keene brochure Customx_12. Those Keenes sure do put out some pretty advertising. :thumbsup:

I made a gold magnet for sale at one time. All you had to do was to run some dirt over it and it would be covered with gold! I think the Keene's got their idea from me but it really doesn't matter - we both got rich!

I also made a machine that pulled gold right out of the air! Just let it run all day and out popped 2 oz bars. It ran on fish oil, wd-40 and burlap. I made a fortune until they outlawed fish oil in '76. :thumbsup:

Yes a drywasher recovers platinum.

You asked for all replies and you got that and more. If you don't like the replies just ask for more. I hear vaseline on your drywasher will capture gold, diamonds and platinum (oleophilic adhesion). Maybe the Keene's will figure out how to market greasy drywashers? ???

Physics wins every time over advertising. Maybe you can tell us more about how all this works after you get a drywasher (or a gold magnet) and spend some time comparing the different methods? I'm pretty new at this (45+ years) and I'm sure you (and the Keene's) can teach this old dog new tricks! :thumbsup:

You are welcome!

Heavy Pans

Are you always such a condescending delight? Of course, the irony is you say physics wins over advertising and every physics site I've visited says gold is attracted to a static charge. Perhaps a simple Google search before attempting to insult others would be beneficial. Otherwise, you come across as the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you always such a condescending delight? Of course, the irony is you say physics wins over advertising and every physics site I've visited says gold is attracted to a static charge. Perhaps a simple Google search before attempting to insult others would be beneficial. Otherwise, you come across as the one who doesn't know what you're talking about. You wouldn't want that now, would you?

Stop being disrespectful and argumentive. Go try your idea in the real world...or not. Then report back.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stop being disrespectful and argumentive. Go try your idea in the real world...or not. Then report back.

I think you should reread the thread, Kevin, to see who was being disrespectful and argumentative.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Take a balloon and rub it on you head to build up a good static charge then stick it in your cons and you will see it does not work --- if it did you would see guys with lots of balloons in the gulches(do they sell camo balloons).
Weight and gravity is how a drywasher works. Keene makes a nice drywasher and the hot air I can see working but I'm not sold on the static charge.
Mike

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, I just bought a gross of balloons! You hear of guys finding platinum occassionaly while dredging or MDind, but I haven't heard of anyone finding any drywashing. Could just be location.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread