best speed for a keene dry washer??

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
now that is funny 111 views,no help ,do people just drive to the desert and hope for the best??i come from offroad racing and we tested everything. thanks brad

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope nobody plans for the desert we just stop somewhere and hope for the best! :BangHead:

bbs huh? Lead is only about 60% as heavy as gold. The best test for running gold in your drywasher is to run some known gold bearing material and check your tailings. If there is gold in your tailings you are running too fast/steep or you have one of the problems below.

The biggest losses from drywashing come from:
  • Running material that isn't bone dry. If there is any moisture at all your gold recovery will go way down.
  • Running clay based soils. Any clay will hold the gold and let it flow right onto your tailings.
  • Stopping and restarting your runs between cleanouts with a blower type drywasher. Just run all your material and then cleanout.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i asked about bbs because i see them uses in alot of panning videos.i think you a right that the best way to test ,would be to check your tailings.when i said testing it was about the equipment not the ground.
thanks for the input, brad

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and all those videos with bb's aren't that helpful for panning either

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Run it fast -- the rain is coming.
I have an older keene without speed control and the motor is 24v and chugs along at a good pace
feeding it 12v. I have seen a guy run one real real slow and I asked why he said it's better.
I disagree run it fast you want a good flow with everything is suspension.
Good luck and beat the rain.
PS if you catching lead shot your catching Gold

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
every drywasher and every spot is different, as it has been said clay, dampness lead to loss of gold. a drywasher is not the most efficient way to get gold, but it is the best and fastest way for us here in the desert southwest, where creeks and rivers are dry most of the year. Best thing to do is run your material 2 or 3 times regardless. if it is full of clay break it up and use a finer screen. after all you spent the time to dig the hole.

Rick-SAR

May 26, 2011
I cut #7 or #8 Shotgun shot into 4 peaces. Paint them orange and put 3 in the material I put in the puffer. When it's time to pan I see how many of the peaces I get back (I have lost very few over the years). My theory is there are times I don't get any gold so I wonder if it's my location, material or equipment, etc. If I get all 3 orange shot pieces back I know the trommel and puffer are doing their job. I also use the "test pieces" when using my drop trap wet system.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread