Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Thompson Drywasher

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10511 times
    Prospecting
    I havenít seen the new Keene design in the field yet Reed, so hard for me to say. The 151, As you probably know, makes quite a dust cloud!
    Reed Lukens likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Look at the Historical Gold Mining photo albums on my page

Jan 2013
    Huntington, Or./ Stanton, AZ/ former Outlaw California Gold Dredger
    Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
    3740 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Wheels are great but are still limiting depending on distance and terrain especially where I dry wash. Short powerful bursts of air by puffers makes sense to me not discounting being quiet at the same time. Constant air pressure from a blower attempts to keep the feed bed in some stage of constant suspension and I guess is more aligned with commercial dry fluid bed applications but I think those applications also have more regulated feed size/density vs. placer dirt feed.

Convenience rules for me but they both obviously work so have fun making your choice.
    Honestly, if I get a new one, it will probably be the Whippet because I feel the same. The Keene looks nice... and bulky...
    arizau likes this.

us
    Oct 2015
    AZ
    155 times
    Prospecting
    For you guys that like the high production capability of the blower type drywasher, but don't like the two-stroke blower noise and stench, you can run your drywasher with an electric blower and a small, suitcase style generator.
    I run my Royal Manuf. large model drywasher with a Worx electric blower that has an adjustable airflow dial - powered by a Yamaha 2000 genny. The whole setup isn't light at all, but once set up works really well and is pretty darn quiet. You can easily talk while the setup is running.
    No more mixing two-stroke fuel.
    The adjustable airflow can be dialed up and down as needed. I dial airflow up when the riffles start loading up.
    The genny can power an extra fan if you like to cool yourself, blow dust away from you, or cool the genny. You can now also run a small demo hammer to cut through hardpack. The little Yamaha will run my Hitachi demo hammer with a wide chisel bit no problem... so much better than wielding the heavy rockbar.
    Obviously, you can't run the demo hammer and the blower at the same time with one little genny.
    Different way to skin the cat. Works for me.
    Happy digging.
    Last edited by rockbar; Feb 02, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Jan 2008
    261 times
    Rockbar, I like the idea of our yamaha 2000 portable generator. I too run my Thompson drywasher off an electric blower but since I haven't been able to afford the generator I power my electric blower with my 92 grand Cherokee with a calibrated rock on the gas pedal feeding a Harbor Freight 4000 watt converter Far as the electric Thompson I run mine off a Lithium battery that is so incredibly light I can hold it up with one finger and lasts for hours. Yes you pay more for the lithium but how much is your back worth in terms of carrying a lead acid battery which I did for years,ugh!

I love my Thompson but as soon as I can save up the cash it's going to be a Whippet for this 63 y.O. prospector!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links