Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Keene 151s Vibrostatic vs. Gold Buddy Super Stallion Drywashers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and /home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2899 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Nonsense. I can run damp stuff thru my Whippet puffer. I just rerun several times until it gets dry. Works great, catches super small gold.
    Gotta agree on this.

Here is my analysis. Wet or dry, a clod that encompasses tiny gold will usually just surf out along with stones, etc. The simple act of recycling waste increases the chance of disintegrating loosely held together masses thus freeing gold for potential capture while tight clods, even if they are more dry on the outside, will stay pretty much the same size and surf out again. IMO the main reason small gold is sometimes not captured in a dry washer (eg. found while panning tails material to determine "losses") is because it was inside a tight clod and it's weight was insignificant enough to not truly affect the overall density of the clod....wet or dry.* I think the best tip in dry washer operation is to check for black sands build up behind the the lower riffles and do a clean up before it builds up to the lip. That area is mostly dead to air agitation and usually creates a dense black sand ramp to the lip. Small gold may not be able to penetrate the black sands and just ramp over the lip of the riffle and, ultimately, make it's way out of the washer.

*Moral of the story: Dry washers are good but water operations are better since they disintegrate tight clods!

Heavy pans.
    Last edited by arizau; May 14, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    393 times
    Prospecting
    The ground you're working has a lot to do with how the drywasher will work. I use a Keene 151 and a Whippet puffer. My buddy and I easily overwhelm the 151, to the point where one of us is just busting up clods on the screen while the other shovels from stockpiled pay. We are fairly athletic, though. There are outlandish quantities of black sand in our area, which does slow things down. High concentrations of black sand will really slow down a puffer, too, especially if the ground is damp. Set up has to be on point with a puffer to be able to run somewhat damp material, and then you will either need to run it repeatedly until it's dry or come back to it in a few days. The 151 works noticeably better than the puffer on damp dirt especially with the heat induction blower. Each has it's advantages and having both is really nice.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    732 times
    Prospecting
    If you want a fun project you can make a wooden puffer however big or small you want. They can also be operated by hand if you run out of juice.
    russau and gold tramp like this.

us
    Brian

Mar 2014
    Central Oregon Coast
    Whites GMT Garret fully underwater
    2349 times
    Prospecting
    I have a Keene 151 and am debating about bringing it to Az and trading it for something smaller. Mine has the heater...Honda motor etc. A dry washing mining fool I knew had the 151 and he did not give a hoot about the material being damp. All us smaller unit guys were tarping and drying our material....but he would dig it and run it...and he got gold using the 151 with heater/blower. My days of keeping up with the 151 are long gone.....it can wear a young guy out for sure...and I am a long way from that now.

Bejay
    Last edited by Bejay; Apr 01, 2019 at 09:45 PM.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10515 times
    Prospecting
    Good call!

I used to run a 151 but itís so huge!

Now I have a Whippet. Total weight under 15 pounds including battery! Easily keeps up with me. We see a lot of damp dirt here in CO but instead of a tarp, I just run it multiple times until itís dry. Super easy to do.

Oh and boy does that precision engineering in the Whippet catch fine gold!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links