electric Blowers

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Lillooet, British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys, I have a drywasher on its way. I picked up an echo leaf blower two stroke, but didn;t realize the oil from fuel mixture could cause problems on the riffle board. I was looking at switching to an electric version such as the STIHL BGA 85. Do you guys seeing any issues with that. I am thinking my run time wouold only be 30 minutes between charge times. Thanks in advance for the responses.

WesP

Greenie
Sep 25, 2012
Mound House, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Extera 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a simpler solution would be a stright 110 volt leaf blower an extension cord and one of those $99 800 watt generators. You could place the generator up wind out of the dust and far enough to keep the noise level tolerable. A two or three gallon gas can would give you a lot of run time. I would think the total investment would be less then $200.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used my Weed Eater Featherlite leaf blower to run a drywasher
daily for about 9 days...other then me staying on the gold, I
never had problem one with it.

OP
OP
B

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there really any huge concern with using a 2 stroke and the mixed gas? Or should I really return the echo 2 stroke for a either an electric or 4 stroke engine?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would opt for longer operating time. It may be a non-issue but since you are worried about contamination, maybe you could jury rig the blower air intake or engine exhaust so that they are remote from the unit.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
BC I'd run what you have on hand until you see if there really is a problem. I hate the 2 stroke noise myself BUT I'd put up with it until you dig the $$ for a 4 stroke blower and then change out what you have now!

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An electric blower will cause the drywasher to run smoother and more consistent. I really like the idea, but would opt for a generator for the power source .You must have a variable speed blower as well..

highdesertranger

Sep 23, 2008
so kalifornia
Detector(s) used
gmt, falcon md20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't understand how 2 stroke oil will contaminate the riffle box. the air you are blowing over the riffle box has nothing to do with the oil and gas mixture. highdesertranger

OP
OP
B

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Highdesertranger it was something that I read. I am not even sure if its a real big deal. In the end, I bought the Makita 4 Cycle. No mixing of gas required and I gotta say, I love the cruise control switch. It allows you to adjust the throttle at any speed.

okbasspro

Jan 14, 2012
Chickasha,Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some 2 stroke blowers put exhaust down the air output tube. Just look for where exhaust exits if not in the tube your good to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread