Sacrificial gold vs. a dry washer

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This last weekend I decided to set my drywasher up at the house and run some of my dried out tailings from many batches of panned concentrates and samples knowing full well that there were a few stray tiny colors in them...While panning I sometimes just sacrifice a few stray tiny colors to the gold gods in hopes they will reward me with their big brothers later down the line (better said that it's just not worth the effort at the time). So far the gods have not rewarded me.8-) Anyway I ran about 10 or 15 gallons of tails and recovered 0.04 grams of mostly minus 80 mesh gold. In retrospect the take was not too much less than some of my outings and I didn't have to burn up 4 gallons of gas to get it. Gotta go....I have another 30 or 40 more gallons of tails to run.:laughing7:

PS Oh yes, the topic. Don't miss the fact that drywashers do catch flour gold even the second time around!

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have ran tailings at home through my drywasher and picked up stray fines, I rarely get to use the thing in the field I dont get out to dry places as much as I would like, the wooden puffer is a fun machine to play with.

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my mini hand puffer off Sam Raddings Plans on the South Umpqua last summer. It worked the fine gold just "FINE". I got 20 grains in 3-3gal buckets of 1/2" classified that took me 1 hr 15min to run. When I reran the tails later I recovered just 3-5 specs, so I was satisfied with the way it was working. I just need to find a richer spot!

Pictures of washer on this thread:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/d...e-riffle-dead-space-question.html#post6105865

Last edited:

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The main problem I found with the small hopper on the hand Puffer is that when I pour the classified material in it has a tendency to Slug the Riffles at first. I am experimenting with a little Yellow Flexible Spout that stops 1/2" from the bottom of the riffle tray bottom there by Automatically Stopping the flow before it has a chance to overflow onto the 2nd riffle space. This is probably only a problem on the Small Mini Hand Puffer with only 4 riffles in it. I saw this on a Dry Washer pic, but can't remember where as that was 3 yrs ago when I was researching into making mine.

I'll try to make a graphic to illustrate the concept later. Right now I'm learning A Computer Graphics Program called Poser 7 I bought years ago for my Video Production Company. I'll be trying to use it to make animated video graphic movies of Dowsing Concepts and Illustrating the different positions of ALL the Rays that the old timers used to teach Dowsing in the 60's and 70's. I'm doing this so I can Visualize the Concepts of what they are talking about.

Automatic Self feeder for Dry-washer Header Box to Riffle-tray.

Attachments

• Sluice Dry Washer Feeder.png
    Sluice Dry Washer Feeder.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost adams, here is a short video in it you can see how I control the feeder.
I Used a batten out of an old windsurfing sail. Real ease to use as it's right as waist level (no bending over).
Don't have a pic of the under side of the hopper , just attached to a 3"x8" piece of sheet metal -- but you get the idea.
Best Mike

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bodfish Mike, that's fabulous. What is the length of Dead Air Space in front of your riffles?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread