Initial Review of the Mad Mining Drywasher

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Lillooet, British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi guys and gals, I took the plunge on buying the smaller unit made by Mad Mining. Having never drywashed before, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. People up here where I live in beautiful British Columbia say it can't be done. That kind of talk only motivated me to try it. It wasn't cheap by any means. 729$ shipped to Canada is a fortune when you factor in the exchange rate! The drywasher has peaked my interest for years and so, after the good folks on this forum offered their advice and their knowledge of drywashing, I can say that I have now tried it! Nobody in this country uses one.

Out of the box, this little drywasher is well built and solid. It comes with a little vibrating motor that is attached to the bottom of tray that hold the riffle board and it attaches to any 12v battery. I use a 12v Booster pack. The hose is an Rv sewer hose that I attach to my Makita blower (see photos). My blower has cruise control so that I can set the blower speed to whatever I desire. Mad Mining recommends idle speed. I have to drive in to my claim on an ATV so space is in short supply, but being that this Drywasher is so small, it fits nicely.

I have taken it out twice. The first time I only ran 10 buckets of material classified #4. I was deeply concerned that I had made a huge error in buying the smaller unit. I gotta say, that I made the right choice. Dry material from a 3.5 gallon pale disappears in less the 20 seconds. Wetter material, I ran through twice. The vibration acts like an auto feeder. The only issues that I had was wetter material getting clogged in the hopper where the material feeds down onto the riffle tray. But once ran through, it was dry enough that on the second pass, it needed no monitoring. The second time out, it rained on me, thus I only got two pales of material through. But! It worked! This thing picks up fine gold without issues. All my concerns have been blown away! I hope that you enjoy my photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1972.JPG
    IMG_1972.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1976.JPG
    IMG_1976.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 279

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad that thing is working out for you.:thumbsup: If you are using a bucket classifier you might think of building a light weight wood frame/wire mesh one. It can be propped up with collapsible legs and shoveled onto. Major back saver. I hike into my sites and hand carry or bungee mine to my whippet backpack drywasher. It is about 2X4 feet. That size may fit on your atv too.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizau, great idea! I will see about building one. The whole bucket thing takes a lot of time and shaking, so this may mean I can put more material through.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i hate classifying.so i put two 1/2 of expedited metal on top of each other,than adjust them so it about 3/8.and classify the dirt on my keene 12 volt puffer.they do not make 3/8.and 1/4 is to small.
looks like you are doing good. brad

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great report!:occasion14:

Take two or three 12' x 12' black plastic tarps out with you, and spread your wetter material out on them to evaporate for an hour. You'll be surprised at the higher recovery rate. Break up the clods as they dry on the tarps.:skullflag:

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds just like my drywasher, you get out and try to use it and it starts to rain...

OP
OP
B

bchopeful

Jan 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yes, I have confirmed that if I take my drywasher out, it will rain. and rain. We went a month, not a drop. Nice and dry gravels, then I take this thing out and on the second day, bam, rain. third time, rain, 4th time rain.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Rain? What is that? My bugaboo is heat.:laughing7:

If you can find some feed material that is sandy and mostly just loosely stuck together the DW will still work to concentrate even when damp. Sticky stuff and I'm out of there.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions