Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put several bowls of water out from you that will attract the bees to it and not you! That's what I've heard anyway .

Yes, and a little sugar added to the water will attract them even more.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
thanks, someone said to put some apple cider vinegar in the water. thats what he does for his horses water and it good for them.
brad

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apple cider vinegar probably won't attract bees. Possibly it helped reduce the pH of the horses' urine which might slightly help them if they had crystals in their urine.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
no, they hate it so they will go away.
brad

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Never put out water!!!!!!
Night mining or buff it out durin the heat of the day when they aint out.
Assumin your in the desert.
Gt....

My little dog has flavor for bees never seems to get stung (strange habit).

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a Bug-A-Salt gun and have a ball! Use mine on yellowjackets around the apple tree, and black flies on the beach.

Lost_Adams

Apr 28, 2011
Pacific North West
Detector(s) used
Garrett 70's Ground Hog, 80's Master Hunter III, '96 Scorpion Gold Stinger. 98 Tiger Shark, 07 SD2200V2, '14 TDI SL, Discovery TF 900, 1975 Carl Anderson Dowsing, Magnetometer, Arc Geo Logger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get a 1 gal plastic jug and put a 1/4" ball of hamburger soaked in tuna fish OIL in the bottom.
drill hole in top that will just take a stiff plastic straw used in the party cups so it won't fall out. Has a little ring on it
cut the straw off at 4" long and push it in from the top till the ring hits the cap. You now have a Bee Trap that can be reused as many times as you want. The bees crawl down the straw to get to the smell and can't find their way out.
Forgot to say that the Straw should be a Big (3/8"++) one so they can get in easy.

Last edited:

BoydBros

Jul 28, 2019
Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab GoldMonster 1000
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put water out around your corner monument or away from your mining area. They'll stay over there like good neighbors.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well I'm not the guy to ask, lol! I've been stung at least 200 times since I was three, and I'm 17 now. Yellow jackets, ground bees, bald faced hornets, Japanese hornets, unidentified hornets, paper wasps, mud wasps, honey bees, and unidentified insects. Not to mention ant bites, from picnic ants, to fire ants, I've been bit by them all.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'm not the guy to ask, lol! I've been stung at least 200 times since I was three, and I'm 17 now. Yellow jackets, ground bees, bald faced hornets, Japanese hornets, unidentified hornets, paper wasps, mud wasps, honey bees, and unidentified insects. Not to mention ant bites, from picnic ants, to fire ants, I've been bit by them all.
Time to start biting back lol

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I accidentally stumbled on a way to get rid of an inground yellow jacket nest. I was cutting grass and I noticed a few yellow jackets entering a hole in the ground on a bank between our house and our neighbors. The hole was nearly the size of a quarter. I sprayed the hole well with foaming wasp spray and ran like a Democrat from a Trump rally getting stung in the process. I hate those things (yellow jackets). Home Depot sells a wasp and hornet trap made by the company Rescue. They are a long octagon shape sticky trap, green in color, and these had boys work. They are designed to be hung. I located the exit hole in the ground to the next not far from the entrance. I had an old broom handle and I carefully rammed it in the ground next to the second hole. I then slid the handle through the center of the trap to hold it upright. I then sprayed the entrance hole again and a few days later the trap was completely covered and the next was empty. These traps really work. If you have a bee or wasp problem check these out.

Last edited:

Steuss

Aug 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s possible that I’ve just been lucky, and it’s not my cocktail, but this is what I have done for a while now, and I haven’t had problems with bees since doing this.

I buy bite-fighter tiki torch fuel, and add additional cedar oil, peppermint oil (a lot of this), eucalyptus oil, and citronella oil.

I keep two table-top torches/lamps burning on either side of my panning tub.

I also keep a small spray bottle in my truck that’s a goulash of insect repelling oils. On the rare occasions I set up a recirculating system, I’ll spray a bit of it on various parts of the system. I also usually spray some of it on my hat. If nothing else, it’ll probably keep humans away.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get a Bug-A-Salt gun and have a ball! Use mine on yellowjackets around the apple tree, and black flies on the beach.

Ditto :) 003.JPG

Gold4Mike

May 10, 2017
Mount Vernon, Washington
Detector(s) used
Angus Mackirk Foreman
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer
Gold Hog Piglet highbanker
Home made slate miller table
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I accidentally stumbled on a way to get rid of an inground yellow jacket nest. I was cutting grass and I noticed a few yellow jackets entering a hole in the ground on a bank between our house and our neighbors. The hole was nearly the size of a quarter. I sprayed the hole well with foaming wasp spray and ran like a Democrat from a Trump rally getting stung in the process. I hate those things (yellow jackets). Home Depot sells a wasp and hornet trap made by the company Rescue. They are a long octagon shape sticky trap, green in color, and these had boys work. They are designed to be hung. I located the exit hole in the ground to the next not far from the entrance. I had an old broom handle and I carefully rammed it in the ground next to the second hole. I then slid the handle through the center of the trap to hold it upright. I then sprayed the entrance hole again and a few days later the trap was completely covered and the next was empty. These traps really work. If you have a bee or wasp problem check these out.

Yellowjackets are always harassing me. I use these traps in my yard and they work great! I have also found that if you put out freshly baited traps in the spring, it catches the queens as they are out looking for a nesting spot. No queens, no nests! This summer I had no yj's in my yard until just a few loners started showing up in September so I trapped them as well. Trapping the queens has made a world of difference in my yard the past couple summers, and my neighbors probably appreciate it too.

Steuss

Aug 29, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This weekend I discovered that while my little brew keeps bees away fairly well, it does absolutely nothing for tarantula hawks.

:eek:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread