Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
look for the old gravels on the hard pan layers.

Work in the areas where the tailings have gravels and gold that the other dry washers miss

The more gold in the tailings the better the source dirt

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hike or drive around til you find tramp trash (1930's era placer mining litter) rusty food & beer cans, rusty bed springs, discarded car parts, broken bottles stuff like that. These guys lived in the diggens and many came up on the weekends from LA to drywash and make an extra buck during the depression. This was back before LA became the $h*t hole it is now. There used to be drywash tailing piles everywhere but the past 30 or so years they've been flattened out by detectorists, tougher to see also because bushes now growing in much of them. Most of the area is recorded, careful not to claim jump as poaching is taken serious around here. Find the owner and ask permission, offering a 20% royalty out of the riffle tray could go a long way. There are also plenty of club claims in the area so you could look into that. Much erosion from the Rand Mtns. via gentle slope over millions of years has "pooled up" the placer in depressions on the caliche with sometimes 2+feet of overburden just to test. For the persistent, rich pockets have been rewarded.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey H P.
Let see some of that school teacher gold.
And don't say you didn't get none.
Gt.....

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
thanks,my club has 3 claims ,and iam part of a group that have some claims there,so i have alot of ground,i wonder who you would call if you did find claim jumpers?

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks,my club has 3 claims ,and iam part of a group that have some claims there,so i have alot of ground,i wonder who you would call if you did find claim jumpers?

Kern or San Bernardino County Sheriff (depending which side of a road your on around there) and they will come out......I've seen it myself

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey H P.
Let see some of that school teacher gold.
And don't say you didn't get none.
Gt.....

School teacher gold is very special stuff Herb, next time I stop by I'll show ya. Of course won't show up at your place with out the cold ones! Maybe November

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
School teacher gold is very special stuff Herb, next time I stop by I'll show ya. Of course won't show up at your place with out the cold ones! Maybe November

Yeah it's my deepest hole I dug in that mnt.
Kinda like it also.
Some call this area 51, I sunk an actuall prospect shaft at that site for the owner, so I think the school teacher should be the official name in the books, Joey had us up there after the fiasco.
We were sinking a test hole into the zone, it's where the mission vein crossed the hill.

Gt......

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah it's my deepest hole I dug in that mnt.
Kinda like it also.
Some call this area 51, I sunk an actuall prospect shaft at that site for the owner, so I think the school teacher should be the official name in the books, Joey had us up there after the fiasco.
We were sinking a test hole into the zone, it's where the mission vein crossed the hill.

Gt......

Pretty sure I've seen it, view of the Mission right? Damn if its the trench I'm thinking about very impressive indeed!

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kern or San Bernardino County Sheriff (depending which side of a road your on around there) and they will come out......I've seen it myself

Forget calling ether Sheriff's departments as sad to say they will do nothing. to them its a civil mater.

I know as i have been mining out here since 1968.

You may have better help with the BLM LEOs

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget calling ether Sheriff's departments as sad to say they will do nothing. to them its a civil mater.

I know as i have been mining out here since 1968.

You may have better help with the BLM LEOs

Citizens arrest and a camera.

If you catch someone actually digging. If not there isn't much you can do.

it is a civil matter BLM lEO doesn't have more power or jurisdiction over a S.O. deputy.

I have caught a guy..with a detector..and parked. report to sheriff. All they can do is warn him.

if you actually catch them digging you can film it. you are the witness so you can arrest.

Even if they leave the sheriff will make an attempt to find them. If they aren't local to the area don't expect much.

Even with a good case and evidence it will still be up to the DA to prosecute. Don't count on that unless it is thousands of dollars in theft that can be proven.

With all the changes in offense status misdemeanor vs. felony. The way they are "decriminalizing" so many offenses in Ca.

Don't expect anyone in law enforcement to get too involved.

There are a lot worse things in Ca. you can get caught red handed for. Yet, barely get a limp handed slap on the wrist.

dealing with highgraders is way at the bottom of the list of things the Sherriffs Office is going to spend time on.

At this point I just try to be as present as possible and hope to run into anyone in person..So, I can take care of it myself.

At the end of the day it's a lot less frustrating ( more satisfying) Than having the S.O. do nothing.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Citizens arrest and a camera.

If you catch someone actually digging. If not there isn't much you can do.

it is a civil matter BLM lEO doesn't have more power or jurisdiction over a S.O. deputy.

I have caught a guy..with a detector..and parked. report to sheriff. All they can do is warn him.

if you actually catch them digging you can film it. you are the witness so you can arrest.

Even if they leave the sheriff will make an attempt to find them. If they aren't local to the area don't expect much.

Even with a good case and evidence it will still be up to the DA to prosecute. Don't count on that unless it is thousands of dollars in theft that can be proven.

With all the changes in offense status misdemeanor vs. felony. The way they are "decriminalizing" so many offenses in Ca.

Don't expect anyone in law enforcement to get too involved.

There are a lot worse things in Ca. you can get caught red handed for. Yet, barely get a limp handed slap on the wrist.

dealing with highgraders is way at the bottom of the list of things the Sherriffs Office is going to spend time on.

At this point I just try to be as present as possible and hope to run into anyone in person..So, I can take care of it myself.

At the end of the day it's a lot less frustrating ( more satisfying) Than having the S.O. do nothing.

If a claim jumper was caught and brought before a "miners meeting" in the 1850's, what do you suppose the punishment would have been?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Good luck to all.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a claim jumper was caught and brought before a "miners meeting" in the 1850's, what do you suppose the punishment would have been?
well, it would depend.

Most likely they would just be run off. Beat up bloody and owning little to nothing.

it would depend on the offender and who they high graded.

if they succeded or just attempted.

The miners would also be interested if the locator followed district custom in regards to what made the claim valid.

My research hasn't turned up to much highgrading. claim jumping is actually a different offense.

Claims were a lot smaller. men were working close together and living close to their work.

Whats is super frustrating in modern times is that you as the miner can have every t crossed and i dotted.

Yet get little to no help from the "authorities"

And end up in trouble if you take the law into your own hands.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions