Drywasher Bellows Material

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used vinyl upholstery material for a little sampler puffer but it was some leftovers from another project. Canvas duck should work as well and is probably cheaper. All a bellows needs to do is hold pressure for a fraction of a second to create a strong puff. I used muslin for the tray.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used vinyl upholstery material for a little sampler puffer but it was some leftovers from another project. Canvas duck should work as well and is probably cheaper. All a bellows needs to do is hold pressure for a fraction of a second to create a strong puff. I used muslin for the tray.

Good luck.
Thanks, Duck cotton and muslin were where I was leaning. If anything for their low price and they look oldschool :)

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
ive used muslin and it worked ok ,it started sagging.that is the stuff that keene uses??
brad

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about Keene but I do know you need a stiff screen under the muslin. I've seen everything from punch plate to wood frame with a layer of window screen.
ive used muslin and it worked ok ,it started sagging.that is the stuff that keene uses??
brad

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Muslin won't last long, it pills a lot and it will stretch.

The traditional tray cloth is indianhead cloth. Just ask for that at a fabric store. If the counter person says something like "they don't make that anymore" just tell them you are looking for a linen type weave in sanforized cotton. If the person at the counter says "What is indian head?" move on to a fabric store that knows something about the products they sell.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you cant afford a drywasher you build one... Getting there slowly on a rough sketchup. The bottom of the hopper will be likely very thick duck cotton and the half circles will hinge in to allow the drywasher to fold up nicely. drywasher.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I used a rubber underlayment for floors for the bellows and glued it down with contact cement
and staples ---- Muslin for the wood tray with contact cement.
I'm very happy with this one it's the third one I built. No gas motor or battery -- I sling
it over my shoulder with a strap and hike in.
Best Mike
bellows.jpg

OP
OP
oidium45

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a rubber underlayment for floors for the bellows and glued it down with contact cement
and staples ---- Muslin for the wood tray with contact cement.
I'm very happy with this one it's the third one I built. No gas motor or battery -- I sling
it over my shoulder with a strap and hike in.
Best Mike
View attachment 1656144
Hahaha, great minds think alike :-D
I was considering using some canes they had at the 99 cent store for legs which adjusted like crutches.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Build the hopper and tray angle at about 28 to 30 degrees.
I used a screen from an ironing board I picked up at garage sale for the hopper screen.
Mine paid for itself the 1st day I used it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread