rlffles

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i also read that you should put some black tape under the front of the riffles to block some of the air.i think it was in a note that came with newer keene dry washers, what do you guys think?
thanks brad

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i also read that you should put some black tape under the front of the riffles to block some of the air.i think it was in a note that came with newer keene dry washers, what do you guys think?
thanks brad

There needs to be a dead air space on the uphill side of the riffles so tape is ok but will probably not last long. Just thinking out loud here, there are other, more permanent ways to create that zone such as simply sealing that same area of cloth...latex paint, wood glue if it is cloth, thin layer of silicone caulk...choose your poison. I didn't measure but the Whippet riffles are about 1/2" tall and are angled such that they are vertical when in the slanted operating position.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
thank you that helps alot.
brad

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
I use masking tape on the under side of the cloth -- about 1/2" of dead air space on up hill side of straight riffles.
Seems to work.
Cheers Mike

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
so iam building a new tray and riffle for my keene dry washer,iam changing it from 8in to 13in wide.thanks for all the help.i found a heavy duty air mattress in my shop that iam going to try to use for the borrows.and muslin for the tray.also changng borrow to 12 wide. good luck to everyone
brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread