when do you think we can go dry washing

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure how much rain Randsburg got in the last couple months, anyone have an idea?

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
i thinking not till the mid may,still working on a water machine ,testing it soon.
iam talking about the randsburg area

Last year I started in May but would have to use this method.
1st evening lay out some black plastic and dig your dirt , spread it out go home and have a beer or three.
Next day in early evening bring your drywasher run dirt and repeat.
This method worked for me but it was close to home.
Might be June this year as we have had a wet winter.
Not Randsburg but close by with same weather.
Cheers Mike

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Mike I used to do that at the end of the day and it would be just right the next morning when I was in New Mexico . OR you could use a piece of tin roofing also.

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Randsburg got a good amount of rain, but I just did a moto enduro out there last week and I could hardly see the guy in front of me at times due to his dust trail. There were also muddy puddles. Go figure.

It's just going to depend on the drainage of the exact piece of ground you want to work.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I heard a story somewhere about some folks dredging on Goller Gulch during the wet season.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is true, in the early 1980's a bucket line dredge operation was established in its own pond right off Goller Rd. Word was the pond was fed by several wells sunk for this purpose and it produced a good amount of gold. The price of gold tanked after a while and so did this dredge operation (no longer profitable to operate).

Seeing this bucket line dredge in the middle of the Mojave desert must have been a quite a sight.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i heard that they tried to move it and it fell over and they just left it,i wonder where that was??ive was detecting at that pond (with permission] and found some pieces of pipe and stuff,no gold.
brad

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
My Grandfather found that deposit in the early 30's and had a mine there. Then just after WWII they put the first dredge in on that spot and my late Uncle Charlie Behrens who had just gotten back from the European Theater signed up to be the operator. The next day when he showed up for work the pond had drained. Turns out when they dug the pit there was a thin layer of dirt where my Great Grandfathers mine shaft was that collapsed. In the 80's they had the another dredge there and Mort Richardson was the Mining Engineer. They had 4 well pumps in parallel running 24/7. I met Mort for lunch back in 2004 and then we came back to his office and he showed me the pics of the operation and of my Grandfathers mineshaft. Mort was the Publisher and Editor of World Dredging Magazine. I just looked it up and it looks like his son is now the Publisher and editor. Mort also published a really good book on Placer Mining that anyone worth their salt should get a copy of. Oh and one other piece of trivia. Uncle Charlie (who lived in Goler Gulch since 1931) told me that back then some miners had seriously considered hauling a dredge up to just above where Mormon Gulch dumps into Goler Wash but I guess common sense kicked in as there just wasn't a good enough water supply in winter to support a dredge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread