Back from the Rand

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I knew because of all the rain that drywashing would be a lost cause but wanted to get out anyways. Never seen so much green or even wild flowers around Randsburg.....pretty cool in itself.

Decided to make this a prospecting/exploring trip to some remote far away place between Trona and Death Valley. Found an old pocket mine a few years ago up a steep draw that showed possibilities. This gold mine was worked over 100 years ago and in such a steep remote location, that only the best ore was be taken out by pack string.

Discovered it few years ago and found some nice gold oar that had been pitched onto the dump. One back pack full had crushed out to 4 grams. Made my way back to this lonely place Friday and it seemed nobody had been there since my last visit. Spent the afternoon raking and sorting through the dump. As I had limited means to get it out, I had to choose carefully. Anything that gave a zip-zip and "looked like rotten teeth" went into the oar bag. Sure glad I had my "little mule" along. ]This bike will take me any where I have the balls to point it.

Got back to the truck around dark after a couple near crashes on my over loaded "mule". Made a quick supper, some beers and couple shots of whisky later I was in the sack. Fell asleep in the back of the truck to the sound of the desert wind howling.

Up the next morning, headed for Ridgecrest and pulled into Denny's...........a Grand Slam never tasted so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0768 (1).JPG
    IMG_0768 (1).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More pics, why some arn't right side up is beyond me. Always been more mechanical than "technical'

Attachments

• IMG_0772.JPG
    IMG_0772.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0773.JPG
    IMG_0773.JPG
    935.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0775.JPG
    IMG_0775.JPG
    910.6 KB · Views: 115

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
glad you are getting out there.theres alot of cool places out that way.hope to be out there soon.
brad

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
If the batteries arrive for my Proton Mag. I'll be out a Goler Gulch this Friday. It's been too long since I have been out there. Good to know about all the beauty!

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like a great trip! What a cool discovery. That's real prospecting.

I wish I had more time and less constraints to be able to get out there and explore more often. I love it out there. Even bought my own piece of land in Cal City just to be able to call that place home.

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
Made it to Goler on Monday and dug down no more than 3" in Sand Canyon and hit wet dirt! So I just drywashed what was dry and got skunked. Beautiful out there but dang, those roads in the back country are the worse I've seen in the 21 years of going out there. I hit a few too many big rocks and next stop is to get a front end alignment for my 94' Grand Cherokee. Thinking I won't go back till late summer hoping that the traffic will help smooth out the roads a little. I notice that the BLM has blocked off the lower half of Mormon Gulch (really?) and man have they put up a lot of non-motorized use signs a bit over the top me thinks. Going from Mormon Gulch taking the road that leads down to Goler Wash there is a LARGE rock smack in the middle of the road. If I lived closer I'd be out there with my portable drill,cement bit and some Dexpan!! Going around said rock I almost rolled my Jeep due to the steep side of the road. So the 2nd option would be to get out the big pick and dig into the bank then shovel the dirt around the boulder to make it pass able or at least be able to go around the boulder safely.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More pics, why some aren't right side up is beyond me.
Always been more mechanical than "technical'

When an image is too large on one side, it gets turned sideways.

I opened this one up in Paint, and reduced it's size by 60%.

IMG_0768 (1).JPG

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
I like your Mini-bike. I have a couple of them myself. Inexpensive and the engines are easy to repair. I've got a 6.5 HP on mine (197cc I believe). Tons of torque. What brand and model is that one?

OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like your Mini-bike. I have a couple of them myself. Inexpensive and the engines are easy to repair. I've got a 6.5 HP on mine (197cc I believe). Tons of torque. What brand and model is that one?

Baja Motor Sports.........$650.00 from Tractor Supply, Chinese made Honda clone motor.........no complaints

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made it to Goler on Monday and dug down no more than 3" in Sand Canyon and hit wet dirt! So I just drywashed what was dry and got skunked. Beautiful out there but dang, those roads in the back country are the worse I've seen in the 21 years of going out there. I hit a few too many big rocks and next stop is to get a front end alignment for my 94' Grand Cherokee. Thinking I won't go back till late summer hoping that the traffic will help smooth out the roads a little. I notice that the BLM has blocked off the lower half of Mormon Gulch (really?) and man have they put up a lot of non-motorized use signs a bit over the top me thinks. Going from Mormon Gulch taking the road that leads down to Goler Wash there is a LARGE rock smack in the middle of the road. If I lived closer I'd be out there with my portable drill,cement bit and some Dexpan!! Going around said rock I almost rolled my Jeep due to the steep side of the road. So the 2nd option would be to get out the big pick and dig into the bank then shovel the dirt around the boulder to make it pass able or at least be able to go around the boulder safely.

The BLM has been going CRAZY with non motorized signs ect. this winter. They actually put one right through the middle of our claim (on an existing road).......what the Hell?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread