Hardpan problems

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello everyone, im used 2 dredging and dealing with hardpan. But im in a new area with no water 2 speak of. Stuff is hard as rocks, tried soaking it the house, also tried drying it. Just wondering how others proccess this hardstuff
20191026_094538.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusher. I used burlap bags and a sledge hammer. Caliche is a pain!

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep.... Cement floor,Five pound sledge hammer,eye protection and a 10 pound quarts rock is reduced to what ever size you want in a few minutes:) 011.JPG 012.JPG

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hardpan is the bane of us who use dry washers. I usually pre-classify feed by shoveling onto a tilted screenframe/grizzly set up. That helps break the clods down a little but not much.

Good luck

OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Arizau, this last time out i build a slant screen like u described. Works well in the upper layers but the hardpan is no joke. The old timers spent enough time here so got 2 be something worth wild. Im thinking with what i have avaible a small rodmill might work, only 1 way 2 find out. But here is the teaser thats been keeping me interested

20191025_084749.jpg

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you Arizau, this last time out i build a slant screen like u described. Works well in the upper layers but the hardpan is no joke. The old timers spent enough time here so got 2 be something worth wild. Im thinking with what i have avaible a small rodmill might work, only 1 way 2 find out. But here is the teaser thats been keeping me interested

View attachment 1766232

I like the rod mill idea and here are a couple of threads pretty much along the same line. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/559604-cement-mixer-recovery.html.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/drywashing/429187-gold-drum.html.

Are you planning on taking to dig site or bringing dirt home to process?

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Strebs

May 16, 2014
New Mexico
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have seen the gold drums, it does seem like an effective alternative to a crusher. Thank you for the information. I am lucky enough to have mining be my main focus and would like to develop this site further. I would like to crush and process onsite since we have the time to do so.

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I tend to try mechanizing things, not to the extreme, but reasonably. Get a small, but light weight rototiller. Just be sure to sharpen the tiller blades real good. Hammering, crushing and whatnot... too much work! If it bounces around on the hardpack, weight it down with a cement block or a rock.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread