A question or 2 before I start trying to build a puffer....

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to build a puffer to use when I retire to some place dry and warm in 3 years for when conditions are right because there's a lot less restrictions, but I have questions.

Why are dry washer sluices so short? Wet sluices catch more the longer they are, does this not also apply by having more dead spots?

Is there such a thing as too much puff? Obviously if the rocks come flying off the deck like a pitching machine, it's too much.

Is adding a vibrating or shaking device a good or bad idea?

Would fake leather material like some used for car seats or furniture work for the bellows?

Like I said, I have questions ??? and only some I'll ask here.
Some I won't ask here is, why do hotdogs come in 10 packs and buns are in 8 packs :laughing7: Or why can a person be nonchalant, but there's no such thing as being chalant :icon_scratch:

So many unanswered questions so little time :occasion14:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to build a puffer to use when I retire to some place dry and warm in 3 years for when conditions are right because there's a lot less restrictions, but I have questions.

Why are dry washer sluices so short? Wet sluices catch more the longer they are, does this not also apply by having more dead spots?

Is there such a thing as too much puff? Obviously if the rocks come flying off the deck like a pitching machine, it's too much.

Is adding a vibrating or shaking device a good or bad idea?

Would fake leather material like some used for car seats or furniture work for the bellows?

Like I said, I have questions ??? and only some I'll ask here.
Some I won't ask here is, why do hotdogs come in 10 packs and buns are in 8 packs :laughing7: Or why can a person be nonchalant, but there's no such thing as being chalant :icon_scratch:

So many unanswered questions so little time :occasion14:

I'm in between projects at the moment so I'll try to give your questions some answers.

#1 Why are drywashers so short? Short answer is: For the ease of portability.
Long answer is: Since the riffles are ran the opposite direction from that of a wet sluice and that there is no water pressure pushing against the paydirt, only gravity, and that the gold is not being held in suspension by a liquid slurry and because there is no buoyancy factor, gold will settle out of dry dirt in a much shorter distance, and be trapped under the front of the riffle not in a low pressure area after the riffle, there is no need for the sluice to be as long as a wet sluice.

#2 Is there such a thing as too much puff? Short answer: Yes!
Long answer: Too much puff and the smaller specks of gold become airborne and blow away. Too little puff and the material does not become aerated enough for the heavies to settle down through the material to become trapped on the bottom.

#3 Is adding a vibrating or shaking device a good or bad idea? Short answer: Good and Bad.
Long answer: A vibrator on the sluice can work against you if it causes the gold to bounce back up into the airflow caused by the Puff. A vibrator on the hopper however will aid in breaking up and moving material down toward the sluice.

Would fake leather material like some used for car seats or furniture work for the bellows? Short answer: Yes.
Long answer: Making a decent bellows with folds is not easy and a little time consuming, like anything else, some materials work better than others. Replacing a bellows because your old one wore out prematurely is not something you will be happy about.

Good luck on your Build, I'm here if you need me.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks GG, I'll be saving this thread....and hope for help when I start the build.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't want to try to re-invent the wheel, and really don't want to make something and then go "Oh crap" only to start again.
I trust GG and every ones else's ideas and opinions.
This site has helped me to make some great, but now unusable machines. Thank you Washington state!
Hopefully I'll start the build soon or at least before I'm too old to use it :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread