Thompson DW 12V motor and controller...?

Vorra65

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2020
Rancho Murieta CA
Detector(s) used
A/T Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoping someone can help identify the 12V motor and controller for my recently acquired DW.
The controller is the off/variable type, and is completely inop.
I’d have no issue with replacing with the low/off/high box if that’s all I can get. The 12V motor has a spiral splined shaft, that utilizes an 2 eared aluminum bracket for mounting.
Where to get these parts, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A good closeup pic would help.
Jim

OP
OP
Vorra65

Vorra65

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2020
Rancho Murieta CA
Detector(s) used
A/T Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Jim,
The motor has some #s on it but a few are rubbed and no help- E9A308FC-C98E-45EC-B921-AFCAF2C7FED0.jpeg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you can't ind the exact setup, you can probably rig something up. First off, you need the RPM output of the motor, at top speed. Just count the pulses in 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Having that info will allow you to research worm-drive gearmotors. You might be able to find that exact motor, or one that is close enough to work. But, the problem may be with the speed controller. Only way to determine that is to supply the motor with 12v direct, bypassing the speed controller. if it runs, the problem is the controller. if it doesn't the problem is the motor. PWM speed controllers are dirt cheap on EBay. Since yours isn't working, you may need to find someone with a working unit, to tell you the pulses/minute.
Jim

OP
OP
Vorra65

Vorra65

Tenderfoot
Jul 20, 2020
Rancho Murieta CA
Detector(s) used
A/T Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Reed, the motor works.....just one speed. Was just lookin to get a backup, just in case this one goes south. If I can't find one just like it, if and when it fails I'll just start from scratch and fabricate up an easily accesible popular motor. At that time I'd rework the link to small heim joints on the ends just to get the full throw on the bellows. The 1/4 grizzly is something that will be added as well.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a pretty nice unit, Reed, but I'd want one with at least 10 amp capacity. At 12v 5amps is only 60 watts.
Jim

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is overkill for the bucket sluice that I'm building Jim. Its for a 600gph pump being ran by a small 3ah LiPo4 battery that runs on 3 amps max.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Form that purpose, it's fine, but probably wouldn't handle the current draw for the drywasher. I just didn't want the OP to buy it thinking it would do the job. The gearmotor I use on the Sweep Jig draws about 5 amps, or a little more under some conditions. I think one reason the motor on the drywasher is getting hot is it's trying to draw more current than the battery can supply, thus lowering the voltage. Low RPM's on motors causes more current through the windings, and a lot of extra heat.
Also, from what I've experienced, most of these Chinese PWM controllers have way overstated current capabilities. Better to go big than go home...LOL
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions