May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
This is true on dredge's and anything that use's a foot valve for water. I once knew a man that had his high banker & pump in a creek and could NOT get the pump to pick up water. He was to the point (if nobody would be looking) of giving the pump the ole heave ho or take a hammer to it !!! I went over and asked if I could have a look at it.................He was still fuming and asked if I wanted to buy it all ??? I said let's take a look at it. Some people just NEVERE learned how to store equipment. The first thing I did after seeing that the engine would start up and run was to look at the foot valve...........sure enough , the check valve or flapper was warped the wrong way keeping the foot valve open even when plunging the valve in up - n - down to prime it. I took the foot valve apart and flipped the rubber flapper over and put it back together for him and I tried it and it primed up just fine! He had a ..... look on his face and said thanks !

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Make sure you store the puffer in the up-right position so as the flap remains closed and flush to the opening. If it was up side down or even on its side to where it hangs open for any length of time, the (flap) material could develope memory and not properly seal the port opening of the box.

Still, eventually the flap material can become less supple and need to be replaced any way. I always check before heading out.

OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
thanks for the storage tip,i never would have thought of that;i went from 5x6 to 6 x9 with more holes.i really like it now. brad Resized_20201026_125741.jpeg Resized_20201027_160326.jpeg
Make sure you store the puffer in the up-right position so as the flap remains closed and flush to the opening. If it was up side down or even on its side to where it hangs open for any length of time, the (flap) material could develope memory and not properly seal the port opening of the box.

Still, eventually the flap material can become less supple and need to be replaced any way. I always check before heading out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread