Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE PICK CURBSIDE FOR TREASURES Need more

nhbenz said:
I agree! Its great seeing the finds from what others decide to trash. Until yard sales (or tag sales, depending where you live) get going the "swap shop" and metal pile at the dump is all I have... If anyone has trouble with small engine stuff -- drop me a line, I'll walk you through how to fix your equipment. Happy Hunting. -Ben
Hey Ben Like you I fix small engines myself, been doing it as a small business now for almost 20 years

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 4/27

Picked all this stuff up from the curb on Wed. 4/25/07 I also have about 60 jersey's . Already sold 3 helmets, a pair of shin guards and 2 vest. Hopefully they will sell on ebay..

Attachments

• BASEBALL EQUIP lot 002.jpg
    BASEBALL EQUIP lot 002.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2,927
  • BASEBALL EQUIP lot 003.jpg
    BASEBALL EQUIP lot 003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2,504
  • BASEBALL EQUIP lot 004.jpg
    BASEBALL EQUIP lot 004.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 2,614

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES ??

xto said:
Howdy,

Here is my garbage story. Earlier this week, I was downtown at a clients building and I saw a Herman Miller Aeron chair next to a dumpster.... Later, it was still there so desided to take it home and save the Trash guys some work. The seat pan was broken and a replacement part is $260.... hmmm... I called Herman Miller and 10 minutes of smooshin gets me a new seat pan for free. Now I can code my websites in style and if the rain would ever stop MD at a new spot in the woods that had a 1910 trading post on it. I found it by talking to some older guys about the area.

xto
someone paid a pretty penny for that chair when it was new !! great find.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 4/27/07

years ago while throwing away my own trash, I found a Red Rider BB Gun probably 50's era, and an old hand made pie safe > painted black. I refinished it and sold it for $300.00.

T

TreasureTales

Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 4/27/07

CarolinaDigs, great going with the BB gun and the pie safe. You sold the safe, but what about the BB gun? Did you keep it? I would have!!

Don't you think we all have a little bit of scrounger in us, that's why we're treasure hunters? Found a screwdriver in the street a couple of days ago, it's got a nice long shaft with a small standard blade - popping tool!!

More stories, please, I'm one who will never tire of reading about scavanging.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 4/27

TreasureTales said:
More stories, please, I'm one who will never tire of reading about scavenging.

DITTO

Thank You ALL for your contributions to this Thread........DPSB

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina

TreasureTales said:
CarolinaDigs, great going with the BB gun and the pie safe. You sold the safe, but what about the BB gun? Did you keep it? I would have!!

Don't you think we all have a little bit of scrounger in us, that's why we're treasure hunters? Found a screwdriver in the street a couple of days ago, it's got a nice long shaft with a small standard blade - popping tool!!

More stories, please, I'm one who will never tire of reading about scavanging.

Yes I did keep the Red Rider , ;D

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river

its spring clean-up in the old part of town next week....ill be doin some curb drawlin.....

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

duffytrash said:
its spring clean-up in the old part of town next week....ill be doin some curb drawlin.....
Please do keep us posted on this thread.

steve in so az

May 11, 2006

When I used to teach HS a student brought in an old tackle box with a few things in it. She knew I was a fisherman and gave it to me as it was going out with all the "junk" to the dumpster. Inside was some worthless lures - I checked them all out - but there also was a small bottle of Meeks Reel Oil, with most of the oil and the original cork. Later I was readintg a Sports Afield and saw this same bottle that had sold at auction for 500 bux !

Long story short - I contacted the auction house that sold it, sent the bottle and ended up with 450 bux !Steve in so az

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
Picked all this stuff up from the curb on Wed. 4/25/07 I also have about 60 jersey's . Already sold 3 helmets, a pair of shin guards and 2 vest. Hopefully they will sell on ebay..

Bob,
That is almost unbelievable. I can hardly believe someone actually threw hundreds of dollars worth of equipment away. They could have at least donated it.
I would think that you could sell the whole lot of em on Ebay.
Nice score, you can really bat a home run with that equipment.
I do believe your story though for the record.

Way to be at the right place at the right time!!!

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES cool stu

kevino1960 said:
The absolute strangest thing I found was a live raccoon in a Have-A-Heart trap in Winettka, IL. Found a lot of stuff but that was the oddest.

Live near Winnetka myself. That is odd. I thought Racoons had the secret to getting out of Havaheart traps. At least we were never able to catch them. We tried staking them down. putting rocks on top, just about everything we could think of. They would always seem to be able to open the doors or flip it over...

We used to catch a lot of squirrels though. My brother used to spraypaint their tails to see if they would come back.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

steve in so az said:
When I used to teach HS a student brought in an old tackle box with a few things in it. She knew I was a fisherman and gave it to me as it was going out with all the "junk" to the dumpster. Inside was some worthless lures - I checked them all out - but there also was a small bottle of Meeks Reel Oil, with most of the oil and the original cork. Later I was readintg a Sports Afield and saw this same bottle that had sold at auction for 500 bux !

Long story short - I contacted the auction house that sold it, sent the bottle and ended up with 450 bux !Steve in so az

Did she get an "A?"

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

Do you know the only difference between a garage sale and trash?

The distance from the curb!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil in West Jersey said:
Do you know the only difference between a garage sale and trash?

The distance from the curb!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
;D ;D ;D
I do know that some garage sales stink and that some garbages stink and that you can make $$$$$ from both

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

Just recently me & Harry saw a huge garbage pile in front of a old building and low and behold i pulled out a FULL VICTORIAN photo album ! a Sterling silver letter opener and other hometown goods ! The guy cleaning out the place was of middle eastern decent and didn't care about the oldies ! Luck for us !! There was other people (garbage hunters) starting to circle like vultures but we did a good lookin' through before we hit the road !

T

TreasureTales

WTG Spitfire Reddie. Just proves that some people don't appreciate American history!

go4gold

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2007
Northern-Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX-M6

I have been a garbage man for 17 years with Waste Management. I have a 6 car barn/garage with a walk in attic packed with stuff I have found over the years. I figure when I retire I will be busy with Ebay. I have already sold over 5000 items. My best find was a old wood trunk that contained 109-1948 Bowman football cards in near perfect condition, a 1924 womans class ring,many pieces of great costume jewelery, a big box of unused vintage stamps 1928-1954, unused post cards & other goodies. A lot of the time when some older people pass someone comes & just throw absolutly everything away. Keep on picking! Dale

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

here is a little item i got curb shopping a few weeks ago.....have it in my dining room now

Attachments

• buffet.jpg
    buffet.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,946
  • buffet.jpg
    buffet.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,939

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Man, lots of great stories!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread