• Gold Ring in garbage.jpg
    Gold Ring in garbage.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,499
  • Gold Ring in garbage.jpg
    Gold Ring in garbage.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,484
T

TreasureTales

Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

Bob, you are one junk digging, dumpster diving, trash tackling, curb combing lucky son of a gun. And I say that with all due respect and affection. NICE GOING! :)

BeerBottleTom

Greenie
Oct 17, 2006
IL
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/

Wow
Now that is a nice trash find.
Hey Bob we have to go out metal detecting sometime soon again.
I agree with TreasureTales on this one too.
Talk with you later.
Happy Garbage Picking

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

OK here are my curbside grabs
All still new in box
1-19'' HD LCD TV
1-Wii game system
1-9''Mini DVD player with head phones
1-Kitchen aid BBQ set
2-Wii system games
1-Free 12 pack of coke
1-20oz coke
1-$100 Block Buster gift card
How you ask
I pull all the coke points of 12 packs of coke
All this stuff cost 25,000 points
but best of all the points where free

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

I have a similar tale. When I was a kid city dumps out in the boonies were the norm. One day we drove out there with a neighbor and discovered thousands of old comic books. We took what we could but were rushed (for some darn reason) by our adult neighbor who wanted to get back to town quickly so he could get another load. "Oh, they'll be here when we get back," he said. Of course, when we returned the comic books were all gone -- either plucked up by someone else or buried under new debris. These books were real gems, dating from the 1940s, '50s and '60s. From then on I learned an important lesson in treasure hunting: retrieve that treasure NOW -- don't wait for another day or for some other person to come along and cash in on your (formerly) good fortune!

Today's dumpsters are full of treasures. Absolutely. I'm not a bit surprised as to the great finds people have made and continue to make.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

You guys are incredible. I keep waiting for someone to clear out an old farmhouse and pile some antiques at the side of the road, but it hasn't happened yet!

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/

Thanks all
More great stories.... I love It........

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Found this in dumpster at work.

Attachments

• gun cab 005.jpg
    gun cab 005.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,323
  • gun cab 004.jpg
    gun cab 004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 2,317
  • gun cab 003.jpg
    gun cab 003.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2,351
  • gun cab 002.jpg
    gun cab 002.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,352
  • gun cab 001.jpg
    gun cab 001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2,353
T

TreasureTales

Willie d, you're gonna have to get yourself some pistols and a flask, etc. to put in those drawers. That's a very nice cabinet, but what happened to the guns? Get back out there and see if the guns were thrown in the trash, too. You just never know!! ;) That's a very nice little cabinet, nice grab.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:
Willie d, you're gonna have to get yourself some pistols and a flask, etc. to put in those drawers. That's a very nice cabinet, but what happened to the guns? Get back out there and see if the guns were thrown in the trash, too. You just never know!! ;) That's a very nice little cabinet, nice grab.
Thanks TreasureTales. At work, we share the building with a pawn shop that is going through a change of ownership. The cabinet was the only thing I found. The dumpster was empty except for several very large plastic bags. The bags softened the landing into the dumpster. The guns are long gone I would imagine. He doesn't like dealing with guns and usually unloads the guns to another pawn shop owner buddy of his.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here are some of my dumpster finds at work, I also dive at the local flea.
to Awnser many Questios No there Not Stolen Family moved out of state Guy use to work for the company so I claimed them.
there is 14 K I think one marked 4k some other Gold Marked 10K and some Silver Marked .925 I like these finds most of all. But haveing a heck of time determing the larger stons as being Diamonds or nowt can anyone help> ??? Please :)

Attachments

• topaz.jpg
    topaz.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,670
  • dfinds.jpg
    dfinds.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,684
  • dears.jpg
    dears.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,688
  • dears.jpg
    dears.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 2,666
  • dfinds.jpg
    dfinds.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 2,657
  • topaz.jpg
    topaz.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,688
T

TreasureTales

Garrettman64, sometimes the easiest, fastest and most accurate way to determine if a stone is diamond or not is to take it to a jeweler and ask for assistance. They usually do it for free, if you don't bring in more than a couple at a time. Other than that, there are various home tests that can be done, but they are less than satisfactory most of the time. You can try scratching a piece of glass with the stone - if it scratches the glass all that proves is that it is harder than glass. You can try scratching the stone with a stainless steel knife blade (or vice versa) - again only proving it's harder than stainless steel. You could buy a Mohs Hardness Scale test kit which is a set of harder and harder pick type tools that ultimately top out with a small diamond chip - if your stones are unharmed by all but the diamond, you can bet you've got the real deal. But the kits are not easy to find unless there is a lapidary shop nearby. http://www.galleries.com/minerals/hardness.htm Or you could assume that 14k gold settings would warrant real diamonds whereas less than 10k would not. Sterling silver settings could use either diamonds or cubic zirconia. Seriously, ask a jeweler for assistance!!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maybe we should ask Marc if he can make a new forum on this topic. it seems pretty popular, what do you guys think?

T

TreasureTales

Whitesid, do you mean something like this:

Bottles
Coins
Relics
Indian Artifacts
Junque

LOL - I like the idea. It would be great to get the whole story for each hunk o' junque and what the finder did with it after finding it.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TreasureTales said:

Bottles
Coins
Relics
Indian Artifacts
Junque

LOL - I like the idea. It would be great to get the whole story for each hunk o' junque and what the finder did with it after finding it.
yeah, i mean that is a form of treasure hunting, right.

T

TreasureTales

whitesid said:
TreasureTales said:

Bottles
Coins
Relics
Indian Artifacts
Junque

yeah, i mean that is a form of treasure hunting, right.

Oh absolutely - I totally agree that dump/dumpster diving, sidewalk scavanging, road reaping, curb capturing, and trashcan trolling are all viable forms of procuring treasure. Bring on the Junque category!!!

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i asked pbk about making a new forum. does anyone else have and input on this??

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like my thread the way it is . Growing and growing... Don't need a separate category.. just keep this 1 going. I have a lot more to add if needed and so do a lot more people. Instead of talking about it Post something you found in the trash.

Thanks ALL for your input..... Bob

whitesid said:
i asked pbk about making a new forum. does anyone else have and input on this??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread