DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2012

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

i just picked about 50 golf clubs out of the dumpster ;D

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/07

Well it wasn't exactly a dumpster but I'll relay the finds anyway. A few years back a cousin of mine past away and his nephews and niece came to clean out his huge house. He had a rocking chair that my mother really wanted so I agreed to take her to see if she could get it, reluctantly I must admit but she was 83 years old at the time. When we arrived we entered through the kitchen entrance and almost fell over a pile of stuff that they had stacked up. After a little conversation, catching up on old times, etc. I had seen an old deed box on the floor and so I asked what that pile of stuff was. They replied that they were going to haul it to the "green box" (what we call dumpsters here in SW Virginia) and if I saw anything in there that I wanted to help myself.

I headed for the trash pile while my mother bargained for the rocking chair in the living room. Of course I checked out the deed box first thing and my breath was taken away when I opened it and the first thing I saw was an envelope with a Confederate stamp on it. I quicky closed the box and bagged it. The next thing I found was a pint jar full of old fountain pens, Parkers mostly. They were bagged also. Although I sifted through the rest of the stuff nothing else of interest came to sight so I quickly took my finds to the car then went back in and visited for a while. When we left I drove as fast as I could back home to inspect what was in the deed box.

There was a total of 18 Confederate letters! All but two had original envelopes with them and I was estatic. A quick check of Ebay said that the Parker pens were well worth hauling home also. Anyway I Ebayed the letters as a lot and got right at $2,000 for them and the pens brought in a cool $450. To think, I didn't want to go down there.

T

TreasureTales

Didn't you keep even one of those Confederate letters? I would have, and I'm a Westerner. I must admit, though, that I'm a very sentimental person and find more value in things, often, than in cash. See, taking your elderly mother to get a rocking chair paid off bigtime for you - let that be your real lesson!!! ;) BTW, did your mother get the chair - I hope?

Toadiesop

Tenderfoot
Aug 15, 2006
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 5/6/

I'll tell some of my stories al ittle later today but I'm going diving right now!

I'll tell you one thing though, the thing my girlfriend dreads the most is hearing me yell.......

"BABY!!! STOP THE CAR!!!"

she knows..... ;D

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

I found an old light-up globe while dumpster diving today. Great condition. I'm not sure when it was made. It does have Israel and the Soviet Union. Germany and Vietnam are unified. No U.A.E. I don't see Eritrea. China is China. Hawaii is explicitly labeled the 50th state. Anyone here a globe expert?

T

TreasureTales

fiatboy said:
I found an old light-up globe while dumpster diving today. Great condition. I'm not sure when it was made. It does have Israel and the Soviet Union. Germany and Vietnam are unified. No U.A.E. I don't see Eritrea. China is China. Hawaii is explicitly labeled the 50th state. Anyone here a globe expert?

Sounds to me like a globe of planet Earth. Hope that helps. :D

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007

:D

that's so lame it's hilarious. lol!

T

TreasureTales

fiatboy said:
:D

that's so lame it's hilarious. lol!

Sorry.

Is there no copyright date on the paper covering the ball part of the globe? Look for small print along the seam line or around where the bottom meets the stand. Hope that really is useful info for you. And congrats on a good snag.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 6/29/

Here is my latest dumpster find(s)

2100 cordlocs

If interested in purchasing some PM me...

SOLD 1800 FOR $75.00 AND 300 FOR $25.00

Attachments

• cordlocs1.jpg
    cordlocs1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • cordlocs1 001.jpg
    cordlocs1 001.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,810

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 6/29/

DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:

2100 cordlocs

defective no cords.........

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jorge del norte said:
DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:

2100 cordlocs

defective no cords.........
;D ;D ;D ;D I can't complain I sold some already so I'm money a head....

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 6/29/07

I hauled some stuff to the dump and as I was unloading I looked over in the dumpster an saw an oak gun cabinet. I asked the guy that ran the dump if I could have it and he said yea. I sold it for $150.00.
Dman

goodhubby

Greenie
Mar 18, 2006
Bay St. Louis MS
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Re: BESIDES MD DOES ANYONE DUMPSTER DIVE/GARBAGE PICK FOR TREASURES UPDATE 6/29/07

Just picked up a lawn bench from the trash next door to my mom and dad's - I had been wanting one, and this one's a beauty - fairly older model with heavy cast iron ends - just one broken board that can be fixed - the bench I almost bought in the store a couple of months ago was about $100 and not the same good quality - I love recycling, esp. when it keeps $100 in my checking account

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

I live in a new house--we built it less than a year ago. The 8 x 10 foot shed in the back yard is 80% complete, and is made almost entirely from wood salvaged from dumpsters. I spent the first 6 months of my living here watching the dumpsters. I've had to spend about $100 on siding for it, and about another $80 for some extra 2x4's and metal hardware. I've got a bit more scrounging to do to get a little more plywood, and about $30 for shingles.

Even the window came from my sister's house, as she recently put new ones in.

My dad used to do maintenance for an apartment complex. He made a habit of checking the dumpsters daily. Especially the end of the month during move-outs. A dresser in my daughter's room is an old antique that a woman threw out. It belonged to her grandmother...but she didn't have the means to refinish it. My dad surprised us by calling my wife's father, who is good at refinishing projects. He fixed it up as good as new.

Best find he ever found was about $200 worth of tools in a toolbox. A girl's boyfriend moved out and she decided to just dump the tools.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Very impressive, the things just thrown away!!

re-tek

Jul 15, 2007
miami fl
Detector(s) used
coinstrike, tigershark, ace250, OLD radioshack

i dive and curbside on a regular basis!

off the top of my head....
wood cabinet for one of my mcintosh stereos (i'm into classic american stereo gear)
complete set of dynaco tube tuner, preamp, and stereo 70 amp (working wth minor repair)
set of ramps for working on car
sansui receiver (working)
(2) working jvc receivers
many, many computers. one i currently use at work
antique handmade wood carving about 2 feet tall
1920's windup victrola
working sanyo boombox
industrial floor jack
lots of electronic junk i've parted out for ham radio projects

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes on all the above...Have found things that range from Telescopes to Computers, and everything in between....I ride around the rich neighbor hoods on junk day also..Got a 6 man raft lastweek, just could'nt pass it up.......Anything that is free is great..Kinda why I like MD'ing so much, where else can you just pull money out of the ground??

Talos

Dec 10, 2004

My latest finds came from my favorite school dumpster. There were hundreds of Harmony Kingdom figurines tossed out. The vast majority were still mint in their original boxes. Some were still packed twenty to a case in their shipping containers. One can take a look at ebay or elsewhere and see what these items go for. They're really quite beautiful and expertly sculptured.

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One word..WOW.....Keep on digging...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread