Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATE 8-17-09

Our local dump got smart. If a pickup load comes in they will scavange whatever they want out of the back at the gate. Then anything good they will set out by the road and put a for sale sign on it. You are not allowed to dig around in the dump because of the heavy equipment. Big trucks bring in most of the refuse and it is immediately buried by a couple of bull dozers. Monty

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATE 8-17-09

Monty said:
Our local dump got smart. If a pickup load comes in they will scavange whatever they want out of the back at the gate. Then anything good they will set out by the road and put a for sale sign on it. You are not allowed to dig around in the dump because of the heavy equipment. Big trucks bring in most of the refuse and it is immediately buried by a couple of bull dozers. Monty

Monty, back in the day when I was a kid..(60's, and 70's) I loved going to our local dump...I brought out as much as we brought in..My Mom hated it tho...LOL.........Tom

BGB

Jun 17, 2008
Los Angeles CA, Prescott AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6

My brother in law is addicted to dumpster diving. I go with him sometimes and last year we were in a alley and found 4 tv's beside a dumpster and loaded them in the truck then a old man walked out and asked if we wanted the other tv's that he was throwing away . We said yes and a week later we had over 50 tv's most were big screens. The old man owned a tv repair shop and he was going out of business so he was throwing the tv's away and we got them and the funny thing was most of them worked . We sold the ones that worked. Last week we were driving down a alley and noticed that there was a huge pile of stuff beside a dumpster and we stopped and found Dvds cds video games jewelry pottery and all sorts of stuff that the people had thrown away because they were moving. My friend found a old dirt bike that his neighbor tossed out after failing to get it running and he took it home fixed it and took it back to the guy who tossed it and sold it back to him for $500.

travel

Dec 27, 2007
summertown georgia

good posts guys my husband and i went one night several years ago (about 20) to throw out our garbage. of course we always looked to see if there was anything interresting, and my husband saw a small plastic bottle sitting on the ground reached over picked it up and guess what about two and ahalf ounces of pure gold. nuggets too. still have it plus all the other we have prospected over the years. still like to look.

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

i rescued a nice vintage ken and barbie dolls in an early case.

i always feel especially good . not only am i getting a valuable item

free. im saving it from limbo.

always meant to write a seperate post about it.

good intentions .ha!

dr.design

Greenie
Jul 2, 2007
Northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lonestar

I pass a u-lock, which has their dumpster close to the road, on my way home from work.
The other night I saw that someone had emptied their unit & filled the dumpster. Naturally I couldn't pass by
without taking a look.

I found a large cardboard box filled with Legos still in their original boxes, a bunch of cool Mego Blocks, a box
filled with electrical cords, cables, & electrical transformers ( I'll sell for scrap). There was also a box of miscellaneous
kids stuff (books, crayons, pencils, etc.). I found a bank in that box which had $12.50 in cash/coins. I saved that from the
landfill! Best finds ever from a dumpster!! I'll keep myt eye on that dumpster!

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009

I saw a chest of drawers sitting along the sidewalk waiting for trash pickup. I was able to remove the brass drawer pulls (14 in all) in about 5 minutes. They are all solid brass and will sell very well on Ebay.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife just doesn't understand

When I got home from work yesterday my wife said she saw someone looking at the dumpster in our apt complex. When he saw her he moved away but later she saw him leave through the security gate with a black plastic bag. (he was either diving for treasure or personal info so he could steal an ID)

I then asked her if she remembered the two big sterling bracelets I found a year ago. I told her I found them in the same dumpster. I don't normally dive in my own dumpster but someone had thrown away a big sewing box with lots of drawers. I looked in all the drawers. Just sewing junk but one drawer was full on pins and safety pins and buried in there were two Italian bracelets. Very nice ones.

She didn't say anything else about it. So I either convinced her that it was OK or she was so embarrassed that I told her I did it. ???

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: My wife just doesn't understand

cyberdan said:
When I got home from work yesterday my wife said she saw someone looking at the dumpster in our apt complex. When he saw her he moved away but later she saw him leave through the security gate with a black plastic bag. (he was either diving for treasure or personal info so he could steal an ID)

I then asked her if she remembered the two big sterling bracelets I found a year ago. I told her I found them in the same dumpster. I don't normally dive in my own dumpster but someone had thrown away a big sewing box with lots of drawers. I looked in all the drawers. Just sewing junk but one drawer was full on pins and safety pins and buried in there were two Italian bracelets. Very nice ones.

She didn't say anything else about it. So I either convinced her that it was OK or she was so embarrassed that I told her I did it. ???
Nothing to embarrassed about....
Look at You Tube...Dumpster Diving....Look what a lot of college students do....

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2010

Ive found some great stuff dumpster diving, and just riding around the rich areas on trash day...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Being in construction I am alway making hauls to the dump from my clients.They weigh me going in and coming out and then I pay. Couple of yours ago I was unloading a trailor and the guy beside me was too. He had many pairs of snow skis. haha I live in the south and we do not snow ski a lot here but asked the guy for them as I thought they were neat looking.
Long story short we decided to have a yard sell a year or so later and the skis had to go. A large group of Russian exchange students stopped by and snapped them all up and all the old Marine issue clothes. I gave them a good deal and made around $2400 cleaning out some of my basement that day. I also sold a few antuques I was out of room for.
I also found a beautiful inlaid chester drawers and greal looking cedar chest painted green. I restored both and gave them away as gifts. Very fine heirloom pieces.
Treasure is where you find it I guess : )
Happy hunting

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,

The local K mart use to throw returns (all kinds of stuff tents, cloths, coolers, etc) that they could or was not economical to send back out in the big dumpster behind the store, That is until the local kids got wise to this practice then they just crushed the stuff first.....

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

why would you dumpster dive and get all that rotten Garbage Juice all over you??? instead you should advertise that you Pay Cash for Gold.. lets say you pay $20 a gram for 14k like me.. seeing how 1 gram is worth $24 .. and make about $1000 a week... rather make $2000 a year dumpster diving/.

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector

My wife and I have found a couple nicer office chairs and a couple bookshelves from diving corporate dumpsters, but my biggest haul was in Phoenix.

In the 19th and Northern area of Phoenix, there is a Blue Cross/Blue Shield corporate office. My old roommate and I used to dive and get old computers and network stuff that they'd upgrade out of. Pretty nice stuff, and we used most of it to build our own little servers in our apartment. One night, I boosted him into the dumpster and after a while he threw out two black plastic bags. Now, normally, BC/BS would shred their paperwork. These two bags held unshredded insurance applications with SSN's, maiden names, addresses, family names, health history, etc.

We ended up ditching the bags in the Boston Market dumpster on the corner of 19th and Northern cause we got pretty spooked when the subject of FBI investigation came up (we were already doing illegal computer stuff, light hacking, DOS, ya know...).

Other than that, the finds have been really tame. :dontknow:

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How to get a fee pizza in northern michigan.
There is a pizza place called BC pizza in northern michigan. They are every were here.
They have a program were if you save up 10 used pizza boxes you bing them in and they give you a free nice hot 12" pizza for free with the old boxes. what we would do is drive around back of the pizza place flip open the dumpster grab 10 boxes drive around front and get a free 12'' pizza every time. my and a few freinds have been doing it for a few years now and they never catch on. Thanks for the free pizza BC pizza of northern michigan!

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida

I do foreclosure home inspections for a bunch of banks and lenders. You would not believe the stuff that people leave behind when they go. Its mind blowing. I have found 4 stroke motorcycles, 4 wheelers, go carts tons of bicycles tv`s kitchen stuff furniture. I really dont have the time t0o go through most of these homes when I find them vacant, I dont get paid for that. I do around 80 inspections a day. Most homes are occupied and thats what I am there to verify but I find at least 2-3 a day that have been abondoned that month. Most people are pissed at the banks and leave the doors open when they go and then the dope heads come in and take the appinaces and fixutres and then they even rip the drywall out for the copper. Found a trailer today that had that done. I love my job

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

centfladigger said:
I do foreclosure home inspections for a bunch of banks and lenders. You would not believe the stuff that people leave behind when they go. Its mind blowing. I have found 4 stroke motorcycles, 4 wheelers, go carts tons of bicycles tv`s kitchen stuff furniture. I really dont have the time t0o go through most of these homes when I find them vacant, I dont get paid for that. I do around 80 inspections a day. Most homes are occupied and thats what I am there to verify but I find at least 2-3 a day that have been abondoned that month. Most people are pissed at the banks and leave the doors open when they go and then the dope heads come in and take the appinaces and fixutres and then they even rip the drywall out for the copper. Found a trailer today that had that done. I love my job

I do property preservation on these foreclosed home also..... it IS amazing what people leave behind BUT you ar not allowed to take anything until a clean out is ordered or you are subject to being arrested for theft of property. I performed an initial secure on one in Birmingham where all I could do was change a door lock and take interior photos. There was all kind of cool stuf there... aluminum car wheels, lawnmowers, furniture, everything in the kitchen cabinets, even saw a box with gold jewelry in it....a fe days later I had to go let the original owners back in the property so they could get some things.... sometime after I was there someone went in and took the wheels and jewelry and some other things.... the people called the police and I had 2 give a statement that I saw th items and didnt take anything

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

blai745 said:
why would you dumpster dive and get all that rotten Garbage Juice all over you??? instead you should advertise that you Pay Cash for Gold.. lets say you pay $20 a gram for 14k like me.. seeing how 1 gram is worth $24 .. and make about $1000 a week... rather make $2000 a year dumpster diving/.

because the stuff in dumpsters is free

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions