Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2014

I HAVE A WHOLE BUNCH OF GREAT FINDS FROM OTHER PEOPLES TRASH .INCLUDING 10 -12 MORGAN DOLLARS 20 OR SO 1/2 DOLLARS NOT TO MENTION ALL THE OTHER SPENDABLE MONEY.

I THINK I COULD WRITE A BOOK ABOUT IT ALL.... 30 - 35 YEARS OF JUNKING OPPS.. TREASURE HUNTING

ANY GOOD STORIES OF GOOD FINDS OF THE STUFF THAT PEOPLE THROW OUT.

I'D LIKE TO HERE SOME......

Last edited:
X

xto

Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES ??

Howdy,

Here is my garbage story. Earlier this week, I was downtown at a clients building and I saw a Herman Miller Aeron chair next to a dumpster.... Later, it was still there so desided to take it home and save the Trash guys some work. The seat pan was broken and a replacement part is $260.... hmmm... I called Herman Miller and 10 minutes of smooshin gets me a new seat pan for free. Now I can code my websites in style and if the rain would ever stop MD at a new spot in the woods that had a 1910 trading post on it. I found it by talking to some older guys about the area.

xto

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR

Does dump digging count? I've found plenty of cool old bottles, cans, relics, even coins and tokens in old dumps.

Or does garage and estate sales count? I've been hunting those for years and selling my finds on Ebay. I've found some doosies.

As far as straight out in the alley in the trash, no I haven't done that too much. But I'd tag along if you took me. LOL

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

XTO
HERMAN MILLER CHAIR SELL IT ON EBAY TAKE THE MONEY...NICE FIND

I'M TALKING ABOUT FINDING THE STUFF free ESTATE SALES DON'T COUNT

DUMP DIGGING IS IN A LEAGUE OF ITS OWN

I 'M TALKING ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THROW OUT....

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Definately, I live near the University of New Hampshire, and when the students move out at the end of the year I always find great stuff. The best was a few years back, found a Griswold #15 oval cast iron fish-fry pan. Sold it on eBay for around $225.

Attachments

• Dcp_0001 copy.jpg
    Dcp_0001 copy.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 18,711

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine

xto said:
Howdy,

Here is my garbage story. Earlier this week, I was downtown at a clients building and I saw a Herman Miller Aeron chair next to a dumpster.... Later, it was still there so desided to take it home and save the Trash guys some work. The seat pan was broken and a replacement part is $260.... hmmm... I called Herman Miller and 10 minutes of smooshin gets me a new seat pan for free. Now I can code my websites in style and if the rain would ever stop MD at a new spot in the woods that had a 1910 trading post on it. I found it by talking to some older guys about the area.

xto

Excellent chair; have one myself. I figured with all the time I sit at the computer, I may as well go all the way. It's absolutely amazing that someone would throw one out.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

never to proud to !!!we dive at 5, local dumpster diver local 69........... ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

Never enough time for me but a local club member drives a Sanitation truck here and found a ring in a sofa that he hauled. It was 14K and had a few diamond chips and a nice sized black opal. It was appreaised at $1200. and he sold it quick for $750. Dang it.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dekalb33 said:
never to proud to !!!we dive at 5, local dumpster diver local 69........... ;D
Hey Dekalb

I think your with local "LOCO" not local 69... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LOL........One of these day we have get out and md..Heard you and bomber did.. Hey the house they tore down that you guys did ...I got a 1887 I H and some change before some guy kicked me off the property ... Don't understand why it's a vacant lot that looks like sh@#^%$#....I'll have to post some pic of coins that people have tossed out................. LATER

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got a 75 lb heavy bag in someone's junkpile at the curb. Also once found a whole rock collection in the town dump, nice pieces, too.

Actually, come to think of it, I've found a lot of neat stuff curbside. Never technically went dumpster diving, but if I spied something nice down in one, there could always be a 1st time :-D

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

U 238 WHAT WAS IN THE 75LB BAG???

I'VE GOTTING ROCK COLECTIONS, KEY COLLECTIONS,KEY CHAIN COLLECTIONS, STAMP COLLECTIONS ( 3 IN ALL ) I MYSELF HAVE LOTS OF COLLECTIONS THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE STARTED AND I JUST KEEP ADDING TO THEM.

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yah sorry I didnt clarify... that's a 75 lb punching bag. With the chains and hooks, no less.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1887 not bad!!!considering that was a recycle station/drop off that explains all the trash i found some niffty rocks in the tree stumps in the back end there some kids treasure hiddy hole......actually i know the guy that owned the house before they tore it down(cool SOB ex-marine corp.), he sold it for a pretty peice oh jing $,$$$,$$$ prime peice of real estate!!!as far as treasure diving, god my garage is full of stuff .fiber optic connections for puters 3 or 4 puters ,new server networking cables, bags of them. tools ,a couple cbs ,lots of 5 gallon buckets ,bag of tennis balls OH and a huge gallon bottle of wheat pennies from a DEMO job i did when i worked for service master. payed 10 bucks for them.one time i came across 3 HUGE boxs of vhs tapes like 300 of them spent and hour picking threw them most the titles sucked but took about 30 or so that i dont have or wanted ,got a few for the kids....

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HERE ARE SOME OF THE GOOD COINS THAT PEOPLE HAVE TOSSED OUT INTO THE GARBAGE

Attachments

• GARBAGE FINDS 001.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 001.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19,146
  • GARBAGE FINDS 002.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 002.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 20,346
  • GARBAGE FINDS 003.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 003.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 17,902
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HERE ARE SOME OF THE GOOD COINS THAT PEOPLE HAVE TOSSED OUT INTO THE GARBAGE

Attachments

• GARBAGE FINDS 004.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 004.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 17,757
  • GARBAGE FINDS 005.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 005.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 20,715
  • GARBAGE FINDS 006.jpg
    GARBAGE FINDS 006.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 17,700

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

A bit of trivia on the picture in the previous post...
#68 in the picture is the insignia of the US Army 45th division in WW 2, the Thunderbird Division. My dad was in that division, and I have his identical shoulder patches from his uniform. In a way, it's appropriate to be seen next to swastika pins; the Nazis were the ones my dad was there to fight.
Good finds, and I hope that adds a bit more value to them for you.
HH,
Bob

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

On the lighter side....There are several people who scour the neighborhoods for thrown out articles on trash pickup day. They are the ones who have perpetual garage sales out of their homes and tie up traffic for two blocks. Most of the time they ask if they can have something but others just come by after dark and take things. After my son visited me one week end with his large dog, I spent Sunday late evening scooping dog poop....a lot of dog poop! Monday morning was trash pickup day. I sat the bag out by the curb and that night and one of the vultures stole my bag of dog poop! My wife and I still laugh about it when we think about the look on their faces when they opened their ill gotten bag of "goodies"! :D Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions