School dumpster gives up 12 Expensive Globes! Random Find..

RFrady

Jan 16, 2011
Steilacoom, WA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice save, and I agree that it is a waste, but if outdated enough for a school to get rid of them, then what would anyone want them for? If they dated to some historic point in time, such as pre-WWII or pre end of Cold War, there might be some historic value, but as modern as 2005, there may be none. Of course, changes since then have been minor and would largely still be applicable. I wish people would read the other posts before commenting. Some things just do not need to be said...

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife teaches World G. She says were probably outdated. Nice score though.

RvaDiggn

Jun 13, 2011
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x, F2 Nautlius DMC IIb
Felinepeachy said:
I guess I would be asking the school why tax payer dollars are going to waste.

Good score though. I hope you make better use of them than the school did.
EXACTLY! Awesome find there

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
djm of PA said:
Nice find!!!
For those that aren't aware, public schools have laws that prohibit them from easily and efficiently reselling items deemed "surplus or trash". While the globes look nice, they are becoming an item that just takes up space in a classroom. With google Earth and the technology age, they are no longer a necessity in a classroom.
Some schools also have laws/policies restricting them from just giving them away. Sometimes the best items are sitting there in a school dumpster just waiting to be found.
Is it a shame...yes. Is it the school's way of wasting tax money, NO. If you don't like it, go to your local school board meetings and voice up your opinion on these policies and fight to change them. I work for a school and I cringe every time we throw a bunch of good stuff away. Of course, I usually bring the truck to work the next morning and show up early before the garbage man gets here :laughing7:

Ya it’s really too bad that they have to dispose of things like this. I get the impression that the person who threw them away was hoping that someone like myself would come around and save them. They could have very easily slammed the dumpster shut and I never would have seen them.

prolab69 said:
12? ...that actually is alot of tax $$..ya figure about $25 a piece or more for each one? heck yeah I would`ve done the same thing!! :thumbsup: Now go and put them all up the schools flagpole :laughing9:

I’m savvy enough to get at least $20-$25 a piece whether they’re outdated or not. I buy and sell every day so I have ways to move them. :icon_pirat:

creskol said:
They threw them away because they don't teach kids geography anymore. I would be willing to bet that half the teachers have never even spun a globe!

I have to agree with this. Now the teachers probably ask everyone to log in to their PC’s and do a quick search for whatever it is they’re discussing.

RFrady said:
Nice save, and I agree that it is a waste, but if outdated enough for a school to get rid of them, then what would anyone want them for? If they dated to some historic point in time, such as pre-WWII or pre end of Cold War, there might be some historic value, but as modern as 2005, there may be none. Of course, changes since then have been minor and would largely still be applicable. I wish people would read the other posts before commenting. Some things just do not need to be said...

Well, not everyone wants a globe for educational purposes. People like them and buy them for a number of reasons. Many people like them just because they look cool and display well. Others may want one because they just don’t have one in their collection. Outdated or not, they deserve a good home.

I also have artist friends that I’m sure would love to have a few.

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
nice save, but I hope you know that now I have the song" I've got the whole world in my hands' stuck in my head !!! :hello2:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
allan said:
nice save, but I hope you know that now I have the song" I've got the whole world in my hands' stuck in my head !!! :hello2:

ditto

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Yes, very nice save(s)! I like the before and after shots! :icon_thumright:

TommNJ

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Man!!!...I think its kinda sad that they were discarded like that...I mean damn...half the times I hear that schools dont have money to buy squat... I understand that somethings change....but not that much to were they are considered trash...

Im still trying to convince my kids that Pluto WAS a planet once :laughing9:

Any plans on selling any?

Very Nice save

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
creskol said:
They threw them away because they don't teach kids geography anymore. I would be willing to bet that half the teachers have never even spun a globe!

Here, they're still taught geography. My kids started learning states and capitals in 5th grade. My boy is now in 7th and they're learning countries/capitals, worldwide. Now, they certainly may not REMEMBER what they're taught (yeah, I've seen the surveys)... or CARE about geography, but that's a different problem.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Felinepeachy said:
Well globes can become outdated when borders and territories change. Or countries are wiped out LOL
I'm thinking of the new country of Southern Sudan ::) .... but could rectify painting over . :thumbsup:
H

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doesn't it make you spit nails knowing your tax dollars are literally being trashed? Good find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Im still trying to convince my kids that Pluto WAS a planet once :laughing9:
Lat I heard it was. Shows you what I know, I thought Pluto was a planet still, until I read your comment and wondered what the heck you were talking about, so I googled it and whatdya know? It isn't considered a planet anymore. doh!.gif

Nice recoveries WIT. I think it's ridiculous that school policies forbid them from selling outdated equipment/supplies. What a waste of taxpayer monies. Not to mention the $385 price tag to begin with. As stated, i'm sure that price is/was overinflated because they were being sold to schools and taxpayer money was paying for it. Kind of like the $800 hammers and such that NASA was paying for several years ago.

Attachments

• doh!.gif
    doh!.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 935

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The world is changing, my friends. In Africa, almost a daily occurance somewhere. And in time.................. My childhood next door neighbor was a maintenance man for a school when they trashed some roll-up maps from the school. He snagged them, and many years later gave them to me. I have a world map from maybe 1920, a pre WWI map of Europe including the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and an 1890 map of California in all it's decorated victorian elegance. I have had these for 40 years now, and can't bring myself to offer them for sale. All in good time.

therick

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2008
Tampa, Florida
I would just take them, turn a profit and go on...................

As much as I would like to go to the next school board meeting and go off on them about wasting tax payers money, (They should have a yard sale every couple of years and sell these surplus items to fund other projects rather than just toss them), it would be my luck that they would arrest me for theft and trespassing because I took them out of the dumpster in the first place. "No good deed goes unpunished." Take the money and run. I'd also go back by that dumpster every few days during the summer and see what else they may be getting rid of.

therick

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I feel sometimes this country is full of a bunch of spoiled dumb asses!!!!!

Those globes could be donated south of the border. Education is the only way we will put a stop to the Narcos in the SOUTH.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Love the Trash Finds! Congrats ;D
My last good one was Old Bibles and a pair of Sterling Candlesticks (weighted),
From a Churches Trash.