How hard core are you? : )

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this morning I went to my townhome's communal residential dumpster to throw away my trash. While flinging my bag inside, I notice that on the bottom of the dumpster is maybe +/-$1.53 in change (a few of each-quarters, nickels, dimes, pennies). The bottom of the dumpster is maybe 1/2 full, but this change is in plain sight.

So, how hard core are you? How many of you would jump in and grab that +/-$1.53? : )

I love plucking all kinds of stuff out of bins, off the sidewalk, whatever, but there was no way in hell I was about to dive into that dumpster! : )

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That depends. were they silver quarters and dimes, war nickels and indian head cents???

I might think about it very hard, or hurry back to my apt and get a broom handle and some gum.

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure, probably just regular coin-couldn't see well enough to tell.

Now that's a good idea! Maybe on Monday when they next empty it they'll still be stuck on the bottom and I will try......ick...or maybe not : )

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, it would depend what I was wearing. If I had clean clothes and decent shoes or sandals on probably not. But if I had a regular pair of shoes and regular clothes, I'd hop right in there. I've hopped into too many and had nasty stuff run down my leg. Don't want to ruin a pair of shorts or pants for $1.53.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do apartment Maintenance Get a Grabber It Helps In those Nasty Dumpsters!!! Chug

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't dive anymore due to disability. :sad11:

Yes, I would dive for $1.53 because that might just be the tip of the iceberg! Who knows what else awaits you?

Anita

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the remote retrieval method.I have a control-able claw on a long stick and a sticky stick with sticky putty on the end for coins and paper items.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a story going around on the internet about finding a Iphone or money in a toilet,and they ask"would you reach in & grab it".Personally I would,because I have twins,and when they were little kids I had them puke on me,poop on me and pee on me.So it's kind of hard to gross me out.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me change laying on top in the open. Is a sign that there could be a change purse or box or even a jar of coins laying in there somewhere too... So yeah, I'm going in !!

Keep @ it and HH !! :laughing7:

rainwolf75

Nov 9, 2013
NW Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now I have to admit that I would not jump in but try and talk someone else into it. lol I too live in a town home community and have only 1 dumpster and people are not suppose to put anything else but house hold trash inside of it but they do sometimes put thing outside of it such as vacuum cleaners that apparently do not work anymore and when they do I just cut the cord off and strip the wire and when i have enough I take then take it to cash in.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
In Northern NH I'd leave it. My stepson is a cook at one of the restaurants in the White Mountains and one night one of his co-workers went out to the dumpster to throw away some trash. He opened the side door and there was a bear inside... Now they chain the dumpsters shut and use a key when they need to open them.

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7:
That's what I'm afraid of! : )

Normally I wouldn't being disabled but since I want a New Fisher F5, What was the address again?

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't crawl in or pull out that little bit of change if it was covered in nasty dumpster bottom stuff. BUT, I use a grabber and can grab up pretty much anything from the bottom of a dumpster with it, even coins. Also, when I check the thrift store dumpster that Ive found tons of stuff in, I always try to dig down to the bottom as that where coins and small jewelry usually end up is on the bottom. When they throw stuff in, things will fall out of pockets of the clothes they are throwing away or the junk boxes.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont lie, If I saw a quarter....I wouldn't touch it..Multiple coins...Id be in there..Money is Money, it all add's up....Plus i live like I'm from the 30s anyway...Ive opened my door at a intersection stop light to retrieve a coin or 2

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wont lie, If I saw a quarter....I wouldn't touch it..Multiple coins...Id be in there..Money is Money, it all add's up....Plus i live like I'm from the 30s anyway...Ive opened my door at a intersection stop light to retrieve a coin or 2

I was 3rd in line at a light, put the car in park, got out, walked over to a bush and picked up this green paper. Everybody was watching me. I opened it up as i walked back and held it up for all to see. and i mouthed out TWENTY.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread