Does anyone else watch Hoarder TV shows and.......

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Yep my wife watches that show all the time. And yep the few times I watched it it was obvious those folks had a problem.
I guess though with the clean up they are more interested in getting the stuff out then in what they could do with it.

I wonder how many treasures went into a dumpster when they do this for real. More then willing to bet though on the shows, there's someone on scene who knows if something is valuable. Question is do they tell the family, or keep it for themselves?

With all the stupid reality shows they have, wonder why they haven't done a Dumpster Divers? Be more interesting to me then some Diva's of Podunk, or Guy's with beards.

p.s. I had an Aunt like that, big time horder. We went through everything, found she was also hording money too, and hiding it among all the trash she was keeping. If we hadn't been looking it would have ended up in the dump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I realize that they have a sickness, I meant a sickness for those of us who are drooling over all of the stuff that they are throwing away : )

I guess since they have the help of the TV show at that moment, they might not have time ot go through it all and sort out the potential valuables, but you would think that most of these people need money. It just saddens me all that great history that is just going to the dump and eing forever lost. Yeah, I wonder if the hired people cleaning out the house ever go through it later or use different dumpsters for the good vs. ick stuff?

"Diva's of Podunk, or Guy's with beards" funny

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate the show and the people are gross and should be locked away, especially the ones with kids.

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some that are beyond hope and need mush more serious help (maybe to include being put away) but others just need some light at the end of their tunnels and help to see it.

And no, I am not a bleeding heart by any means! : )

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone who would live in the filth that they show on tv is beyond help I think....maybe not, but probably.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I went to an auction for the contents of a hoarder's house a couple of years ago. After they abandoned the place, the vandles got in and trashed it. It was so bad all the other pickers just shook their heads and left. My partner and I got it for $50. After picking through it and taking the things we wanted, 2 pick up loads each, we moved most out to the yard and had a yard sale. netted $950 on sat. and gave the rest to one of the neighbors. We didn't even have to clean it up. Good weekend.

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an auction for the contents of a hoarder's house a couple of years ago. After they abandoned the place, the vandles got in and trashed it. It was so bad all the other pickers just shook their heads and left. My partner and I got it for $50. After picking through it and taking the things we wanted, 2 pick up loads each, we moved most out to the yard and had a yard sale. netted $950 on sat. and gave the rest to one of the neighbors. We didn't even have to clean it up. Good weekend.

Cool beans-see that's what I was looking to hear. In some (most?) cases I'm sure it takes a strong stomach, but I'm also sure that there has to be some properties that it is def worth the effort. Thanks for posting!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched a horders show last week ... Were after they got it cleaned out...They had a sale and made ... $9000.00 pretty good ...... but not many like that......

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a horders show last week ... Were after they got it cleaned out...They had a sale and made ... $9000.00 pretty good ...... but not many like that......

Yeah, that sure sounds like a record!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't even think of watching it.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife is trying to be like her mother, but I keep it in check. My wife collects recipes and cookbooks, but never ever makes anything for me from them:icon_scratch:.....nge

OP
OP
Catobra

Catobra

Jun 21, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife collects recipes and cookbooks, but never ever makes anything for me from them:icon_scratch:.....nge

My daughter does the same thing, I don't get it : )

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank god i can say i am not a collector or horder ..... I sell every thing i find .. If i can not sell it it goes to Goodwill or some place like that.....And if it is really junk it goes to the dump..... My self something setting on a shelf or in a display case..... just to look at just takes up space ..... And i like things neat and no clutter...... My wife calls me Monk after that tv show.............

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I was raised by a neat-nic mother, my wife was raised by a hoarder. Our house is a bit cluttered, but not to the degree of the tv show. I regularily clear my stuff out, when my wife sees an empty spot, it's like she is in 7th. heaven and finds something to cram in there......nge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread