Todays Dumpster Dive Find

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Typiclaly in our area, they drop off these large blue dumpsters for the locals to bring out their trash.. This morning while taking my walk, I noticed a subway lunch bag which read.. "Reuse Me".. picking it up I pulled out the discared trash.. but under all that trash.. rolls and rolls of Pennies, Nickles and Dimes.. I've yet to count how much, but under those rolls of change.. three sets of ear rings and two gold rings.. (diamonds)
I'll be checking everythign out shortly..

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that was intended for some charity and you should deposit those items accordingly.

What's next, stealing from a churches poor box :dontknow: :laughing7:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He said it was for locals to dump their trash.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One man's trash is another man's treasure!

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I find items by simply looking down on the ground.. often I can be found in these large dumpsters searching closed boxes, the pockets of pants, closed luggage, bottles, cans.. etc.. the finds arent everyday and typically it's all in the timing.. Two dumpsters I frequent.. are often full within in hours.. and are located in and around appartment complexes.. The best tiem is at the end of the month or the begaining of the following month. Where tenants lease run out and many just leave there stuff behind and the complex simply throws it out. So the old saying.. about leaving money under or between the mattress.. is true.. Finding moeny of rings in the strangest places..

All totaled.. there was 9.00 worth of change, three earings, two gold rings.. 16 marbles.. couples of plastic sortage trays.. and the list goes on.. One thing I will need to start looking into is a utlity trike.. (stroller) I cna use to carry more and bigger items home..
100_1527.JPG_thumb.jpg

In one of my earlier post.. I spoke about seaching the back allies near our home.. and often I catch the person/s dumping the trash and offer to help them to deside if they really want to trough this stuff away.. and I usally end up with something from them as payment for helping..

What really surprises me, is that while searching the car wash.. I find unused or slightly used car care products.. which in turn I end up using on our Jeep afterward. so stay the course and find thsoe things.. before they are taken away.

As for spart... I've ignored him long ago and thanks to all those who responded favorably.. oh btw.. as for images.. I think I have some images from a past finds (past post here).. sort of a montage of a few things I often find while walking around the town...

bytheway.. the enameled jewelry box was included in this find..

Last edited:

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't actually dumpster dive, I live in a neighborhood and there aren't any dumpsters close by. But I do check out the trash on heavy trash day. Have found tons of furniture to refinish and sell. Also three or four computers with lots of salvageable parts inside, and once found a jewelry box with about $350 of gold and silver in it. My next door neighbors are a couple of younger women, who throw away good stuff frequently. Last month a stainless steel barbeque pit weighed a ton. Scrapped it for $72. Love what people throw away.

OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I've run into others who are "true" dumpdster divers. and they eat what they find.. I persaonly would not attempot to eat anything found.. and it's getting to the point where I feel anyone that wants to DD need to start wearing rubber/latex gloves.. just to be on the safe side.. this mornings find wasnt as nice as the above image.. but it's been helping gain cleaning supplies for our jeep.. Tire polish, wax cleaner etc.. and 90% of these products haven't been used or used very little.. and are simply thrown away because the spray nozzle was broken..

OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Continuation: Todays find.. was a small create of "HO" scale trains, tracks etc.. However, without any way to recover these trains (brign home) sadly, I had to leave them behind.. Small stations, car carriors etc.. the box was just to cumbersome for me to carry home.. thats why I need a Utility trike.. (modififed three wheel stroller) the cheapest used trike I've seen is $85.00 The search continues,...

DEHew64

Jan 29, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Stinger
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Continuation: Todays find.. was a small create of "HO" scale trains, tracks etc.. However, without any way to recover these trains (brign home) sadly, I had to leave them behind.. Small stations, car carriors etc.. the box was just to cumbersome for me to carry home.. thats why I need a Utility trike.. (modififed three wheel stroller) the cheapest used trike I've seen is $85.00 The search continues,...

Why don't you get a "Little red wagon" to put all that loot in?

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Wow @Stone, those HO trains, parts, and models can be pricey. You might want to pick something like that up next time.

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
My oldest son who lives in the Phoenix area (a college town) loves to hit the dumpster in his complex every time the kids graduate and move out... furniture, old computers, tons of CD's and once a gallon jug full of change.... came to about $200. worth when he cashed it in.

Kids when they move tend to just toss anything out they do not want to fly home with:icon_thumright:

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to say that you should go back for the trains but I see the post was back in september. I feel dumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions