Waste Not- Want Not

corvidcrazy

May 23, 2012
Oh the memories of dumpster diving! The rush and thrill of discovery is addicting as well as profitable. Unfortunately, in some areas it is illegal and considered a crime. If you're respectful, not too noisy, and clean up after yourself, why is it a problem?

God forbid you try to pick up something at the city dump while you are getting rid of your own trash. That's another crime.

It is a hobby well missed since I don't believe it should be done solo....

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm finding that anything and everything is fare game when it comes to DD, however I've taken a differant stance of being called a DDer..I sort view myself as a Scrounger instead.. seems the offical DDers are those that have taken on diving for food and not just treasures..

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding that anything and everything is fare game when it comes to DD, however I've taken a differant stance of being called a DDer..I sort view myself as a Scrounger instead.. seems the offical DDers are those that have taken on diving for food and not just treasures..

If a man has to DD in my trash for a bite to eat,i`ll leave him some canned goods on the top of the can,Sad that this country would charge someone for Dumpster Diving just because they were looking for something to eat. As far as searching for profit goes,If its on the curb for the dump truck to pick up,I think its fair game as long as you practice respectful methods of recovering the good items and dont leave a mess behind.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
No more diving for me. A peek from outside perhaps. Shame what gets tossed. Much should be recycled,saving resources,landfill space,energy,and needed work.
Things i,ve pulled should not be mentioned, oh well they illustrate senseless waste. A push mower with hardly any hours on it that ran great. A new golf bag. A saxophone i was offered 300 for. On it goes. The organic material once composted ,how many communities have barren/sterile earth begging for it? We are a peculiar people with our stewardship. Profit needs proven to encourage more recycling,the work force is available,hunger a strong motivator.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're respectful, not too noisy, and clean up after yourself, why is it a problem?

I agree 100%, unfortuantley, most people these days are not respectful or quiet, and do NOT clean up after themselves. The boneheads always ruin it for the good folks.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't necessarily think it's the diver's they are going for, but rather the people making illegal dumps. That seems to be a larger problem than someone removing an item, and costly too :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread