Brokenhearted!!!

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few weeks ago I noticed a family had been "put out" (evicted). I didn't really think too much of it, but then I noticed a roll-off container (dumpster) had been parked there. I was out walking the dog and decided to take a peek inside. Well, what I saw really caught my attention! So I went home, got a little stepladder and headed back to dive in!

I was ABSOLUTELY BROKENHEARTED by what I saw. An entire set of Haviland China smashed to bits. American art pottery, crystal, all tossed in together. Made me sick to my stomach :sadsmiley: I pulled out what I could salvage. This pic is some of the pieces that weren't too badly damaged. The china is Haviland, the rooster is Hull, the little tea cups are Bailey-Walker, the creamer is Frankoma, and the vase in the back is weighted sterling silver.

Why, oh why???? If only I had gotten there sooner. What the heck is wrong with people?

Dumpster Diving.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most people don't even know or care. in my part of the country the manager would have gone the the local home depot and hired 2-3 illegals to clear out everything.

3 weeks ago i went to a yardsale that had lots of interesting things. I got to talking with the sale "owner" he works for a mortgage company and is hired to clean out eviction properties. He gets to keep any thing he wants and dumpster the rest. I reminded him to look in the attic and the crawl space under the house. He already knew, that is where he finds valuables.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As Red Has Said to Me Many time's!!! We live in a throw away society, Many people are not aware of What they throw Away

Many landlords are angry when they Have to Evict and Have Lost thousands of dollers in the Process!!! They will take out their frustrations and Anger on the Inamaninte objects they See Before them!!!

Its a Shame it Happens But At Least You Save A few Nice Items From the Land Fill!!!

Dont Forget to Look Under the Bottoms of Drawers In Furniture Those Envolopes Hold Some Green Stuff and Some times Things Much Better HH Chug

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 weeks ago i went to a yardsale that had lots of interesting things. I got to talking with the sale "owner" he works for a mortgage company and is hired to clean out eviction properties. He gets to keep any thing he wants and dumpster the rest. I reminded him to look in the attic and the crawl space under the house. He already knew, that is where he finds valuables.

I want that job!!

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Red Has Said to Me Many time's!!! We live in a throw away society, Many people are not aware of What they throw Away

Many landlords are angry when they Have to Evict and Have Lost thousands of dollers in the Process!!! They will take out their frustrations and Anger on the Inamaninte objects they See Before them!!!

Its a Shame it Happens But At Least You Save A few Nice Items From the Land Fill!!!

Dont Forget to Look Under the Bottoms of Drawers In Furniture Those Envolopes Hold Some Green Stuff and Some times Things Much Better HH Chug

Thanks, Chug! You are so right about the "throw away" society. It breaks my heart! I am the exact opposite... I see potential in everything! Love your advice to check under the furniture... never crossed my mind before!

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do that job. It's not a bed of strawberries let me tell you. I have in the past done remodel jobs making homes ready to re-sell. The guys who change locks usually cherry pick (I cant tell you how many empty gun cases and jewelery boxes i've found) The realtor usually cherry picks when they go in to take initial pictures. then you get there, there's dog sh*t all over the carpet, broken glass all over, burn holes in everything, maybe a hobo hasnt filled the living room or kitchen up with trash, or filled the toilet with you guessed it. Maybe kids haven't spray painted the walls or kicked holes in every piece of drywall. If you are REALLY lucky the previous owners took the fridge and all of their food with them before the power was shut off. If you are lucky you can cherry pick on the first go through but usually, like detecting, the good stuff is under the trash (i've found silver chains while raking carpet and while loading trash cans with a hay fork). I've cleaned out some pretty ran-sacked houses in the past, and from personal experience unless you do it yourself, you will get a lot of really great sale-able items thrown away over the course of a year.

OP
OP
B

bethnbijoux

Nov 26, 2012
Just west of Cowtown!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tlowery04, you really give me a whole new appreciation for folks who do those clean-outs. That sounds like a whole lot of hard work to me!!

scurvy_seadog

Feb 9, 2013
Grays Harbor washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Bounty hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett pro pointer, Garrett AT Gold.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! People can toss someone's belonging out like that? That is ilegal yes the house apartment is the banks land lords but the contents is the occupants. one can't just toss their belongings in the dump.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa! People can toss someone's belonging out like that? That is ilegal yes the house apartment is the banks land lords but the contents is the occupants. one can't just toss their belongings in the dump.
Yes, one can...assuming they have gone through all the legally-specified steps of foreclosure, or eviction.
Jim

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is truth to what you say. This is strictly a state law issue, so it varies from state to state. Residential goods are usually, though not always, protected by a two step a "keep safe" and offset process. If you leave your priceless coin collection behind after a residential eviction, the landlord has a duty to "keep safe" the collection for a statutory period (not usually more than a week) and provide you with notice of the same. If you fail to respond, then the landlord has a duty to auction the collection off for fair market value and "offset" whatever back rent you owed by the cash proceeds, less storage and auction expenses. There is almost always a value threshold - $1,000 worth of coins triggers the duty, whereas a blanket and windex bottle would not. Of course things don't always work out that way. It's a lot easier to simply steal or dump the belongings.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
I've had it, you would be surprised at all the stuff people leave in those houses

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread