Things not to do when cleaning out Grannys house

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Things not to do when cleaning out Granny's house

recently i was asked if i wanted some stuff from a house that was bought to be used as a rental property.i went and looked and wanted to cry.the lady's grand daughters had gone into the house and thrown everything in the garbage.i went through the garbage and found some very nice pieces of depression glass , china,silver flatware ,OLD!!! mantle clocks etc.It is a shame that most of the glass items were broken, or to chipped to keep.I find it amazing how little some people seem to care about their elderly relatives things.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. The house next to my parents was "cleaned out" into the woods
clothes , dishes, pictures, vacuums etc just tossed out into the woods. My mom and I picked out some thing that were still usable Ladder extension cord, milk crates etc.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year a lady down the street was moving out of her house,because her husband got the house in the divorce(and did't want it).She left with what she wanted & when the husband came to clean it up,he was a bit suprised that she was a MASSIVE HORDAR,she had all kinds of stuff,it took 8 roll-offs to get all the junk out of that house.He came by my house to talk and told me if I wanted anything to come on down,I only got a couple of things like a new microwave ,a Dyson vaccume cleaner,2 kids bikes,brand new basketballs(5),footballs,and brand new wooden baseball bats(donated 'em to Blue Santa).The real problem was the smell of the house.It took him about a year to replace the carpet,tile walls,etc in the house,spent about $50K and then when he couldn't get what he wanted for the house he went ahead and moved back in.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several years ago a old man down the street from me died.He was a pack rat and had books and papers stacked to the cieling everywhere in the house with hardly any room to move around.His kids came to clean out the house and found out he had stashed his paper money in between the pages of the books.They broke out all the windows and went thru the books checking every page then tossed them out the windows.I talked to one of the sons and he said they got close to 100 grand out of the books and papers.They bulldozed the house and hauled off the trash now its a vacant over grown wooded lot.I think this week im gonna go detect it as with most pack rats they like to bury valuables around the yard.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My younger brother died in 2010 and I had the "pleasure" of cleaning up the property. 5 generations of stuff. I know I threw out some "good" stuff, but with mold on paper,??, but here's how it played out. One car trunk of "goodies" went to my house including dad's WWII uniforms and souveniers, mom's jewelry, the duck decoy collection, some carnival glass, trinkets, etc. They never threw anything out. We used ten 10 yard dumpsters to clean the place out. 1 dumpster took the cabin cruiser. (crunch crunch crunch) 2 were for metal scrap (4 lawn tractors, etc), the 20 POUNDS of 1960 vintage black powder got watered into the lawn. (Take lid off slowly- God please don't let it blow, don't let it blow, etc.) A lot of stuff had molded in the basement, so all in all 7 more dumpsters for trash, which included the kitchen cabinets, flooring and complete bathroom and old furnace. We had an estate auction, it was ok. I guess. My brother died suddenly, and somebody with first day knowledge went into the house twice and helped themselves to the gun collection. I know who did it, but can't really prove it. However after day 2 of stealing the guns (he got about 4), we had taken the rest out previously, I said to him "Hey, ******, (name deleted) there have been two burglaries in the past two days here. However, I've solved that problem. I know a couple real hard cases who were in 5th Special forces, they got in this am from Virginia and I've hired them to watch the place. These are the kind of guys who will be hiding in the trees with their spy cameras and no one in the neighborhood will ever ever see them." Funny, I only said that to one person and nothing else was ever stolen off the property! I do not hoard. Goodwill did real well last year!

OP
OP
G

gods country girl

May 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the people were not hoarders, the house is in awesome condition. the grand daughters just wanted to turn a quick buck and cleaned it out the fast way.crazy what some people will do

mdge45

Mar 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mother in law kept money in books as well, we didn't get there in time and her step sons sent everything to the roll offs, everything!
This house I bought a year ago was home to a veteran, he son didn't want his medals that were in shadow boxes on the walls, I thought this was
strange for a son, but I suggested he pass them on to the legion or the local war museum. what a shame.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoarders also hide stuff in the frezzer.

bigjamesinohio

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
I used to work at refuse company and would love digging through the roll offs when we parked them on the yard. I made some great $ from the trash people would throw out! You never know what you would find, I would even come across cash money once in awhile! This is the only aspect I miss about that job!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread