How a dumpster got me into metal detecting...

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Cheapo Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While working with a buddy opening a new business I went to the dumpster to toss out some stuff left behind by previous tenants and discovered they had tossed out all kinds of stuff I wouldn't have thrown out. Among the items in the dumpster was an old laptop computer. Nothing fancy but it still worked fine when I plugged it in. I brought it home where it sat for awhile until one day I see a post on Craigslist where a guy is wanting to trade his MD for a laptop. It was nothing fancy, a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, but I've been wanting to get an MD for awhile now. Perfect trade for a laptop I would probably have never used! :laughing7:

So here I am a few weeks later and totally hooked!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME! and Good Luck in your metal detecting future! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Delpirt

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks old digger!

On a side note, I grew up in Helena! I sure do miss Big Sky Country sometimes!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure wished I lived a little closer to the Helena and the western area. More opportunity for some gold detecting. And chances to check out some of the old mining camps.

OP
OP
Delpirt

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure exactly where we found it, but when I was a kid my buddy and I found an old mine while playing soldiers up in the hills. There was still lots of cool stuff laying about. We found a lantern and mining car but were too scared to go into the entrance of the mine. Sure wish I could go back there now!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
too scared to go into the entrance of the mine. Sure wish I could go back there now!
Good thing you didn't go in or you might not be here to post your adventures.
I live in SoCA and live 10 miles from Disneyland so it is hard to believe but there are old abandoned silver mines pretty close. people (adults) have been known to go in and never come out, on their own.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't let anyone dissuade you about your machine.

My first machine was a Sharpshooter2 and I SWEAR that thing was psychic.

Are there better out there? Sure. But if I were a nice crisp Standing Liberty Quarter or a Buffalo Nickel I would be more afraid of the guy who has a bounty hunter and KNOWS his machine than somebody with a 2,000.00 "wonder" and is too lazy to learn it.

OP
OP
Delpirt

Delpirt

Feb 19, 2013
Portland Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing you didn't go in or you might not be here to post your adventures.
I live in SoCA and live 10 miles from Disneyland so it is hard to believe but there are old abandoned silver mines pretty close. people (adults) have been known to go in and never come out, on their own.

It's like they say, curiosity killed the cat. All the thoughts of gold nuggets or lost treasure were not strong enough to convince a couple of kids that it was worth the risk of ghosts, bears, or cave-ins in that creepy old mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread