OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well move out is basically done at our local college town , got a ton of stuff this year basically a a whole new wardrobe for my oldest daughter (18) and she is even over the whole it came out of a dumpster thing lol I high grade pretty well so no nasty stuff comes home in the car a bunch of clothes for me lots with tags still on them and gave ones that didn't fit me to a few buddies, nice barbell and steel weights gave to a friends teenager, new shop speakers for me , tons of cleaning supplies( new brooms and dust pans, chemicals soap ect), usually don't do food personally but someone set stuff next to the dumster so unopened olive oill & canned stuff all good to go, fully functional ipod and accesories! , 6 bucks or so in change , new eddie bauer leather belt for me, a couple broken silver chains half ounce or so, the list goes on and on
chris

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1st. year of college for my son was in San Antoino ,and when I was moving him back home to his mother & me in Austin.there was a ton of stuff next to all the dumpsters,practally brand new.I can't stand to see good,unopen food go to waste,so I collected 10 banana boxes of food and found out where the SA food bank was and we made a pit stop there before going home.The next year the college teamed up with the Salvation Army to collect all unopened food and other stuff. Here in Austin,the university of Texas does this with furniture,clothes,and other dorm room stuff and then they sell it & the money goes to a non -profit student project..

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
at this college there are multiple drop off sites set up on campus to donate to a few different non profits and kids still just dump so much it is horrible. the food bank idea is great if I see more like that that's what I will do. forgot to mention alot of the clother are higher name brand items too ton of under armor, nike stuff for me, aripostle, american eagle ect ect for the daughter a couple of pairs of 7 for all mankind womens jeans that will be ebayed or put on CL who buys new jeans starting @ $160 anyway lol. forgot to mention backpacks, duffle bags, hangers, towels still folded up.
chris

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I work at the community college here in town and the last day of each semester
I pick up brand new notebooks, pens, pencils, books, and jump drives all day.
Most of it my kids use and I sell the books back to the bookstore.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
going to be moving my daughter out next friday for the last time (at that school, 4 is enough) last year I parked my car near a dumpster and was peeking in and my daughter had a fit, nothing worth taking anyway. her school has designated bins for electronics but nothing else.

Have to make a trip up to her school tomorrow to get her 10 speed. I have an SUV but not a monster one so the bike gets the whole backend to itself. no dumpsters close to where I can park.

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
i actually go to college. (im 22) and will definatly have to look when school is over next year.

i know kids are stupid and just throw away a bunch of usuable stuff......kinda ignorant.

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Found tons of good things back when I was moving out of college. Live in a state with a bottle deposit law, so cans and bottles were plentiful and easy money. Of course, the easiest money was the change that people would throw away. Why anyone would throw actual money away is beyond me, but several did.

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep forgot to mention the change prob found 4 bucks this year and found a $25 Barnes & noble gift card, my theory is it was a Asian student going home I think a lot of what is tossed at this school is from out of state and out of country students. Chris

OP
OP
W

WINTERBEAR

Sep 20, 2012
eastern Wa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some updates. Sorted out name brand clothes and took in a ton to platos closet a name brand only second hand shop. Made $85.35 and they only purchased 1 rubber made tote full as they were pretty full on inventory, the racks were full! Anyway all from dumpsters the last couple months, plus we kept a bunch for ourselves like the $80 jack and jones jeans I wore today. Last week in a box pulled off the top of a dumpster found a ton of use full items ; lighters , AA maglight, Star Wars Lego set, hangers , fly tying book $15 bookstore tag on it , $12 price on hot springs of the nw book, ties , new Columbia hat, and a practically unused pair of Justin 4444 work boots no wear on the soles but a touch of heel drag really bummed they are a size too small but they will be on CL tomorrow. A few clothing items I am keeping , blank pocket journals, anyway you get the point very rarely do I dive I pick off the top. Chris

image-2373417091.jpg

image-1016492036.jpg

FloridaMike

Apr 8, 2014
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My office is a block away from a SA facility. This past friday I saw imates taking food out the back door of the kitchen and into a Sheriff 's van. They spilled a case of apples onto the driveway and cleaned up the mess by throwing them onto the grass. Next time donate to your local church foodbank instead of people that broke laws and are in jail.

Minas man

Apr 5, 2014
Atlantic Canada
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Anfibio wireless headphones
Nokta Makro Pulse Dive & Pulse Dive 8 inch
Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
NEL Hunter & 5 inch fish
Killer B's headphones
Tesoro Vaquero 5x10 DD wide scan Realistic No
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a college town and to avoid all the waste of good useable things going the land fill they have a organized collection of student and towns folk items. The items are sorted and sold at the university arena. It is called the Dump and Run and local non profit organizations staff the sale and then all funds are split and go back into the community. ie.food bank, Lions club, Rotary Club, Youth groups ......... Prices are cheap at this 1 day event.

Minas man

Anitanita

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
central Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a college town, unfortunately I'll be out of town when school is out. However, I'm going to another university to pick up my daughter soon and might just have to do a little "shopping."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread