Dumpster Diving, Being Curbed

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Well now this is a big change.. seems the dumpster I've been going to for the last few months has changed.. meaning there are no longer shallow sides with steps for me to stand on.. This new dumpster has talled sides and now steps.. whcih in my case makes it ahrder to actuall look into the dumpster.. Yet as a last resort.. There is the back door to the dumpster.. and again it's been locked.. I have a feeling that word si getting out about what type of stuff is being thrown away and to whom is actually recovering these items.. So scraps are becoming few and far between.. But I'll keep searching in the knowing that I can and have found items which I've been able to sell to others..

Last find.. A pewter bracelet made by a designer from Demmark.. Accornding to sourse.. this bracelet normally sells for $150.00.. So why dont I have pics or more data about this bracelet?.. I sold it same day without gettign a pic.. man these buyers are fast.. just like last week.. Found a set of plastic clamps.. so I started walking home.. when this van pulls up, window rolls down and I hear this voice say, How much you want for those clamps.. Again sold them before I could get a pic..

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt locked dumpsters since usually the door will open a little, I got a extendable old folks claw lol. Now I just pull the bag to the door rip it open or pull it through. It pick up individual item with it.

OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Nick.. I was very fortunate this time.. seem it was just one time they placed that steep sided blue dumpster in the lot.. This more.. was back to my old habbits.. Found a discarded navy uniform (full set and my size) 2 date planner bullitain boards.. a number of plates (lime green) and few odds and ends.. Oh and 4 Baltimore ravens football cards.. which I actually sold when I exited the dumpster.. $20.00 I know I'm a cheap date.. :P but hey If I can get the green before I get home..

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad haul for you there. My fave spot at the local thrift store is out for me. They caught into me and turned their camera towards it lol. I don't think it was me their after problay someone left a bunch of stuff on the ground problay and they got mad. Oh well there will always be others. Do you live in a larger city mines kinda small and mostly houses not to many dumpsters. We have a huge college but they lock the dumpsters in a fences in area and its hard to get into and not worth the charge if I get caught. On a positive note found a nice circulating fan for a table top last night, works great. Gotta love the elderly they throw out all kinds of great items. Lol typing that I thought of a new place, retirement communities! Kinda morbid but if they die the stuff problay goes into the dumpster.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Last week I pulled out a homemade wheelbarrel made of cedar. Now there's something you don't
see everyday.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh one of the planters problay. Was the wood kinda soft? Alot of people throw away cedar because of that lol don't know why that's what keeps it weather proof

OP
OP
StoneWhisper

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I've thought about the "depost Boxes" around our streets.. But feeling that if it's not actually in the drop box and jsut laying beside the drop box, Is it fair game?.. I feel guilty if I go through it.. But I see the homelss doing this all the time.. So I catch myself and just walk away.. I just know what is fair game.. the back ally is fare, big blue dumpsters.. even trash bags along the road site.. Hell I've been known to stop the jeep along the high way just to grab a discarded bungee cord..

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Nick, Yes it looks like a planter box on wheels that have aluminum covers, wood is fresh but stapled.
It looks like whoever made it just gave up and dumped it.

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
About 2 weeks ago I pulled 253 usb jump drives out of a dumpster. All were brand new in unopened plastic sleeves. They were all 1gb showing 980 usable space. Put them on Ebay and they sold like this, 1 lot of for $90, 1 lot of for $150, 2 sep. lots of 50 for $125 all buy it now or best offer. One auction for 5x sold for $11.50 and a second chance offer sold for $11. I only have 2 listings left, one is for 20x for $50 and a lot of 5x for auction with a bid. Did real good with this find. Here's a link to the auctions: 20x 1GB USB Flash Drive | eBay
5X 1GB Black USB Flash Drive | eBay
I found if you spread your listings out over a few weeks you tend to do better.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 154

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell I've been known to stop the jeep along the high way just to grab a discarded bungee cord..
I was on the freeway a year ago going along pretty good (maybe 45mph) in a crowded part. I am in the slow lane and I spot something in the emergency lane. as I zip by I recognize it. I can't stop or even pull over. I would probably be a quarter mile down the road by the time i stop.

I will let the clean up crew have the carpenters tool belt full of tools that probably fell off his truck that morning.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've locked brakes when I seem a nice Hobart welder along the highway lol. I've picked up tool boxes, full tool cases, all kinds of stuff. A great place to look are curves and RR crossings.

dirtfisherrob

Greenie
Feb 23, 2009
I found a Jiffy clothes steamer on the side of the road the other day, works great. Din't have to dive for it either.

spankster13

Apr 11, 2007
West By God Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites DI5900
The on ramps to highways have always been good for me. If you ever notice there seem to be more bottles and coffe cups in those turns as they get up to speed to enter traffic. People still put their wallets and purses on top of vehicle and drive off. Pay attention and see how many you find, also cell phones.

allen

Gold Member
Jul 16, 2004
Shelbyville or any yard where the owner will let m
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pick up the trash along the road in front of the college where I work and there was a TV box laying there and I was like well we recycle the cardboard, low and behold the TV was still in the box, brand new Emerson 32 inch. I was like hell yeah baby!

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just drive around looking for house clean-out type dumpsters - those are the best(!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread