jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is fine, to each their own. If something is on private property whether it is in a trash can or just sitting there taking it is stealing.

I noticed this post went from me saying "I think it is amazing that people think that they can come on to private property. One of these days someone is going to get shot I am guessing" to me pulling a gun on someone. I said that meaning that not everyone is as forgiving and polite as we were about it. Some people take trespassing really serious.

I guess if the dumpster is on public property, people can do what they want, but to defend someone coming onto private property to steal something is a little odd. You NH werent doing that, but it seems others were.

The whole point of my post was the fact that it was private property and how people will even come bang on a door in order to try to scavenge stuff.

Well My personal opinion. Dumpsters are no different then Trash Bags,
or trash can on the Curb. as far as contents.
If I saw someone take my Trash Bag, or open & dig through it,
I would have a chuckle,
because, Trust me, after adding all kinds of trash including left over food & egg shells
would not be Pretty. :tongue3:

I would get upset if I found out, some detective did it in hopes of setting me up
by finding something in my trash. but again at the same time chuckle over their desperation
and the smell they would most certainly need to fight. :laughing7: & for nothing :laughing9:

As for a Dumpster in my back yard, Tuff call.
You are right, some gun happy person would shoot first,
& warn after :( but me personally, I'd just blow it off as someone
after my own mindset. "there is treasure everywhere"
only difference, I don't throw away possible treasure :tongue3:

But trespassing is still trespassing, if someone is willing to pursue charges.

Just like a Dumpster behind Wallyworld or a place that discards Copper.
and yes people have been arrested dumpster diving at the local house trailer
plant. of course i have no idea if the trash was meant for the landfill.

But if the dumpster diver asks that's a whole different animal.
Unless there is something there illegal you are hiding, like a dead body,
Or the contents are promised or aern't meant for disposal,
What's the loss by them not going to the landfill for them to pick through ??

Last edited:
OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well My personal opinion. Dumpsters are no different then Trash Bags,
or trash can on the Curb. as far as contents.
If I saw someone take my Trash Bag, or open & dig through it,
I would have a chuckle,
because, Trust me, after adding all kinds of trash including left over food & egg shells
would not be Pretty. :tongue3:

I would get upset if I found out, some detective did it in hopes of setting me up
by finding something in my trash. but again at the same time chuckle over their desperation
and the smell they would most certainly need to fight. :laughing7: & for nothing :laughing9:

As for a Dumpster in my back yard, Tuff call.
You are right, some gun happy person would shoot first,
& warn after :( but me personally, I'd just blow it off as someone
after my own mindset. "there is treasure everywhere"
only difference, I don't throw away possible treasure :tongue3:

But trespassing is still trespassing, if someone is willing to pursue charges.

Just like a Dumpster behind Wallyworld or a place that discards Copper.
and yes people have been arrested dumpster diving at the local house trailer
plant. of course i have no idea if the trash was meant for the landfill.

But if the dumpster diver asks that's a whole different animal.
Unless there is something there illegal you are hiding, like a dead body,
Or the contents are promised or aern't meant for disposal,
What's the loss by them not going to the landfill for them to pick through ??

The contents were meant for disposal. I know you cannot wrap your mind around that being you probably do some scavenging of your own.

The person asking makes no difference. You know it and so do I. You try to equate it with me having something to hide to try to make your point more valid. It doesn't work that way.

Heck if I decided to throw away money, real cash (which I would never do, just using it as an example), and it was on private property, your need to scavenge does not trump my property rights. That is why I posted this post. People felt entitled, came on to private property, and were turned away. They left with NOTHING.

I don't have to make an excuse as to why they were not allowed in the dumpster. Everything was in good to great condition. Electronics, tiled kitchen table with matching 6 chairs, appliances, and a lot more.

Would you go onto someones property without permission to metal detect? Answer that question and you know why I am pissed.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The contents were meant for disposal. I know you cannot wrap your mind around that being you probably do some scavenging of your own.

The person asking makes no difference. You know it and so do I. You try to equate it with me having something to hide to try to make your point more valid. It doesn't work that way.

Heck if I decided to throw away money, real cash (which I would never do, just using it as an example), and it was on private property, your need to scavenge does not trump my property rights. That is why I posted this post. People felt entitled, came on to private property, and were turned away. They left with NOTHING.

I don't have to make an excuse as to why they were not allowed in the dumpster. Everything was in good to great condition. Electronics, tiled kitchen table with matching 6 chairs, appliances, and a lot more.

Would you go onto someones property without permission to metal detect? Answer that question and you know why I am pissed.

you apparently took my post wrong, as I was agreeing with your right to your opinion.

Just saying my personal outlook would have most likely been the opposite. but That's just me.

and no I would not trespass on private property to treasure Hunt.

But at the same time, I do do not judge those who do.
unless they were to enter my actual Home, by way of door or window to do so.

or are part of the "holier then thou crew", cops, priests, detectives, Politicians etc.
Those who claim to be perfect or above the law. get judged by me regularly.

just my live & let live outlook on life,
and finding humor in most things.:tongue3:

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
But would if you was not going to sell it or give it to good will or some place like that …… It would be a lot cheaper to let people take it away for free ……..than pay some one to take it away for you..

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NHBandit i would give you 2 thumbs up if I could for your post!

I noticed you keep saying OUR property, is it your property or did you inherit nothing, which also may be a source of your misplaced rage and willingness to destroy all of your families memories with a sledge (there are some issues there i'm not qualified to address, maybe a psychiatrist could). While reading this topic, all I could think of is when I see a kid that disregards a toy then when somebody else wants it he throws a tantrum, hits the other kid, and wants it back or breaks it so others can't play with it. Your family could have donated it to help other families create memories and continue your fathers legacy, or you could have donated it for a tax write-off, or sold it to help cover the funeral costs and cost of handling the estate, instead there was an emotional reaction that over-wrote logic.

Seek grief counseling and probably anger management and please don't blame others for seeing the value of another persons trash.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although destroying things out of spite does seem a bit extreme

I still have to respect the fact he handled it himself, instead of
reporting or Physically harming anyone over it .
even if he does think I'm wrong to feel that way :tongue3:

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Answer that question and you know why I am pissed.

Dude, nobody can figure out why you are so pissed :BangHead: ..... and perhaps that is the point of several of the quite kind responses, here, to this point!
Forest for the trees, and all that.

Ditto what NHBandit and twiasp posted, along with a reiteration of my earlier "Lexapro" post!!!!!!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, nobody can figure out why you are so pissed :BangHead: ..... and perhaps that is the point of several of the quite kind responses, here, to this point!
Forest for the trees, and all that.

Ditto what NHBandit and twiasp posted, along with a reiteration of my earlier "Lexapro" post!!!!!!

If you dont understand why go read his past post in his profile. The whole thing will come to light fast on why its like that.

OP
OP
ryaan21

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people have to justify your behavior any way possible I guess. I am not angry anymore. I thought about it while I was working tonight and I should not have been mad at the people who came to the door to ask. It was not like they knew, but when someone you love more than life itself just died, the last thing we wanted to deal with was someone looking to make some money/take something home. If you cannot understand that, which I think you can, then there is nothing else to say about it.

As far as the people who walked onto the property without permission to rummage through someone elses stuff, it cannot be defended.

I have a question for you all. Simple question.

If you saw a dumpster in someones yard, not on the curb, would you just stroll into the yard and help yourselves? Would you go onto someones private property to take something that didnt belong to you? Because that is what the people who did NOT KNOCK were doing.

As far as the comments about me needing counseling, maybe I do, maybe I dont. Dealing with the loss of the most important person in my life hasnt been easy for a number of reasons I wont go into on this forum.

Oh the stuff that meant anything to us we kept. All of his watches, his knife collection went to us kids, all of his guns went to his brothers and a few were sold to help mom with the funeral/other expenses.

I was not trying to ruffle feathers, and my comment about someone possibly getting shot was taken out of context. Not everyone is so forgiving with trespassers.

And for the record we were not one of those families that is like a bunch of buzzards circling when someone dies waiting to pick over the goodies. I told my parents a long long time ago that i dont want anything, money or material and that when they go to take it all with them or spend it before they go.

And as for the post on my profile, if it is the one I am thinking of, actually look at the author of the post before running your mouth.

And the whole reason I brought this up is I was reading through a list of the metal detectorist rules, the one that is in almost every manual shipped with a detector, and I have seen it posted on various forums and one of the first things on every list is in one form or another, do not go onto property you do not own without permission. But scavenging is not metal detecting I guess and maybe going onto peoples property without permission is permissible in that particular form of treasrue hunting. I do not pretend to know as I have never done it. I could be off base thinking that.

Last edited:

Don't Blink

Apr 17, 2013
Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences for your loss. Everyone handles grief differently. Time is the only thing that lessens the pain in your heart and fills the void that is left.

My experience has been when cleaning out my mother's rental we were thankful for everything that anyone took away some people asked some didn't. Some people paid us a few dollars. As long as it was outside we were fine it was less that we had to pay to have hauled off and it was not on the curb but in the driveway.
It was near the end of the month and we did not want to pay for another month of rent and utilities. So the 'scavengers' helped us out a lot.
My dad had lived in his neighborhood for a long time and when he passed we did not have to do a big clean out but we got lots of requests for small trinkets that people could remember him by.

To answer your question if I was your father's neighbor and I knew that you were cleaning out his house I probably would stroll by and look into the dumpster if there was anything I could see and if I had a need for something I would wait to ask someone. If no one was around, an item was on top of the pile and I would not make a mess I would get it. Especially if it was a to be a memento of your father, my neighbor.
As I have found out neighbors grieve too. You get used to waving at someone or watching someone come and pass the time talking about the crazy weather. And then they are gone and they did not happily move away.

Sincere condolences for your loss.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I lost my mom 2 years ago and it's never easy. All the best to you. I want to leave you with a thought though. You had many many years with your dad and you were obviously very close. I lost mine when I was 6 years old. You have alot to be thankful for.

Last edited:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 2 pages of hate, attacks against other members, questioning people's morals and ethics, not to mention the many many other blatent rule violations in this thread and on the 7 pages of his previous posts. Not to mention taunting moderators or the ones he thinks are. Why hasn't this guy been banned or warned? I've seen some people get banned for farting wrong on here.

This is a head scratcher for sure.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after 2 pages of hate, attacks against other members, questioning people's morals and ethics, not to mention the many many other blatent rule violations in this thread and on the 7 pages of his previous posts. Not to mention taunting moderators or the ones he thinks are. Why hasn't this guy been banned or warned? I've seen some people get banned for farting wrong on here.

This is a head scratcher for sure.

well First off Everyone hasn't been exactly friendly in their responses to him Either.
& perhaps even though I tried my best to
not make my posts too personal, maybe
he even took some of my comments the wrong way also. :dontknow:
add to that, my skin isn't that thin, that I have lost my respect for him yet :tongue3:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryaan to save yourself from future heart ache pay strict attention to Section 552-1-a

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.552 Trespass upon lands or premises of another; exception; violation; penalty; "process server" defined.

Sec. 552.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not do any of the following:

(a) Enter the lands or premises of another without lawful authority after having been forbidden to do so by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.

(b) Remain without lawful authority on the land or premises of another after being notified to depart by the owner or occupant or the agent of the owner or occupant.

(c) Enter or remain without lawful authority on fenced or posted farm property of another person without the consent of the owner or his or her lessee or agent. A request to leave the premises is not a necessary element for a violation of this subdivision. This subdivision does not apply to a person who is in the process of attempting, by the most direct route, to contact the owner or his or her lessee or agent to request consent.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a process server who is on the land or premises of another while in the process of attempting, by the most direct route, to serve process upon any of the following:

(a) An owner or occupant of the land or premises.

(b) An agent of the owner or occupant of the land or premises.

(c) A lessee of the land or premises.

(3) A person who violates subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 30 days or by a fine of not more than $250.00, or both.

(4) As used in this section, "process server" means a person authorized under the revised judicature act of 1961, 1961 PA 236, MCL 600.101 to 600.9947, or supreme court rule to serve process.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condolences to you. I've never dumpster dived, but if someone came to my door, and knocked and asked for something in the trash (or dumpster because we all know where that stuff is going), I'd let them have it. It is better to give than to receive. Trespass is another whole ball game. When my brother died people broke into the house TWICE and stole whatever they wanted off the property and in the garage because the garage door to it was broken. Without a moral standard, who's going to give a d**n**, in English, that's durned, in our society anymore? It's getting cold and dark and desperate out there. This would have never happened when I was a kid back before man set foot on the moon. We are in a very sad place in history.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry about your loss. All that comes to mind to me is the old quote "one mans trash is another mans treasure"

I recently took a thrown out 5 gallon paint can from a dumpster in a driveway of a house being remodeled. I felt kind of weird, but it saved me 5 dollars at home depot for my new trash finds can ....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people have to justify your behavior any way possible I guess. I am not angry anymore. I thought about it while I was working tonight and I should not have been mad at the people who came to the door to ask. It was not like they knew, but when someone you love more than life itself just died, the last thing we wanted to deal with was someone looking to make some money/take something home. If you cannot understand that, which I think you can, then there is nothing else to say about it.

As far as the people who walked onto the property without permission to rummage through someone elses stuff, it cannot be defended.

I have a question for you all. Simple question.

If you saw a dumpster in someones yard, not on the curb, would you just stroll into the yard and help yourselves? Would you go onto someones private property to take something that didnt belong to you? Because that is what the people who did NOT KNOCK were doing.

As far as the comments about me needing counseling, maybe I do, maybe I dont. Dealing with the loss of the most important person in my life hasnt been easy for a number of reasons I wont go into on this forum.

Oh the stuff that meant anything to us we kept. All of his watches, his knife collection went to us kids, all of his guns went to his brothers and a few were sold to help mom with the funeral/other expenses.

I was not trying to ruffle feathers, and my comment about someone possibly getting shot was taken out of context. Not everyone is so forgiving with trespassers.

And for the record we were not one of those families that is like a bunch of buzzards circling when someone dies waiting to pick over the goodies. I told my parents a long long time ago that i dont want anything, money or material and that when they go to take it all with them or spend it before they go.

And as for the post on my profile, if it is the one I am thinking of, actually look at the author of the post before running your mouth.

And the whole reason I brought this up is I was reading through a list of the metal detectorist rules, the one that is in almost every manual shipped with a detector, and I have seen it posted on various forums and one of the first things on every list is in one form or another, do not go onto property you do not own without permission. But scavenging is not metal detecting I guess and maybe going onto peoples property without permission is permissible in that particular form of treasrue hunting. I do not pretend to know as I have never done it. I could be off base thinking that.

It is simple, private property is private property no matter what your looking for....

Ryan was dealing with a loss and grief when it happen and some members seem to have forgotten that.. Don't be so quick to judge someone until you have been in their shoes....

Sorry for the loss of your dad Ryan....

3%

Last edited:

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my dad died my mom had to clean out the old house we all grew up in. To much stuff, none of us kids were living there and it was an old 2 story 4-5 bedroom home. The dumpster was in the yard maybe a day before the scumbag scavengers tried to get into it.

Knocking on the door, while we were all grieving to ask if they could take some stuff out of it. What kind of @#$@#$ does something like this? Yeah there was a ton of nice stuff in there but mom didnt want it anymore.

So to make it a little easier for them to not want to dig in our garbage on private property, we smashed everything in there with an axe and hammer.

I think it is amazing that people think that they can come on to private property. One of these days someone is going to get shot I am guessing.

Just because it is trash, does not give you the right to come onto private property to scavenge it.

Your mom threw a ton of nice stuff away:icon_scratch:
And you are wondering why people want to rescue it from the trash???

Do you now that feeling you get when you dig a merc out of the dirt?
Well dumpster divers get that same tingle when they dig something cool out of the trash.

Last edited:

RvPrepper

Feb 9, 2013
Deming,NM
Detector(s) used
White's V3i Had a Fisher as a kid but can't recall which one. Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I thought I have anger issues, I would gave the stuff away, when mom died I did except the car. Destroying it would have been like hating her or something, hitting and chopping, give man have peace share Love and Trust help folks remember what goes around comes around. Live in peace and prosper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread