Do dumpster divers have no shame?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both of my parents passed away 7 months apart in 2006. I went to every possible length to donate anything and everything the family didn't want. Clothes went to the Salvation Army, Medical supplies/apparatus went to a local non-profit, motorized scooter went to a friends grandmother, other stuff went on Craigslist and I even tried to donate the pills/medication unsuccessfully. We all handle grief differently but I think that many on here are having a hard time a) understanding why someone would willingly throw away "a ton of nice stuff" b) as a treasure hunter not understand why people would want this stuff c) why you felt it was necessary to smash all the stuff out of spite and d) why the need for using a term like "scumbag scavenger" was necessary in the dumpster diving section - seems like it was intended to pick a fight.

One thing that I thought about when deciding what to do with my parents stuff was how would they feel about where these things were going?

I am sorry to hear about your loss. The people who entered your property without permission had no right and you had every right to be upset. Looking back at it all, it probably could have been handled better - but this isn't the first time someone may not have made the best of decisions right after a family member passed. Trust me, I know.

Last edited:

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread makes me think that this was just started to bash dumpster divers. Many times I have seen people get things from the trash not to make a profit but because they needed it. A lady took a couch from a dumpster by us and had her two boys carry home. She was glad to have something as they had no furniture at home. Did you ever look at it that way. There are a lot that don't have much. Wasn't this also a comment in a previous thread by someone else. I am pretty sure I read this awhile back. There's no need to start it over again. Unless you like arguing with everyone.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted on the thread in 2012. That was two years ago. Time to move on.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Where on the property was the dumpster? Just a few feet in, or next to the main structure, out back, where?

Was it easily accessible from the street?

Was it along the path normally used as public access by the post office, delivery people, solicitors and the like?

The supreme court decided that stuff in the garbage can in front of the house is abandoned property. Which is why I'm asking where the dumpster was placed. And I know, 1/2 inch on private property is still private property... just asking.

[h=2]U.S. Supreme Court[/h][h=3]CALIFORNIA v. GREENWOOD, 486 U.S. 35 (1988)[/h]486 U.S. 35CALIFORNIA v. GREENWOOD ET AL.
CERTIORARI TO THE COURT OF APPEAL OF CALIFORNIA, FOURTH APPELLATE DISTRICT

No. 86-684.

Argued January 11, 1988
Decided May 16, 1988

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the dumpster diving garbage picking post. About page 34 or 35.

Yard is posted. Anyone still wants to come in, time to pay the piper.

And no, i don't sit outside watching the garbage, but it amazes me these days what people think they can get away with. Like the people who tried raiding the dumpster after my and brother who posted above, dad died.

Frickin guy wasnt even cold yet and the scum of society thought they were gonna go dumpster diving.....didnt happen.

It got really interesting .

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't post in here, but I wanted to throw an idea out there. This may have already been said, but I'm not spending an hour to real all the posts here.

Sure you were upset at the time, I understand. You were going to throw this stuff away. It would have gone to rot in a dump somewhere. Fine.

But what about those people who wanted to scavenge through your stuff? What if they were unemployed, recently laid off, trying to support their family, and their only income was selling things they found out of people's trash? A few trash bags of cloths could mean absolutely nothing to you, but it could be like Christmas in someones house.

People going on to property to go through TRASH, I have mixed feelings about. But a few months ago, after My sister and I went to school, and My mom went to work, My dad was showering before leaving for work. When he got out of the shower, he heard out side gate slam shut. He went into the front yard to find someone loading up $150 worth of our cans and bottles which were in out back yard. That stuff was most certainly not trash, it is actually our spending money when we go on vacation each year. Anyways, we filed a police report and the scumbag was never found.

Now THEFT, and DUMPSTER DIVING are 2 very different things. This guys STOLE stuff from us that my family counts on. These people who you encountered were going though stuff YOU didn't want and threw away. You really can't blame them.

Lastly, DO NOT stereotype all dumpster divers like this. I don't do it. Never have, no intentions to start any time soon. But when people steriotype me invilving CRH, GS Hunting, and my age, It pisses me off more than anything else, and accomplishes nothing.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grundestoun is right - he posted about this Feb 21, 2012, 12:45 AM

Re: DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2012 page 26

"Yard is posted. Anyone still wants to come in, time to pay the piper.

And no, i don't sit outside watching the garbage, but it amazes me these days what people think they can get away with. Like the people who tried raiding the dumpster after my and brother who posted above, dad died.

Frickin guy wasnt even cold yet and the scum of society thought they were gonna go dumpster diving.....didnt happen."

This post was intended to pick a fight - nothing more and nothing less. Sad the op feels it necessary to tear down the hobby and attack many of the members of this site in a lame attempt at justifying his actions. IMO the moderators should delete this inflammatory thread.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
End it now.......

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Not trying to stir anything up but I had been following this thread with the assumption that this was a recent incident. That's how he came across with the initial post. Now looking back I see that the OP did start a bunch of crap TWO years ago on this very subject, threatened people, called other members names, and generally made a complete ass of himself. Now all of a sudden out of the blue he starts it up all over again as if it's a new topic about an incident that just happened ? Why is this ok ? Looking back at his old posts he's a very angry very rude individual and the majority of his posts are made with the intention of creating drama and spreading hate. Why has HE not been reprimanded for this behavior ?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess they asked at the wrong time!But if they knew the circumstances,should have destroyed them.But they probably didn't mean any harm.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of end it now is hard to understand?

When a mod says end it, it is best to end it.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions