Does anyone else dive in commercial store dumpsters?

Jul 21, 2011
Wv 2 miles from Western,Md
Detector(s) used
Teroso Sand Shark
About ten years ago when I bought my first house I was very heavy into dumpster diving. Can you say just about EVERY morning at six oclock I'd throw my dog in the car and dive behind our local strip mall. The best stores I have ever dived in was Hallmark (especially after each holiday!) Pier One imports ( I have ALOT of nice bowls and things and they may have a minor scratch or dent that you can barely see.)
My daughter is now 23 and sine I used to take her with me, she has her own place and also is starting to dumpster dive. Now that the weather is getting warmer I am going to start up my hobby up again.

what are your favorite stores to dive behind?

4A-GZE

Jan 26, 2014
Lawrenceville, GA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gamestop is the best by far. Usually they just throw away demo consoles, so if you get there at the right time you can score a working games system, often with its own working screen attached. On top of that, you can usually find a lot of video games and accessories, some of which you can actually sell right back to the store (though that seems like a jerk move in my opinion). Since they buy used games and such, they get a lot of new inventory on a daily basis, so it makes sense that they also have to make room just as often.

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dumpsters

Hi, I have seen many people dumpster dive in my time and I have tried to warn all of them of the unseen threat that awaits them. Many dumpsters, especially at supermarkets are absolutely chock full of bacteria, you can't see it, you can't smell it, you can't feel it but it surely can and may very well KILL YOU! I Have been cleaning out estates for more than thirty years and I can tell you for certain that bacteria and mold and other unseen hazards are in those dumpsters.
My advice to any and all dumpster divers is BE AWARE, TAKE PRECAUTIONS, BE SAFE!.....Joe McDonough

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, it just occurred to me that I used to wear $800 suits and spend vacations in Europe, My how the mighty have fallen.......

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, I have seen many people dumpster dive in my time and I have tried to warn all of them of the unseen threat that awaits them. Many dumpsters, especially at supermarkets are absolutely chock full of bacteria, you can't see it, you can't smell it, you can't feel it but it surely can and may very well KILL YOU! I Have been cleaning out estates for more than thirty years and I can tell you for certain that bacteria and mold and other unseen hazards are in those dumpsters.
My advice to any and all dumpster divers is BE AWARE, TAKE PRECAUTIONS, BE SAFE!.....Joe McDonough
I seriously doubt anyone searches Supermarket dumpsters lol. But a good warning for our starving members.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 50's & early 60's, city dumps were open. My parents built a new addition on their house with the scrap lumber, etc. we got at the dump. And me, I added an enormous number of stamps to my postal stamp collection. And I found my first Playboy magazine - the impression that had on my pubescence.....

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually thousands if not millions dumpster dive in supermarkert dumpsters along with fast food dumpsters. Our dumpsters are now under lock and key and can only be filled with a standing manager present to open and lock the dumpster. It is a major problem.....Joe McDonough

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working at a grocery store here in Austin ,TX. we have a law now that only "trash" can go in our trash compactor & all other trash,aka-food scrap has to go in are Compost bins.The composting bins/dumpsters are out back and their locked,only food scrap is allowed.When i'm out there dumping product from the produce department I often have people(mainly bums),wanting the product,which I have to tell them I can't.

reale bill

Feb 8, 2007
scavenging dump/landfill.......not !

was at our local recycling center/dump. felt like diving over the wall to check them out,but no scavenging allowed.cards looked like 60's, 70's. baseballcards.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Actually thousands if not millions dumpster dive in supermarkert dumpsters along with fast food dumpsters. Our dumpsters are now under lock and key and can only be filled with a standing manager present to open and lock the dumpster. It is a major problem.....Joe McDonough
I am referring to Treasurenet members. I doubt any TN members are scavenging dumpsters for food. Besides its not the topic of this thread.

Please start a new thread if you want to talk about homeless people scavenging for food in dumpsters.

Last edited:

GranvilleATPro

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In early 1990's I worked in Loss Prevention at Kmart. I was the guy in charge of the disposal of such goods. We had a demolition kit that consist of sledge hammers, spray paint, etc. To discourage people from diving in dumpsters we would make it as nasty as possible to keep people out. Including opening the expired containers of olives, peanut butter and jelly, you name it, we'd smother everything and then lock it up. Wouldn't you know it we would still catch people prying open the lids and letting their small children slide inside with a flashlight to inspect for any goodies.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess today you have to stick with dumpsters. Two weeks ago I took my brother's garbage to a county dump location, and saw a generic picture with a very nice frame. I grabbed it threw it in my truck. When I tried to leave, the attendant chewed me out mercilessly and made me take it back..... Drats! Living at apartment complexes many years, there were a few times when I saw things of interest I grabbed them up.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usally Frequent Body Shops, You wouldnt belive how many Good shape Car parts they have to trash for insurance purposes

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess today you have to stick with dumpsters. Two weeks ago I took my brother's garbage to a county dump location, and saw a generic picture with a very nice frame. I grabbed it threw it in my truck. When I tried to leave, the attendant chewed me out mercilessly and made me take it back..... Drats! Living at apartment complexes many years, there were a few times when I saw things of interest I grabbed them up.
Sounds like the attendant really wanted that frame. All the ones around me have a pile you cant touch that belongs to the attendant. Should have said what frame? That frame its mine.

Lord Magmar

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
Satellite Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I work as a janitor at Beall's (a clothing/retail store) and am very avid about my dumpster diving escapades there. I have gotten 4 perfectly working Keuregs(and I don't even drink coffee) and so much more. I have gotten so many expensive dish sets I don't know what to do with them.

Last edited:

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
was at our local recycling center/dump. felt like diving over the wall to check them out,but no scavenging allowed.cards looked like 60's, 70's. View attachment 987446

Actually, judging from what I could tell from the backs, they are late '80s and early '90s, from the over production era of baseball cards. Probably not worth your time or effort for the condition they would likely be in and lack of value to begin with.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked out the dumpsters behind a strip mall for the first time a few weeks ago. Ive been selling a lot on ebay and stopped at Staples in a strip mall to check out packing peanuts and shipping supplies. WOW, they are crazy high. A small bag of packing peanuts was $7? I walked out. Got the idea and drove around back. Checked the Staples dumpster and pulled out several used boxes full of packing peanuts, airpacks, Styrofoam pieces. Yay!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago as my wife and I pulled into the campground at Quartsite AZ., I noticed a new dry washer in the dumpster. I mean shiny new, some one must have bought it, became disgusted with their luck, and tossed it.

I had a trailer with dirt bikes on, and couldn't back up easily, so went to the camp site, dropped the trailer, flew back to the dumpster and the guy in the gate house had pulled it out, and put $75.00 on it.:BangHead:

It didn't have the blower, but I should have bought it anyway, it just ticked me off that I missed it, so I didn't buy it.

jdog84532

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So Hey Everyone, this is my first time posting ever on a forum site and I have just started to get into dumpster diving. I had a couple questions if anyone would take the time to answer them. so me and my friends were wondering what are the best stores for finding mainly electronics or tools.... I already know about gamestop and best buy but im looking for other stores. we were also wondering how can we find out when the best day to go is we were thinking sunday as it is right before the week starts but were not sure. so basically those are my main questions and any reply is helpful. Thanks Guys You Rock.

Lord Magmar

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
Satellite Beach, Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't answer some of those questions since I don't know what is around where you live but if I were you I would find out when the dumpsters come to said stores and go the day before.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread