Btw I have a game stop near me that is ripe for the pickin

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive never been busted as I only search where it is legal. Still, have had a cop park and watch me. I don't get inside the dumpsters, as I use a long grabber to move things around and pick things up. I do get some very funny looks though. I don't care. The same people giving me dirty looks are the same ones paying me $$ on ebay for the things I pull out.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 35 years ago, I was standing in a Krogers dumpster handing goodies out to a friend when the manager walked out. He asked what we were using the food for and I replied , our chickens and goats. He then said " ya'll aren't eating any of this are you?" I answered "sometimes we get hungry and....." He said for us to wait a minute and he went inside. A few minutes later, he came out with a buggy full of food for us that was headed toward the dumpster. Nice Guy!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a Winn Dixie that I deliver to, and the dumpsters behind the store always has the locals diving for food that has either expired or gone bad. The whole area stinks, and is crawling with maggots, but that doesn't stop these "freegans" from getting what they want.

OP
OP
housemom6

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a Winn Dixie that I deliver to, and the dumpsters behind the store always has the locals diving for food that has either expired or gone bad. The whole area stinks, and is crawling with maggots, but that doesn't stop these "freegans" from getting what they want.

I hate to say it but when I was a kid we dumpster dove allot for bread and still frozen food. I've been hungry, it sucks I'm sure most of these "freegans" aren't doing it because they like it. Sometimes it's just necessity.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been hungry, it sucks I'm sure most of these "freegans" aren't doing it because they like it. Sometimes it's just necessity.

If anybody here has never gone hungry for four days to a week or so,try it out,I guarantee you'll never do it again.

OP
OP
housemom6

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad and brother did that too. Many a deer hanging in trees out side. Rabbit , pheasant and squirrel.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember hunting for my supper,and I mean with a .22.

My dad worked for stores and he would buy big boxes of bruised fruit and vegetables for pennies on the dollar and my mom would can them for later. For 30 years he worked for Wal-mart and they wouldn't allow their employees to take home bruised or expired items.

Money was really tight for me barely making over minimum wage working for the federal government. I had too many assets (two cars) to qualify for food stamps and a little too proud. I went fishing to feed my kids and wife sometimes. I had a boss that would bring fish to work and give it to me. I found out later he didn't do it because I liked fish, but because I didn't have enough to make it. I would bring the fish home, thaw it out and clean them for supper that night.

Once, we had a company picnic and some of the guys grilling were nice enough to leave a bunch of burgers on the side for me to take home. We ate burgers every night for three days. It was sad but I was grateful.

I am a little in the same boat right now with my disability not covering me like my full-time check, but through all these trials it taught me that if I am willing to do something, we can have a roof and food in our stomachs. I may not have luxuries like satellite or cell phone, but the basics are all you need anyway.

Last edited:

mndigger48

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worked for the county for 40 years parks dept. I always checked th parks dumpsters

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For 30 years he worked for Wal-mart and they wouldn't allow their employees to take home bruised or expired items.
When my daughter was in college (it was an Agriculture college) they had a "farm store" with a lot of gourmet meats and veggies. When these got almost too old to sell everybody got to bring them back to their dorms. My daughter got to eat very well for free.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a dumpster at work, about 25'X10'. For years I've pulled scrap alum, copper, electronics and misc stuff that employees dump. My best haul was six extruded aluminum phone booths, I had permission to remove them.

There's a sign posted in front saying no public scrapping. Sometimes in the evening if I work late, I've seen entire families pulling electronics and other junk. We tend to look the other way.

thezebradude1

Apr 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got caught by one of the staff in some residential. He asked me if I lived here. I thought he meant by living inside the dumpster so, I responded with a sarcastic "Not exactly a hobo". He told me I could have the loot but that was the last time. I actually live around that area so I could of told him that I lived here in an apartment.

-Sometimes you got to lay low or go loud. It will get the job done either way.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never got "busted" but have gotten the usual odd glances and nasty remarks. Usually I am looking for scrap or items of value but I've raided supermarket and a krispy kreme donut distribution facility's dumpsters for tasty treats; thankfully it wasn't due to poverty, moreso proving that there actually is such a thing as a free lunch. I'd go ahead and pilfer any and all if I were you, shouldn't be a problem.

BruiserBrody

May 18, 2011
I pulled an NES and Dreamcast out of a dumpster, along with some games. A guy walked up to me and explained that he warned his old roommate to come get his stuff or he was chucking them. I won that day.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not busted by management but about year ago I would drive to local corner stores and look through the trash cans for lottery tickets.. a person pulled up and asked what I was doing. Well looking for lottery tickets... he replied don't u know those are the looser tickets..In about 6 months found about $300 worthe of winning tickets that people had thrown away...

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy that collects the scratch off tickets out of the trash and enters them into the state's second chance drawing. He won a 4-pack of football tickets once.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread