Documentary photo project is looking for dumpster divers, gleaners, sifters

Coco McCabe

Oct 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, All:

My name is Coco McCabe and I'm working on a documentary photo project for a class. The project is about gleaning--in the broadest sense of the word. I want to explore the notion of super abundance in the U.S. and how most of us don't even know what we have. But gleaners, dumpster divers, sifters--whatever name they give themselves-- do know. They can see the value in all that we toss, from food, to clothing, to electronics. It's that "seeing" and smart re-use of stuff that I want to capture in a series of photographs for my class. Where do people with few means find what they need to survive? How do they get it home? How do they re-imagine their treasures and turn them to good use? These are some of the questions I'd like to answer with the photos.

I'm looking for people in Massachusetts or New Hampshire who would be willing to participate in this project and let me photograph them on their rounds as they look for good stuff, bring it home, and use it. If anyone is interested, could you please get in touch with me at this email address: [email protected]

Thank you for your consideration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread